• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipper's Feathers

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So this thread is for advice, and also for myself to keep track of Chipper's feather progression (or not).
From what I can see, maybe it looks more like chewing than plucking? He smells pretty strongly like cigarettes (the owner of the rescue's husband smokes) and I'm not sure how long it's been since he had a bath. I misted him today, but he wasn't too sure about it, so I didn't do much. I hope we can see some progress eventually, but we'll see.. View attachment 315690 View attachment 315691 View attachment 315692 View attachment 315693

Feathers look fine. Too's, we'll some, can over do it when grooming their feathers. And that's typical with too's, as they have more powder than other birds, so they tend to groom alot.
Misting... some birds like it, others don't. I have a shower perch which I can move to kitchen and greyson will play in running water. Hates being misted. Poppers is the opposite, loves a mist, hates running water. Both love a big shallow bowl of water to splash in.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he was okay when you went away this time. I think everyone gave you great advise already, but I'll second that I always tell Elvis when I'm going out. I used to do the same with Sunny. They do understand to some degree. I always tell Elvis- I'm leaving for work now. I'll be back at the regular time. Or I'm just running to the store, I will only be gone for a little bit, etc. I once told my cockatiel Sunny- we're going to go and visit grandma for the day and he was going with us.. And then, our plans changed but I didn't tell Sunny. He kept flying to the kitchen (where the back door was) all morning, which was weird for him. Until I finally figured out, he's afraid we're leaving without him. I explained to him that we weren't going after all. And as crazy as it sounds, he was fine after that and calmly hung out with me in the living room then.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
And as crazy as it sounds, he was fine after that and calmly hung out with me in the living room then.
Not crazy at all. They are keenly connected to the environment and energy. They have a very fine tuned system for empathic energies .

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad he was okay when you went away this time. I think everyone gave you great advise already, but I'll second that I always tell Elvis when I'm going out. I used to do the same with Sunny. They do understand to some degree. I always tell Elvis- I'm leaving for work now. I'll be back at the regular time. Or I'm just running to the store, I will only be gone for a little bit, etc. I once told my cockatiel Sunny- we're going to go and visit grandma for the day and he was going with us.. And then, our plans changed but I didn't tell Sunny. He kept flying to the kitchen (where the back door was) all morning, which was weird for him. Until I finally figured out, he's afraid we're leaving without him. I explained to him that we weren't going after all. And as crazy as it sounds, he was fine after that and calmly hung out with me in the living room then.
Oh my gosh that's the dearest thing. Sunny was so special. Many of my birds have seemed to understand so much. I totally agree with talking to our birds about what they can expect.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When I leave I say to Lola and Henry... "See ya later alligator!" So cute when Henry says it back... perfectly. The very first time he said to me when I brought their food to them " Are ya hungry? You want some food?" my eyes bugged out and I knew then I could never cuss around them.. a habit I can't seem to quit but control it around them especially.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
He's looking more and more like a normal Too. I'm excited for the day that his wings are large and gorgeous like they're supposed to be, not hacked off with a pair of scissors. He may never fly again, but I can tell that he wants to. I'm very proud of him!