• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Information Appreciated!

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Hello humans. I'm a budgie sitting in a tiny glass cage that's crammed full of other budgies at petland, waiting for my person to come and get me. My future human is worried. He has spent countless hours watching youtube videos, and reading articles on budgie care and feeding, but he's still concerned that something will go wrong, or that he doesn't know enough and won't care for me properly, even though he's been considering a budgie for a very long time. He first got the idea to get a bird a few years ago, and has been thinking on it more seriously in the last couple months. If you have any tips on anything budgie he would love to hear them. Thank you in advance!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:hi: Welcome to the avenue @BananaBird! :welcome2:
Well, first of all, you've come to the right place for you -I mean, your human- to learn everything he needs to know. The best food for a budgie is pellets, along with seeds (not too many, they've got a lot of fat) and vegetables. For more info on pellets, here is a link: pellets for parrots.
If you like, you can read through some of the sticky threads on Budgie Boulevard, they have some great info on budgie care.
You definitely don't want a tiny glass cage filled with budgies. Here is a cage I like.
You also want natural wood perches since dowels can cause foot problems, and plenty of shredding and foraging toys. The vendors here have some great toys: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles
Hope this helps! :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:godmor::greet13:

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Welcome!!

The feeling of not knowing enough never really goes away. There's always more to learn and new situations that come up with pets. BUT the fact that you're open to learning is all that matters and this is a great community to learn from :) Can't wait to see your birds!

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
:hi: Welcome to the avenue @BananaBird! :welcome2:
Well, first of all, you've come to the right place for you -I mean, your human- to learn everything he needs to know. The best food for a budgie is pellets, along with seeds (not too many, they've got a lot of fat) and vegetables. For more info on pellets, here is a link: pellets for parrots.
If you like, you can read through some of the sticky threads on Budgie Boulevard, they have some great info on budgie care.
You definitely don't want a tiny glass cage filled with budgies. Here is a cage I like.
You also want natural wood perches since dowels can cause foot problems, and plenty of shredding and foraging toys. The vendors here have some great toys: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles
Hope this helps! :)
Thank you!
I didn't mean I was going to have a tiny glass cage full of budgies, I meant that's what they're stuck in at petland :(
Tysm for all the links!!

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome!!

The feeling of not knowing enough never really goes away. There's always more to learn and new situations that come up with pets. BUT the fact that you're open to learning is all that matters and this is a great community to learn from :) Can't wait to see your birds!
Thanks
I'll probably post pics when he/she comes!

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Does anyone know what gender petland is likely to have? And what gender would be better for me as a beginner bird owner? Does it really matter?

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh and also, any tips on choosing a healthy budgie? Sorry for all the questions, I want to do this right

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hello1:

Females have usually lightish pale bluish white ceres while young males can have dark pink or dark blue. Sex does not mean that much but males may talk more if they talk & females can have eggs. Age is important ideally you want a younger bird if you are going to Petland. One with black bars on the crown of its head & black baby eyes.

Most important is health. Usually an active bird should be chosen. If there is one that sits alone sleeping not active etc it could be ill. Looks for good feathers & nice feet & legs.

Good Luck

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
And try not to get two females, if you decide on two later. Apparently they don't get along as well as two males or one of each.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone know what gender petland is likely to have? And what gender would be better for me as a beginner bird owner? Does it really matter?
Oh and also, any tips on choosing a healthy budgie? Sorry for all the questions, I want to do this right
Male budgies have a dark blue or pink cere. Females will have a bluish white or brown cere. The gender doesn't really make a difference when it comes to care. Boys are usually louder and are more likely to talk than girls. Girls could lay eggs (to prevent this, don't put anything into the cage that could resemble a nest).
Look for a budgie that is active and moving around. The feathers should me smooth and clean, and the eyes and nostrils should be clear of any discharge. The legs and feet should also be smooth.
When you are choosing your cage, try to get the biggest one you can afford. I have this one for my budgies, and I really like it. https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Mi...eywords=bird+cage&qid=1602107789&sr=8-23&th=1
The diet should consist of mostly veggies and pellets, along with some seeds. Avoid any food with artificial colors or additives. You can also make your own seed mix.
In the cage you should have a variety of different perches and toys. It's important to have things of varying thicknesses to exercise the budgie's feet. You should also have a platform perch so that the budgie doesn't have to grip onto something all the time.
You also have to keep in mind that you are going to have to tame the bird. Do you know how to do that?
There is one more thing I want to mention. Have you considered getting two budgies? In the wild, budgies live in huge flocks, so being alone is not a natural thing for them. If you have two, then they'll be able to keep each other company when you're not around, they'll play with each other, preen each other, etc.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Petland will have birds of both sexes...lol. Young birds will have barring on their head right down to their eyes and females will have a whitish/blue cere and males will have a deep pink. Sex does not matter. Both sexes can and do make wonderful pets. Choose the one who catches your eye. The one who seems to see you. The one who is active and exploring. You will make a good budgie owner if you give them the respect that they deserve. They are intelligent, curious little souls. Give them the diet, excercise, nice home and love that you expect as a human and your little feathered friend will flourish. Pretty simple really...

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
There is one more thing I want to mention. Have you considered getting two budgies? In the wild, budgies live in huge flocks, so being alone is not a natural thing for them. If you have two, then they'll be able to keep each other company when you're not around, they'll play with each other, preen each other, etc.
I might be wrong but isn't it easier to get a single bird, tame him/her, and then get another one? That was what I was told by the lady at the pet store. I didn't really take her seriously because well... she worked at the pet store but what she said ended up turning out 100% right. I definitely agree that birds should be with others of their own, especially budgies but I found it easier to get Mickey (I was planning on getting another after Mickey settled in), tame him, and then get Chicky. Its nice because the new bird sees the first one bonding with you and starts warming up to you...

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I might be wrong but isn't it easier to get a single bird, tame him/her, and then get another one? That was what I was told by the lady at the pet store. I didn't really take her seriously because well... she worked at the pet store but what she said ended up turning out 100% right. I definitely agree that birds should be with others of their own, especially budgies but I found it easier to get Mickey (I was planning on getting another after Mickey settled in), tame him, and then get Chicky. Its nice because the new bird sees the first one bonding with you and starts warming up to you...
Well, if you get them separately, then the new one has to go through quarantine, so you would have to get a second cage. Plus, then you have to slowly introduce the new bird, and it will take time for them to bond with each other.
If you get them together, then there is no need for a separate cage or an introduction. Taming might take a little longer, but I found that my birds learn from each other that being with me is okay. For example, my girl, Sprite, wouldn't let me pet her at all. But my boy, Marshmallow, likes to be pet. So, Sprite is learning from him that being touched is okay.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, could I ask why? I'm not trying to argue, just curious and wondering.
I don't know if this is @Ripshod's reason, but my birds are clipped (they were like that when I bought them) and I think it has actually made taming them harder. They seem to be less confident because they can't fly.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
You also have to keep in mind that you are going to have to tame the bird. Do you know how to do that?
Well, I've never done it before, but have been doing a lot of research on it, and have lots of time and patience and think I can do it.
I have considered it, but think I'll just get one. I will have lots of time to spend with my budgie, and want to bond with him/her better.

Last edited:

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I have considered it, but think I'll just get one. I will have lots of time to spend with my budgie, and want to bond with him/her better.
That's fine :) Just give him/her plenty of foraging and shedding toys to keep him/her busy and give a lot of attention. Spend at least 2 hours a day socially interacting with your budgie. At other times, have your budgie out of their cage on a play stand or something and he/she can play independently for a while.