• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Choking/Trouble Swallowing

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
omgosh- I totally missed this. How is the miniPiggy? I'm glad you had great advice...
:hug8:
Mini-Piggy? :coffeescreen:I love it!! They're all sleeping. Breathing well, and ate a nice big dinner after the ''incident''

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Thanks for caring, Ceclia. :)
Oh for sure, ...I got spooked the other day cuz Ki's poop was too green! There is no worse feeling than when something goes wrong, you feel so helpless. But- these times also help build your knowledge on how to deal with it, to better help for future.
Besides, she was probably just performing the latest Aussie disco move. You know how weird they are. :lol:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just seeing this, Im glad shes ok. My dove was choking once and I had to grab a small no needle syringe and stick it down her throat to clear it!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
:lol: There was nothing coming out, and I wasn't interacting when it started. Would regurgitating cause breathing trouble?
No, I don't think so. On the breathing. Gussie regurge so for me but never actually brings anything up. Which is why I asked. But no breathing problems, either. Curious.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Just saw this. Glad she seems okay now.

If it helps, sometimes Lola makes a really funky motion when she's eating or just after. I realized it ONLY happens when she's eating almonds because they're her absolute favorite food in the entire world and she goes nuts for them. I recently put her on a bit of a diet and so she goes even crazier for them to the point that when she gets one or finds one foraging, she gets so excited that she practically sucks it down. I noticed that when she does this, she starts doing this weird head bobbing motion that sounds a lot like what your budgie was doing. Looks different from crop stretching because it's a little quicker paced in the motion, almost looks like there's something stuck in her throat that she's trying to bob down. I find she's perfectly fine after sipping some water to help it move along, or if she eats something else that knocks it down for her. She does this pretty often :p and she's perfectly fine. I think Ebenhard will be just fine, poor girl just has an appetite on her like Miss Lola. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks all for weighing in with your experiences!! Often after eating, she'll adjust her crop, but this was so violent, and she was very distressed (as was I!)
@lotus15 Thanks for your advice!! Lil' miss Ebenhard has eye's bigger than her crop! :lol:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Just seeing this, Im glad shes ok. My dove was choking once and I had to grab a small no needle syringe and stick it down her throat to clear it!
Good job. Your quick thinking really saved her. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Just reading his. Glad Ebenhard is doing ok.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Phew, glad everything's okay with the little lady.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm glad youre baby is better!

I dont know if this was your bird's problem, but my maroon belly conure has gotten things stuck in her upper palate multiple times. I know when it happens because she starts rubbing her beak against things, bobbing her head, drinking water, and as the swelling progresses, making gurgling sounds while breathing. Almost everytime it has happened, I have taken her to the vet, where they have had to put her under, to extract the seed. I believe that we have made at least 3-4 trips to the vet for this. Once or twice, the seed has dislodged itself while I have tried to catch her to take her to the vet. The vet said that some birds have a forked upper palate, allowing things to get caught.

It seems to happen only at night while she is eating her seed in her night cage dish. I believe this is because she is tired and not paying attn. while eating. I know she can make it through the night, but I take her to the vet first thing in the AM. Neither of us sleep well, I think. It has happened so often, that I now have a routine in place. I drop her off at the vets on my way to work and pick her up that night on my way home. She is such a well adjusted bird that I always pick up a cheerful playful bird, not one bit stymied by the strange people at the vet or the procedure. The last time I picked her up she was playfully dunking her foot toys in her water dish. I was so happy my little bird was okay.

I worry that this happens to birds owned by pple who arent as observant as we are, and these birds eventually die of abscess.

To prevent this, I do not give her millet as I am afraid it will get caught. I change her seed and food in the night cage every day, so there are no broken seeds or hulls in the dish to get caught. It hasnt happened in a couple yrs., but I watch her closely and have the pet sitter watch her closely to make sure it doesnt happen again.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad youre baby is better!

I dont know if this was your bird's problem, but my maroon belly conure has gotten things stuck in her upper palate multiple times. I know when it happens because she starts rubbing her beak against things, bobbing her head, drinking water, and as the swelling progresses, making gurgling sounds while breathing. Almost everytime it has happened, I have taken her to the vet, where they have had to put her under, to extract the seed. I believe that we have made at least 3-4 trips to the vet for this. Once or twice, the seed has dislodged itself while I have tried to catch her to take her to the vet. The vet said that some birds have a forked upper palate, allowing things to get caught.

It seems to happen only at night while she is eating her seed in her night cage dish. I believe this is because she is tired and not paying attn. while eating. I know she can make it through the night, but I take her to the vet first thing in the AM. Neither of us sleep well, I think. It has happened so often, that I now have a routine in place. I drop her off at the vets on my way to work and pick her up that night on my way home. She is such a well adjusted bird that I always pick up a cheerful playful bird, not one bit stymied by the strange people at the vet or the procedure. The last time I picked her up she was playfully dunking her foot toys in her water dish. I was so happy my little bird was okay.

I worry that this happens to birds owned by pple who arent as observant as we are, and these birds eventually die of abscess.

To prevent this, I do not give her millet as I am afraid it will get caught. I change her seed and food in the night cage every day, so there are no broken seeds or hulls in the dish to get caught. It hasnt happened in a couple yrs., but I watch her closely and have the pet sitter watch her closely to make sure it doesnt happen again.
She is soooo lucky to have such an observant parront! I too worry about what would happen if I wasn't there. :(
She's doing very well today. I appreciate everybirdy's support and advice!! :)

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I'm sure it's just regurg behavior, nothing serious. The bobbing, bringing up food and eating it back down is simply affectionate hormonal behavior. When parrots are sick, they whip their heads from side to side. Bobbing is absolutely nothing to worry about :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sure it's just regurg behavior, nothing serious. The bobbing, bringing up food and eating it back down is simply affectionate hormonal behavior. When parrots are sick, they whip their heads from side to side. Bobbing is absolutely nothing to worry about :)
Thank you. I wouldn't have worried because she normally adjusts her crop (thanks Victoria!) but this was like nothing I've ever seen before. She was in respiratory distress.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Rockybird...I have a human friend whose palate is so high and narrow that she once got a piece of raw spinach stuck in it while we were eating out. She had no idea that her palate wasn't "typical"! :lol: