• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can my budgie and my cat coexist?

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I’m getting a budgie but I have a cat, is there any way for them to coexist? How should I keep my budgie safe?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
No, they can't, not in the same room.
Even if the budgie is in their cage it's not safe for them to be together.

If they're in the same home you'll need to keep them separate and avoid accidental escapes/exposures (which becomes more challenging if you share your home with others).

You will find people online who will tell you it's ok because they've done it for years, but that is akin to somebody telling you they don't wear their seatbelt while driving and it's never been an issue.

In either case, when an accident happens, the outcome is often severe for the bird (and tragic because it could have been avoided).

Winn

Jogging around the block
My roommate has cats. I have budgies.
The cats are not allowed in my room where my birds are. The budgies' cage is inside an aviary... they are not allowed outside the aviary to fly around my room. (I also have dogs.)
It is possible to have both in the same house but it is not possible for them to "coexist". They would have to be kept separate at all times and there needs to be a way to ensure the cat never accidentally gets access to the bird(s).

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Not in the same room. As well-trained as any animal is, it all eventually comes down to Predator And Prey. Instinct could always kick in and one hit or bite from your cat can kill your bird. Walls and doors are your best friend in cases like these, i have a cat, dog and bird, Spearmint (my GCC) isnt allowed near the other pets and vice versa.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I think it's like saying, can I be in the water with a hungry shark nearby? Yes... for a very short while. :sad4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know lots of great bird/cat owners and they work hard to keep their birds and cats separate and safe but with time dedicated to each animals needs fairly.

It´s not impossible, but you must be responsible and dedicated.

Winn

Jogging around the block
One door accidently left open, one time, is all it takes. So in a nutshell, the answer is "no".
Cats are quick to enter. Birds are quick to exit. There would have to be multiple "checkpoints".
It's "doable".. it's not "easy".
I'm lucky to have multiple barriers. I still don't let my guard down.

My dogs for example have never threatened my birds. I do not allow them in the same space.
It's not worth the risk.