• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birdie get strep?

RebeccaZM

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Hello,
I’ve been sick with an extremely sore throat since Thursday 8/11 and was diagnosed with strep yesterday. What I want to know is can birds get strep or get sick from their human in the same room? Obi’s cage is in my room and in hind sight I don’t know why I didn’t change rooms to stay away from him. I have avoided all contact with him and thoroughly washed my hands when dealing with his food and water. Poor baby kept flying to my hair like normal but I put him back on his cage every time. Any time I needed to blow my nose I left the room and washed my hands. Do you think he’s safe? I am on antibiotics now and I will be extra vigilant watching for any signs he may have contracted something.
Thank you!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds are susceptible to streptococcal bacteria, although I don't know fi they are susceptible to the strain that causes human streptococcus. It sounds as if you are taking proper precautions ad as long as you don't kiss hor allow her near your nose or mouth.