• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Squabbles For No Reason???

Gemmy1057

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn Garber
I need some advice or just some enlightenment on what I should do. Pineapple (F 9months) and Sonny (M 6months) are cage mates. They live in a five foot tall and three fort wide cage with lots of room. They have always liked eachother and snuggle and preen eachother and get along very nicely. The last few weeks, however, they have been getting into little disputes a few times a day. Pineapple will make twittering noises with her beak open telling him to back off, and sometimes she will even fall off the perch (her wings were clipped when adopted and I’m waiting for her feathers to grow.). She has never been injured in a fall, but I’m more worried about why this is happening. They will cuddle and preen almost immediately after… so they obviously like eachother but I don’t know why they argue. Pineapple is actually in the process of molting right now, could this be what is making her irritable? For the most part I haven’t seen Sonny do anything except try to cuddle with her and she gets upset. I did see him fly around her once and another time it looked like he forced her off a branch but I’m not exactly sure that’s what was going on. Does anyone have an idea of what’s going on?? Any information helps!!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with budgies but my two conures are squabling a lot at the moment both of them are moulting.
@Ripshod will have more insight into budgies

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
My budgies bicker a lot. They get into arguments, beak fence, knock each other off perches, etc. It’s normal, especially during hormonal times. As they both got older though they’ve started to bicker less

Your male is still a baby, too, while the female is an adult. Im willing to bet Sonny keeps trying to play and Pineapple doesn’t want to so it ends in a squabble. As long as it doesn’t end up with one pinning the other, any hardcore screeching(like a war cry, you’ll know it when you hear it), or any bloodshed, I wouldn’t worry about it

Gemmy1057

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn Garber
My budgies bicker a lot. They get into arguments, beak fence, knock each other off perches, etc. It’s normal, especially during hormonal times. As they both got older though they’ve started to bicker less

Your male is still a baby, too, while the female is an adult. Im willing to bet Sonny keeps trying to play and Pineapple doesn’t want to so it ends in a squabble. As long as it doesn’t end up with one pinning the other, any hardcore screeching(like a war cry, you’ll know it when you hear it), or any bloodshed, I wouldn’t worry about it
Thank you so much that’s a HUGE relief!! I really appreciate you reaching out thanks again! ❤

Gemmy1057

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn Garber
I have no experience with budgies but my two conures are squabling a lot at the moment both of them are moulting.
@Ripshod will have more insight into budgies
Thank you! Yeah molting is probably a part of it too thanks so much!! :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think so too, thanks so much for even responding I really appreciate it! Glad I have nothing to worry about haha
This morning's reply was pre-caffeine so now I'll give a little more on my inner thoughts.
We have to be parent, nurse, nutritionist, even teacher to our budgies. The one thing we can't be, unfortunately, is referee. No matter how tempting it is we can't be referee. We can step in when there's blood and feathers involved (that's just being a parent) but for squabbles we have to step back and let them get on with it. Seoerating budgies for squabbles just delays things.
My 10cents.

Gemmy1057

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn Garber
This morning's reply was pre-caffeine so now I'll give a little more on my inner thoughts.
We have to be parent, nurse, nutritionist, even teacher to our budgies. The one thing we can't be, unfortunately, is referee. No matter how tempting it is we can't be referee. We can step in when there's blood and feathers involved (that's just being a parent) but for squabbles we have to step back and let them get on with it. Seoerating budgies for squabbles just delays things.
My 10cents.
Ok good to know… so unless things get serious I should just let them do their thing?? Whenever they squabble I’ve been talking to them softly trying to calm them down… should I not do that? Thanks for the advice ❤

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Ok good to know… so unless things get serious I should just let them do their thing?? Whenever they squabble I’ve been talking to them softly trying to calm them down… should I not do that? Thanks for the advice ❤
yep!!!Budgies squabble all the time. My Charlie will get cross with Flynn when she’s enjoying a nice song he is singing to her, and then suddenly decides she wants him to stop:lol:
If it’s just bickering it’s normal budgie behaviour