• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique adopter

Fowler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jennifer
hi everyone I’ve been using this sight for quite some time for information, insight, tips and solutions to questions. So thank you avian Avenue for existing. So I figured why not join. My last name really is Fowler my new avian vet thinks it’s funny.. I do to now that I’m a bird mom.

Anyways I recently adopted 2 caiques about a month ago, they are male and female (no I do not plan on breeding). They came from a home where the owner had them for about 2 years for the female and about 1 year for the male. The owner got pregnant herself and the birds landed a one way ticket to the basement in a cage suited for budgie with one dowel perch and a mountain of poo. By the time I got them they were already over preening. But it actually seems to have progressed which is why I’m so sad.

The female Poppy is worse for the wear she will be 3 on May 10th. She is pulling a lot of her tummy feathers out and stripping her wings pretty good too, the vet said it was stress as they passed their physical with flying colors and their float tests came back normal.

I know it will be a bit of an adjustment till they’re settled. But I’m hoping to find the best solutions for their stress, with some insight maybe caique owners can weigh in on what I can do to help her transition better. They are in a 32x23x53 now and plan on getting a bigger one once I move in May. (Buying a larger home) cage suggestions would be great.

They were fed a generic seed diet for cockatiels, which I’m working on changing with a bean mix, lots of greens, veggies, and we are trying lefebers (spelling?) avicakes which were a hit today. I’m considering trying avi calm till they’re transitioned better and maybe not plucking as much. I’m leaving the seed to free feed on just in case for now. They are good eaters but I would like to hear thoughts on lefebers as well. They try most anything I hand them tho.

I live in New England so I’m thinking about trying some avian lighting for them also since I don’t think they got any in the basement they were in. They’re cage is against a window now that gets good light but I’m still concerned since we live in a back facing Boston apartment.

What would this be without a couple of photos of them. Even tho they’re scruffy I think they are beautiful♥.

Hanging out in a jade plant. The female is the higher in both photos the bearded man is my animal whispering better half. I named the boy Gizmo since he sounds like a gremlin when he opens his beak. D422A14E-6B27-4676-A0C9-814B47C9DCA8.jpeg D6A2F846-B3A9-420E-85E5-47D6D484E1B9.jpeg

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Ahhhhh, they're all so cute (including the bearded human you've got there, well done!). I don't know if you do this already or not, but I cover my birds at night and make sure they get at least 12 hours of total darkness. You could also try making eggs for them for that added hit of calcium (with the shells). Did you get them cuttlebones?

And plannnnts. Lots and lots of bird-safe plants! My birbs love their plants. I've got aloe veras, jades, hen and chicks, wandering jews, spider plants, ect ect. You could even potentially use them to cover one side of their cage so they have a corner they can go hide in when they're scared. Preening toys might also help, along with natural wooden branches. If you've got a bird-safe tree in your yard that's clear of herbicides and pesticides, you could make perches for them inside and outside of the cage. Leaves can last surprisingly long on a dead tree branch, I had my pear branch drying for a few months after I got it in September? There are still dead leaves clinging to it, and my birds have fun pulling them off and showing them who's boss.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
They are awfully cute. Thanks for take them in and giving them the loving, caring home they deserve.

Fowler

Real Name
Jennifer
Ahhhhh, they're all so cute (including the bearded human you've got there, well done!). I don't know if you do this already or not, but I cover my birds at night and make sure they get at least 12 hours of total darkness. You could also try making eggs for them for that added hit of calcium (with the shells). Did you get them cuttlebones?

And plannnnts. Lots and lots of bird-safe plants! My birbs love their plants. I've got aloe veras, jades, hen and chicks, wandering jews, spider plants, ect ect. You could even potentially use them to cover one side of their cage so they have a corner they can go hide in when they're scared. Preening toys might also help, along with natural wooden branches. If you've got a bird-safe tree in your yard that's clear of herbicides and pesticides, you could make perches for them inside and outside of the cage. Leaves can last surprisingly long on a dead tree branch, I had my pear branch drying for a few months after I got it in September? There are still dead leaves clinging to it, and my birds have fun pulling them off and showing them who's boss.
Read this, and before responding bought a better cover for their cage on amazon, and cuttlebones.. and more preeny pick it apart toys cuz I think I have a problem and possibly like the toys more than them.

I like that idea of the branches tho with leaves on them still! I got them some manzanita perches they seem to favor those. Alas everything here is buried in snow for a bit but I’ll have to look up some trees in our area for what’s safe.

We have jade right now and some ivy babies. I’ll have to add to my plants now It sounds like you have a lush beautiful green jungle for them! I was looking up plants that were safe maybe I can find a small potted tree.

I read somewhere that if you’re plants aren’t doing well your birds won’t either.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Lol. :p I hope you find something that works for them. Some birds can be picky with their toys. I have one girl that doesn't really like her cuttlebone, but will go crazy for her beak block. It's another good way to get minerals in your birds.

If you have any lilacs on your property, those are generally fun for birds and not that difficult to find, depending on where you are. Here, you can look through this list; x and maybe find something in your area.

And sometimes, it's the exact opposite. :laughing2: My poor wandering jews are still recovering from being torn apart, and someone who will not be mentioned dug up a bunch of my hen and chicks and the punpkins I was growing.:dog3:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your birds are super cute!

Fowler

Real Name
Jennifer
Ahaha the problems the unmentionable children give us. My :dog3: has decided the birds are solely in existence to drop food to him... and other droppings.

I’m willing to try anything I’m so happy to see all the toy suppliers on here too. I can’t wait to shop them!

Also thank you for the list I’ll have to make a day out of branch hunting.
Lol. :p I hope you find something that works for them. Some birds can be picky with their toys. I have one girl that doesn't really like her cuttlebone, but will go crazy for her beak block. It's another good way to get minerals in your birds.

If you have any lilacs on your property, those are generally fun for birds and not that difficult to find, depending on where you are. Here, you can look through this list; x and maybe find something in your area.

And sometimes, it's the exact opposite. :laughing2: My poor wandering jews are still recovering from being torn apart, and someone who will not be mentioned dug up a bunch of my hen and chicks and the punpkins I was growing.:dog3:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Welcome! Don’t let them get at the soil of the plants. I don’t keep any in my birdroom due to fungus and mildew concerns.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They are quite beautiful scruffie and all. Thank you for rescueing the sweet babes!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing these two cute Caiques and giving them a loving home and welcome to AA.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue! Thank you for rescueing these babies:heart: They are beautiful, I think their scruffy feathers are cute:D

Fowler

Real Name
Jennifer
If you bury pre 1983 penny’s in the soil it stops any fungus from growing, problems I had pre birds. It’s the copper or something. I found it online as a tip but I haven’t had any fugue since I started doing it. I line the borders and bottom and throw some in the roots now. But def noted I didn’t know that would be an issue for them. Thank you!