• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chipper's Feathers

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How many feathers? Take a picture of the spot and show us please.

Your vet "should" know what tests to run. The ones you mention cover most things. Do not be surprised if the tests come back fine. This new life with all its stress is just the kind of thing that triggers or re-triggers problem behaviours of the past. Plucking is a very complicated issue with no easy answer. If you want reading material just say the word.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Here's the word, John! I did see the stickied articles on this forum and plan to sit down and read them tonight.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Love My Zons It really is heartbreaking! It was the first time the 4 of us have all left at the same time, though I've left with the girls before. I hope he'll learn in time that when we leave, it's not for long. We won't leave for more than 4 or so hours without bringing him with us, but he doesn't know that yet!
It's nice to know there are so many people sharing the same struggles and feeling this way, it's a hard pill to swallow that no matter what, this may be our life. But he is our family forever, no matter what.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It is very perplexing and atleast since he's new, you know that leaving him alone set him off. That would be my take on what happened today.

Maybe the next time out, leave on a TV in his sight, so he isn't alone

Trial and error my Dear! I feel you, you saw what mine did in a week I was home, just going in and out.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. He's snipping them off.

This attention thing is very common. You can not be with him every waking moment. It's not healthy and just not doable. You do need to "slowly" teach him some kind of independence for his own good and your sanity. I can tell you right now from doing this a long time that consistency and routine is the secret. They are truly creatures of habit. The more you can accommodate that the less stress and anxiety there will be. They learn what to expect and when to expect it. That translates to minimum/no stress.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Well, our routine doesn't really deviate much, except for maybe a few hours out once or twice a week. The perk of having little ones is that there is a nap time to be home for everyday!
I'm debating now if we should bring him with us to dinner at my in laws tomorrow. I don't want him to lose more feathers, but I also don't want to stress him out with travel and a new place. They have a large, loud dog, so even in his cage, he may be worried about her. Plus he has yet to step up for us, so there's that hurdle too. Maybe I'll just load up some foraging toys and leave the TV or radio on...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh gosh.. I'm sorry he did that. I hope in time he will become more adjusted to his alone time and leave his feathers alone.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm debating now if we should bring him with us to dinner at my in laws tomorrow. I don't want him to lose more feathers, but I also don't want to stress him out with travel and a new place.
Chelsea, your dedication is admirable. I have a Green-Winged Macaw and not a Cockatoo so I may be off base here but I still would like to mention a few things for thought.

My GWM is feather destructive, he twists and snips his feathers when things don't go his way. His definition of things not going his way can include anything he would like, would not like, something he's thinking about that he likes or doesn't like; whether real or perceived, something I did, something I didn't do, a noise he heard, etc., you get the idea.

When I first got him, I jumped through hoops and was very reactive to what he did. I would do anything for him so he would not have a chance to be feather destructive. That plan was exhausting mentally and physically and not in his best interest. I found he took full advantage and upped the ante by being even more demanding. He actually learned from my teaching that if he twisted or snipped his feathers I would come running or change the routine.

May I suggest that you do your best to set him up to succeed. Adjust as needed for the ebbs and flows of owning a parrot that has feather destructive tendencies. Know that you're doing your best for him at this time in his life and please don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you're a very kind leader and my experience with a bird that has feather destructive tendencies has shown me that I have to be the leader, making the right choices and I can't allow my bird to control the situation with what he might do to his feathers or it can get worse. I hope I'm conveying my thoughts well, words can be difficult sometimes when trying to explain something.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Karen I think I understand! You're right, my first instinct is to do everything in my power to keep him from continuing the behavior! I'm sure that every captive parrot feels stress and gets upset, but seeing it literally as a bald spot is so hard to handle.
Chipper is so incredibly sweet and kind, he gave me a proper Too cuddle today, though he wouldn't let his feet leave the cage! Just leaned up against my arm while I pet his head. So lovely! But it makes me worry about leaving him later.
I've cleaned and rearranged his cage for today, plus we have delayed our leaving until later this afternoon, so he's got a few more hours with us at home. I will go upstairs with the girls at 12ish for their nap, and also to help him slowly come to terms with me leaving, instead of us all suddenly walking out the door like yesterday. I may have us leave out of a different door.

I want so badly to hold him and keep him safe and comfortable forever, but like our children, it's not best for them. He has to be independent, which he is already doing a good job of...I need to not spoil it by creating an environment where he is coddled and incapable of being alone. So I'll set him up for success by giving him the absolute best food, vet care, toys, cage, etc...then we'll go and eat dinner with our family and enjoy ourselves and come home to a happy boy, hopefully!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My GWM is feather destructive, he twists and snips his feathers when things don't go his way. His definition of things not going his way can include anything he would like, would not like, something he's thinking about that he likes or doesn't like; whether real or perceived, something I did, something I didn't do, a noise he heard, etc., you get the idea.

When I first got him, I jumped through hoops and was very reactive to what he did. I would do anything for him so he would not have a chance to be feather destructive. That plan was exhausting mentally and physically and not in his best interest. I found he took full advantage and upped the ante by being even more demanding. He actually learned from my teaching that if he twisted or snipped his feathers I would come running or change the routine.

Dead on the money. Feather destructive behaviour is a coping mechanism and coping can be for any reason. Real or imagined. PTSD for birds if you will.

We imprison these majestic creatures which goes against every fibre of their being. It's a miracle they survive at all.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
instead of us all suddenly walking out the door like yesterday. I may have us leave out of a different door
Have a conversation with him, tell him you're leaving, you love him, you will be back soon and what you expect him to do while you're gone. I always tell my Kady that I expect him to eat. :) I always give a treat when I'm leaving. It's the same story everyday, it's the same treat everyday, it's the same routine all the time for leaving. Chipper will catch on soon enough to the routine, that you're leaving and that you will return.

Edited to add: He knows you're home even if you don't go see him, so I would suggest when you get home, check in on him even if you can't stay with him but a minute. Tell him you're home and will be spending time with him shortly. Offer a nut or foot toy to keep him busy until you can return.

so I'll set him up for success by giving him the absolute best food, vet care, toys, cage, etc...then we'll go and eat dinner with our family and enjoy ourselves and come home to a happy boy, hopefully!
Yes!

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chelsea, one other thing, I'm concerned about the cigarette smell he has on his feathers and skin. When he goes to the vet would you try to remember to ask the vet about that. My bird also came from horrid conditions and I had to actually shower/bathe him with a very diluted baby shampoo to get rid of the nicotine and chemicals. Now mind you, this was 15+ years ago, so I hesitate to suggest that method to you being that I don't have a cockatoo and maybe today there are better methods for cleaning him. But I don't feel given the circumstances that it's good for that 2nd. hand smoke to remain on his feathers longer than need be.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Good call @Karen , I'll be sure to mention it! Thankfully the smell is fading with our misting, but poor boy needs a shower. Based on today, I'd hope we're days away from then. He's really opened up this morning, I'm sure he'll be stepping up very soon! I've been waiting to visit the vet until then, I didn't want to overload him before he trusted me at all. Thankfully he saw a vet for a quick check up a few months ago with the rescue, so we know he has no immediate health concerns, but of course he needs his bloods and such done.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I left him with a new foraging toy, an entire mini pumpkin to destroy, and rearranged his cage. Plus a light on and talk radio on. I've used the Alexa to talk to him a few times, and tell him he's a good bird and we'll be home soon! Fingers crossed he won't be nude when we get home :heart:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
What tests other than the basic CBC and fecal and gram stain do you all reccomend getting at the vet?
Complete Comprehensive Metabolic panel.
A CBC Is complete blood count .

Metabolic panel testing is an intensive work-up of how the organs are functioning...kidneys, liver, heart, etc.

Good to spend the extra ,for a new bird, to get a baseline analysis.

I usually do complete Metabolic tests every other year, after that , a wellness checkup every year.

Last edited: