• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Choking/Trouble Swallowing

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she seems to be doing better. To avoid this possibly happening again, take notice of what she was eating and more importantly the "size" of what she was eating. Either increase the size of it so she has to break it down to a swallowable size or decrease the size so she has no problems swallowing it without chewing it down.
It was the smallest size of RoudyBush there is. Thoughts?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Check her throat every day for several days just in case whatever it is is still stuck in her cloaca and starts to cause an infection. Don't assume that she is out of the woods yet.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Check her throat every day for several days just in case whatever it is is still stuck in her cloaca and starts to cause an infection. Don't assume that she is out of the woods yet.
Oh gosh, now I'm so scared. :( I'll take her out later and try and look at her throat.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh gosh, now I'm so scared. :( I'll take her out later and try and look at her throat.
Your job is not to be scared. Your job is to be calm and collected and take care of your bird.
It is a possibility that you don't want to ignore, that something is still stuck in her throat, but it is not likely. Just be smart and follow up on potential problems.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Anyone???
Should i be concerned about infection? Bcasue Im starting to fresak out????

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Your job is not to be scared. Your job is to be calm and collected and take care of your bird.
It is a possibility that you don't want to ignore, that something is still stuck in her throat, but it is not likely. Just be smart and follow up on potential problems.
Okay, feeling much more calm. I'll take a peek at her. Are there any other signs I should look for??

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Anyone???
Should i be concerned about infection? Bcasue Im starting to fresak out????
Don't freak out! Call the vet in the morning and see what they say/ask them what to watch out for so you will have some peace of mind

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't freak out! Call the vet in the morning and see what they say/ask them what to watch out for so you will have some peace of mind
So I took a peek at her throat under the light. It looks fine and clear. Quick question, what colr should her tongue be?

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
It was the smallest size of RoudyBush there is. Thoughts?
The smallest sized pellet, or the crumble?

And don't freak out tonight. Infection doesn't happen in an hour! Think of this as baby steps in preparing you for parenthood...of a human. There are MANY "emergencies" in your future. You'll learn to take care of business without having a nervous breakdown... :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
The smallest sized pellet, or the crumble?

And don't freak out tonight. Infection doesn't happen in an hour! Think of this as baby steps in preparing you for parenthood...of a human. There are MANY "emergencies" in your future. You'll learn to take care of business without having a nervous breakdown... :hug8:
I usually don't break down, but when I'm alone at home and my bird is sick, it's not pretty! :lol:
Thank you for helping me BubleLady.
This is the crumble.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Crumble shouldn't cause a choking problem. Are you sure your bird wasn't trying to feed YOU?
:lol: There was nothing coming out, and I wasn't interacting when it started. Would regurgitating cause breathing trouble?