• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wishing you the best and very many positive thoughts and prayers on the way

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Thanks all. I have been at my family's and he has been with us all day and we have been giving him fluids and as much solids mushed up as he would take. I tried getting my vet to give him some Antibotics till I could get him in to a vet that will see birds but they would not with out the vet seeing him and she's out of town. I even tried calling another vet this morning and they wasn't open and all the Emergency ones I called do not see birds.. I just now read what Tracie put up. I will try an call her now. if its not to late. Thanks Tracie... Also He just swauked some he is perking up more an more... SO I am hoping he will hold off till I can get him in to a vet that knows about birds...

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks all. I have been at my family's and he has been with us all day and we have been giving him fluids and as much solids mushed up as he would take. I tried getting my vet to give him some Antibotics till I could get him in to a vet that will see birds but they would not with out the vet seeing him and she's out of town. I even tried calling another vet this morning and they wasn't open and all the Emergency ones I called do not see birds.. I just now read what Tracie put up. I will try an call her now. if its not to late. Thanks Tracie... Also He just swauked some he is perking up more an more... SO I am hoping he will hold off till I can get him in to a vet that knows about birds...
:( I'm wishing the very best! :hug8:

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
hope you can get ahold of that vet in Loretto...good luck Cavin

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Got some good News.. Got him out of the carrier cage where I had him a heating pad to which he has been most of the day and we put him up on his cage to see how he would react and he climbed his ladder and seems to be getting so much better than he was. My wife cooked him some noodles and hes been eating that pretty good but she has to feed it to him and he will eat it from her hand. Which that is better than not eating at all. Been giving him pedalyte some. Plus he has been perching pretty good. So things are looking on the up and up.. It looks like Saturday is the soonest I can get him to a vet.. I am trying my best to what I can. he also is grinding his beak like he normally does.. So yall keep praying for him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Cavin, I don't pray but I'm sure wishing really hard for Stitch. Sounds good and now if you can just keep him stable until the vet visit. Keep up the hydration and cut out the orange juice because excess vitamin C will cause diahhrea, defeating the trying to get him hydrated.

You know Cavin, we can only do what we can do and you have been doing fine.
ML

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
will definately say a prayer for stitch .... keep doing what your doing

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
im just back and what do i find AA members do it again im so proud to be a member of this board
i do hope its saturday and this baby gets to a vet
sending prayers your way

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Tracie, you really are an angel. If I can help in anyway, please let me know. Cavin, I am praying for Stitch. Like the rest of us, I am very concerned that something is seriously wrong with Stitch. I am praying that it is not life threatening and that he gets to a vet soon. He can't help himself, he needs you to be his voice.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Cavin, I'll be praying for you and Stitch. I have a sick one too that I can't find a vet for until Saturday and possibly the first of the week. He's on an antibiotic but I feel he needs to be seen again.

I know how worried you are. :(

:hug8::hug8:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Hi All, Just got back home and had the nicest talk with Cavin. Stitch is improving by leaps and bounds. Cavin is taking him to the vet on Saturday, but he is holding his head up on his own, eating noodles and drinking what is offered and just generaly more alert and like himself. He is a much loved family member. Let's all just continue to pray, think positive thoughts, or send good vibes, whatever we each individually do that Stitch contintues to improve and that the vet can give him a clean bill of health.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
That is hopeful news! Thanks for the update, Tracie. :hug8: for Stitch!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I am interested to know more about...Why he is in such diress..NOT that you had anything to do with it at all. I am wondering what has caused this issue. Metal he was chewing on? Food Change? Draft? I am very curious.

How is he doing today?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Merry Christmas Calvin and your family...just checking in to see how Stich is doing this AM!
Cooked oatmeal is a favorite of my birds with applesauce and I can also puree veggies to add to it once he is feeling better but still wanting the warm food...that way he is getting more vitamins and energy...:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you much for the update Tracie. I pray Stitch continues to improve and the vet can examine him on Saturday. :hug8:

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
More good News this Morning. He has started eating own his own. We put him some nuts up there on his cage and and he has eaten some of it own his own. He is able to balance on one leg to eat the nuts which makes me proud.

Merry Christmas to everyone... Thanks for your help..

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
More good News this Morning. He has started eating own his own. We put him some nuts up there on his cage and and he has eaten some of it own his own. He is able to balance on one leg to eat the nuts which makes me proud.

What a GREAT Christmas present you have posted for us this AM!!!!!!!:laughing12::laughing12::laughing12:
I still feel that a vet check is needed and hope you will still go to the vet....he may still have problems from this ordeal....:hug8:

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Great news Cavin! So glad this guy continues to improve! I sure hope you will update us tomorrow after the vet visit. Merry Christmas to you and your family

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie

It's great he is improving, but I would keep him cage much warmer than usual. He needs to conserve energy. A heating pad or something will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.