• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipper's Feathers

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
So this thread is for advice, and also for myself to keep track of Chipper's feather progression (or not).
From what I can see, maybe it looks more like chewing than plucking? He smells pretty strongly like cigarettes (the owner of the rescue's husband smokes) and I'm not sure how long it's been since he had a bath. I misted him today, but he wasn't too sure about it, so I didn't do much. I hope we can see some progress eventually, but we'll see.. IMG_20190921_100630.jpg IMG_20190921_100613.jpg IMG_20190921_100636.jpg IMG_20190921_100634.jpg

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Edit...I've been watching him preen, his chest is bald under those downy feathers.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You know something? To me it almost looks like he's been to a grooming parlour and they've trimmed his feathers. He does look very thin on the breast, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Ripshod I do know he was clipped a few months ago, so the wing feathers I expected to be altered.
I was just looking at the second pic and the tail feathers just looked a bit squared off at the ends. I never had a larger parrot myself so I don't know how they should be. It wasn't an opinion, just an observation. He's a very handsome boy ;)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We had our first great preening session today, and he has TONS of pin feathers, including his wings and tail. I am feeling optimistic about the bulk of his body, even if his chest is naked, or mostly naked.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He does look like he barbs his feathers some... over preening. In time when he's adjusted I'd give him a good shower but don't over load him right away. What a frickin' shame the owner of the rescue's husband has the audacity to smoke around the birds! Get him on a great diet, rich vegetables, quality pellets. @JLcribber makes a treat for his Toos with red palm oil and ?????

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Looks like your typical middle aged caged cockatoo. Feathers don't look that bad at all. They all seem to over preen a bit.

There are many tracts of bare skin on your bird. The chest over the crop being one of them.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks, @JLcribber ! There are plenty of bare spots, including some on his legs. He is FLYING through his toys, so I wonder if maybe he was bored, and that contributed to what may or may not have already been a problem. At the rate he's going, two or three items are being destroyed daily, and I'm super proud of him!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks, @JLcribber ! There are plenty of bare spots, including some on his legs. He is FLYING through his toys, so I wonder if maybe he was bored, and that contributed to what may or may not have already been a problem. At the rate he's going, two or three items are being destroyed daily, and I'm super proud of him!
Busy beaks are happy beaks!!!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Don't worry! I'll make sure Santa brings you a new broom and dustpan for Christmas!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@EkkieLu Thank goodness we've been saving cardboard boxes, paper bags, etc! He's a man on a mission to destroy! Between him and the toddler, I'll be sweeping just a few hundred times a day ! He's also eating a ton! Cauliflower, broccoli, corn, banana, dates, peppers, cucumber...The feeling of pride when a shy bird opens up is amazing! Still no screams, I thought for sure we'd get some today when he got excited and danced around with his crest up, but nope! Counting my blessings over here :hehe:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It looks like he over preens his tail feathers. Elvis does this same thing. I don't think it's really an issue. Elvis just does everything with gusto and it looks like Chipper does too. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That toy destruction can also be an outlet of a subliminal something that's also bothering him. Maybe the change of homes, we can never know their thoughts.

Light and busy chewing is great. I have watched mine in the last few weeks destroy big toys very quickly, to barely touching them.

Again, something triggering the destruction, to none. Then on to feather picking worse then weeks before.

Many asked questions, and no answers. I can tell you a year later, me being home last week was worse for her feather picking. She was resorting to that, then toys. I was home, but in and out and she knew it. Sheer frustration and her channel was her feathers, not the toys and she has all sorts of things to be busy.

In the end, she wanted me. So back to work, she is tearing up toys, foot toys and seeming to leave herself alone again.

Rinse and repeat, it's the Cockatoo life! :)

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Chipper has plucked a large bald spot onto his chest :grumpy: We went grocery shopping for just over an hour, then came home and went right upstairs with two sleeping babies for another 2 hours. So who knows if it happened while we were gone, or while we were upstairs. Either way, I am beginning to understand the pit in your stomach feeling you get when you see that pile of feathers in the cage. My poor baby.

What tests other than the basic CBC and fecal and gram stain do you all reccomend getting at the vet?

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Oh no :sad7:. Poor you and poor Chipper.