• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary and finch

Bubu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bubu
Hello!

I've been wanting to get me a little bird for a while and I'm really interested in canaries and finches (zebras specifically). I was wondering if I can get a female canary and a female finch in the same cage or if it would be bad for the canary? I've read that canaries don't mind being alone but I've also seen several videos of experienced owners who have put canaries and finches in the same cage. Would they be ok? Or if I dont get a finch (not sure if the breaders here breed finches too) would two female canaries be ok? The cage will be pretty large to accomondate them.

It's just that I do work at around 9 hours per day so I don't want the bird to feel lonely plus I will get them from a local breeder here and I will get young ones.

Also any tips for canaries and finches like best toys for the cage, lighting, etc.would be much appreciated!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I strongly advise against mixing finches and canaries in a cage. There will not be enough room for the birds. Seeing an internet personality do this, does not make it a good idea. These are both territorial species and the canary can kill a zebra finch.

I think it may help for you to spend time with zebra finches and some canaries and decide which birds you are most interested in. Getting both species can happen later on in a few years when you have more experience with bird care. Zebra finches are social with their own species and if you go that route you can have 2 birds or 6+ to maintain a peaceful flock. One advantage of zebra finches is the ease of sexing the birds (with the exception of a few rarer mutations). All males have cheek patches, all females lack cheek patches. You can keep all one sex of bird. If you decide you would rather get a canary that is also fine, but both at once is a lot of work. Probably more than you can imagine at this point. :)

I personally have zebra finches. I adore them.

Bubu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bubu
Thank you for the reply :) it was really helpful. And yes you're right, if I decide to get 2 birdies I'll probably get 2 canaries to keep each other company but in seperate cages too

fluff86

Walking the driveway
One thing I want to point out is that some canaries can be territorial. Its possible you can keep a male and female canary together in the same cage if they are bonded or two bonded Zebra Finches in a cage together, I would not mix them unless you have a good sized aviary.

Canaries of the same gender can be kept in a cage together but the flock must contain at least 4 to 6 canaries minimum.