• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Choking/Trouble Swallowing

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was cleaning my room when I looked at Ebenhard. She keeps bobbing her head the past few minutes. I think there might be a pellet lodged in her mouth?? I tried giving her a bit of water, not usre if she got any though. I gave her some millet to see if swallowing that would move the pellet.
Help; thanks!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
She breathes kind of fast and hard while bobbing, rests a moment, then bobs again. I though she stopped but she's doing it agin.

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
She might be adjusting her crop...is she still doing it?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
when she bobs her eyes get kinda watery, her wings come off her body. sorry for bad grammr.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
do they do this if they need to vomit? i have never seen a bird vomit...sorry my comment isnt an answer and is unhelpful :(

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I'm not quite sure...I watched a few YouTube budgies adjusting their crop and read about it on a budgie forum

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
do they do this if they need to vomit? i have never seen a bird vomit...sorry my comment isnt an answer and is unhelpful :(
yeah but they wouldn' keep keep doing it. It seems better. she hasn't done it for a minute. :huh: Sorry if I wasted this thread. serioulsy though she was choking and she really didn't sseem to be breathing well.
I'll keep you posted.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. She wasn't adjusting her crop (watched videos) I think she really was choking.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she now? So scared when I saw this!
Me too! Wasn't worried at first, but after 5 minutues, I was sure she was struggling to stay alive. I mean, she was breathing funny, her eyes were watering, and she was making weird nosies and movements.

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Ekkkk...is she ok? Or still doing the weird stuff?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
She seems to have stopped....thank god. You can tell it's an emergency by my grammer!! :lol:
I really think she was choking, not adjusting. Scares me how she could have died.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks so much for the help!
My vet couldn't have helped because you wait 3 minutes to talk to a person, they take your info, and call you back 15 minutes later.
Thank you all soooo much!

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
She seems to have stopped....thank god. You can tell it's an emergency by my grammer!! :lol:
I really think she was choking, not adjusting. Scares me how she could have died.
Oh I didn't even notice! My brain was frantically reading so I must have skipped over it! That is so scary! Hopefully she got out/passed whatever was obstructing her!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I didn't even notice! My brain was frantically reading so I must have skipped over it! That is so scary! Hopefully she got out/passed whatever was obstructing her!
Thanks soooooooooooo much. IDK what I would have done. She's back to being a hungry pig, so I think all is well.
Sorry if this was a waste of 911. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm glad she seems to be doing better. To avoid this possibly happening again, take notice of what she was eating and more importantly the "size" of what she was eating. Either increase the size of it so she has to break it down to a swallowable size or decrease the size so she has no problems swallowing it without chewing it down.