• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Parrot Butter"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've never seen a parrot that will turn down a piece of bread with some butter on it. White bread and butter are not good for them so I came up with what I call a super food.

It is made with Raw Organic Coconut Oil, Hemp hearts (seeds), Chia seed and a little bit of Red Palm Oil which also gives it the right color to "look" like butter. I spread it on some multi whole grain bread and give them one or two pieces a day.

It's great for underweight birds to put some weight on them. For over weight birds the coconut oil actually helps them to lose weight.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do they eat the butterlike food or just the bread? My guys would probably eat both...is the "butter" hot?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sure mine would love this!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do they eat the butterlike food or just the bread? My guys would probably eat both...is the "butter" hot?
It's room temperature. If it was hot or even warm the coconut oil would be liquid. If you keep it in the fridge it's too hard to spread. They eat the whole thing. Even if they just picked the seeds off it they are covered in the coconut oil and RPO. A big part of the attraction is the "texture". All birds like (small) seed and this plays right into that except this is highly nutritious seed.

I warm up the oil to liquid form to mix it all together and then let it cool down again so it is "spreadable".

I've been feeding it for quite a few years now. Their blood work always comes back with very good numbers.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One night I was cooking and setting the table for dinner Jasper was sitting on the back of one of the chairs. I put out salt, pepper and butter as usual, then turned my back and did something at the stove. When I turned back to the table, Jasper was contentedly eating chunks of butter.She was seriously offended that I made her quit. Butter is just what she needs with her CHF and atherosclerosis - NOT.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I noticed how all my parrots are drawn to pure fats like butter, margarine and cheese. They chow down on them any time they can find them. Emmie CAG would kill for a piece of bread with melted cheese on it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Thanks John. Interesting.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh thanks, John! I might even try just putting the red palm oil on bread or toast! 3 of mine like bread or toast with margarine; Quack likes it with peanut butter; Itsy with almond butter. None are too fond of pellets with rpo so I hadn't figured out a way to get them to eat it, but they might just on bread! :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I only use the bread as a carrier. What I really want them to eat is the coconut oil, the hemp seed and the chia seed. That is where all the good stuff is.

I consider that stuff a natural vitamin supplement. Complete proteins, omegas, medium chain fatty acids, amino acids, Phytosterols and the list goes on.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where do you get your hemp and chia seeds? I may want to try it.

None of my birds are big on seed eaters, except my littles and Mali. Even Moby doest get hyped up about seeds. And he was on a seed diet for all his life before me! Opa gets hyped up over zupreem pellets, and Mera prefers nuts to seeds.

I always spring small amount of seeds on Mali's veggies and she does pick through it and even eats the veggies. :) So maybe this is something I want to try. All my guys tend to eat healthy but Mali is probably my pickiest.. and maybe Pinky too. :):o:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

But I also grabbed this little baggie of "cereal" at the regular grocery store the other day- Qi'a - it has hemp, chia, and buckwheat.

I saw that at Costco the other day too. I was going to get some but I don't need it yet.

TXTorres

Meeting neighbors
Looks delish!

How does the coconut oil help them lose weight and will this work on me too? :lol:

But in all seriousness, I need to buy some more coconut oil!

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Mine get a small piece of toast every morning with coconut oil or RPO as well, I usually sprinkle herb salad on top too, but I LOVE this idea and Im totally going to try this parrot butter.

I have stopped feeding multi grain bread though. I found sprouted bread at our local grocery store.
Silver Hills

So this is what I feed now, I freeze it and just take out 3 pieces every morning, 1 for them and 2 for me ;)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My 3 toast eaters are now eating toast with just red palm oil. I had to start Darwin with margarine covering the RPO but he quickly converted to just RPO. So now I just have to figure out how to get Tiki eating RPO as she probably needs it more than any of them. She is picky and doesn't eat anything warm, moist, cooked, mushy or smelling any different than what she is used to. :rolleyes: