• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning Cockatiel Chicks

bassam.b

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bassam
Hi All

My Name is Bassam and I am not quite experienced with birds but I really love and care for them.

So, Recently I bought 2 Cockatiel Chicks currently days 27 days old, the issue is there is stiff food on their crop feathers when I brought them in.
I would appreciate recommendation on how to clean their feathers and remove the stiff food
is it possible to wash it off ?

Thanks in Advance

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bassam :starshower1:

Sounds like this could be dried formula?
If so, Get a cloth, dampen it with warm water. Hold it against those feathers very gently for 20 seconds or so. Then gently wipe a couple of times very very gently. Then hold the cloth another 20 seconds or so, then wipe very very gently.... and so on.
This can take quite some time, but formula dries rock solid, so to pick at it or wipe too hard can really hurt the chick.
Just remember to be super gentle and patient :)

bassam.b

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bassam
Welcome to the Avenue Bassam :starshower1:

Sounds like this could be dried formula?
If so, Get a cloth, dampen it with warm water. Hold it against those feathers very gently for 20 seconds or so. Then gently wipe a couple of times very very gently. Then hold the cloth another 20 seconds or so, then wipe very very gently.... and so on.
This can take quite some time, but formula dries rock solid, so to pick at it or wipe too hard can really hurt the chick.
Just remember to be super gentle and patient :)
Hi Zara

I am feeding them a homemade formula (rice, red lentil , Oats, and a bit of biscuits) all grinded then boiled.
I am going to follow your instructions thank you for replying

:tieln:Stay :piedtiel: Safe :tielmu: :pinklol3:

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It may seem like it's not going to work, but trust me it will work ;)

I don't know much about homemade foods, just be sure it's warm when you feed it (105F)