• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Lump on Foot

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Hi, my 4 year-old budgie has what seems to be swollen foot. He's happy and active otherwise (no change in behaviour or body language either), and doesn't have any balance issues or loss of strength, but there's a lump on it.

He had a tumble off the perch and slammed into the bottom of the cage one day about a week and a half ago, which is my only idea about how this could have happened. Do you guys think this is bruising and swelling from that?

See attached pictures, it's his left foot on the image (right foot from where he is standing).

I'm going to keep my eye on it, and make sure the swelling isn't getting any worse over the next few days and ring the avian vet if it doesn't seem to go away.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Looks like budgie is putting weight on the foot. It may heal on its own. Soft perches would be good for a while such as rope perches

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Looks like budgie is putting weight on the foot. It may heal on its own. Soft perches would be good for a while such as rope perches
Yeah, he's acting completely normally at the moment, so I'm hoping it's just a minor swelling. I'm going to keep my eye on it very closely though. I'll get some rope perches I have in there later today then, see if that helps.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Hi, I posted the other day about my 4 year-old budgie, but the post didn't attract much attention, and the photos weren't great, so I'm making the post again with better photos in the hopes that someone might be able to tell me what this is. He fell off the perch unexpectedly the other week (I think he just slipped or something, I don't know, I wasn't watching at the time, I just heard the bang) and fell to the floor of the cage, I'm wondering if it's just bruising?

It was about 4 days ago now I noticed that my budgie had a swelling on his foot and I've been keeping my eye on it but it doesn't seem to be going away it's the same as it was the previous days when I look at it.

The bird is able to put weight on it for extended periods, but does perch on the other foot (this is normal behaviour for him, he'll usually sit perched on his left foot anyway). He can bob about and play with the other bird in and out of the cage, but I have noticed at some points he's a little wobbly, not much, but sometimes he loses footing a little, which is definitely because of the swelling.

Any ideas? I'm going to try ringing the avian vets, I was hoping that this might go away by itself, but I don't think it will.

Pictures attached.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad your going to talk to a vet, maybe he is injured more than you think, or maybe it’s not related to his fall. Maybe an anti inflammatory might help. I hope it goes away soon!

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
That swelling looks serious. It's good that you are calling vets. In the meantime do you have any softer perches? Maybe consider a towel on the bottom of the cage in case he falls again?

Komsur

Walking the driveway
Glad your going to talk to a vet, maybe he is injured more than you think, or maybe it’s not related to his fall. Maybe an anti inflammatory might help. I hope it goes away soon!
It's entirely possible. I booked him into the vets yesterday but with it being Easter the vet isn't open until Tuesday!!

Komsur

Walking the driveway
That swelling looks serious. It's good that you are calling vets. In the meantime do you have any softer perches? Maybe consider a towel on the bottom of the cage in case he falls again?
Yeah, I was watching it for about 4 days before I concluded it wasn't getting smaller, so I've booked him in, but the vet is closed until Tuesday, which is when he's booked in for at 11AM.
I had a rope one, but they chewed that one into a frayed mess they'd get their nails caught in so it can't be used, I sadly don't have any others. I'll find a towel to put on the cage floor though.

Will report back with the results, I'm hoping it's not something like bumblefoot :S

Komsur

Walking the driveway
@AussieBird may have some suggestions for soft perches.
As an emergency measure, I've read that vet wrap can be wrapped around perches to make them softer, so I bought some vet wrap that will arrive tomorrow at some point, it's the best I can do until Tuesday, given it's a bank holiday weekend in the UK so most places are closed/have reduced working hours.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The foot looks to have increased swelling. Please let us know what the vet thinks. Hope the little guy is not in pain.

Komsur

Walking the driveway
The foot looks to have increased swelling. Please let us know what the vet thinks. Hope the little guy is not in pain.
Yeah, I noticed that when I took the photos and compared, which is when I decided to book him into the vets as it's getting bigger, not smaller :'(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Appreciate the update. What was the diagnosis?

Komsur

Walking the driveway
UPDATE 2: We're finally home. I feel terrible, I didn't realise he was going to be there all day so I didn't bring any food/water so the little guy was starving all day, he practically jumped in the food and water dishes when we got back. His feet are bleeding, but the vet said that will stop overnight hopefully and I've got some stuff to keep infection out. He's going back for a follow-up on Friday.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
A cyst that needed opening up. He's also got a bit of a sore patch on his other foot from perching too much on one foot, that'll go away in its own time, I've got some cream for that one.
So glad he got that cyst out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Didn't the vet give you a topical antibiotic?