• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Ohhh goodness. I think everyone has give you some sound advice, but it is really important that you get this guy to the vet asap. Honestly no matter how long it takes to get there, whoever is open, I don't think this is a wait and see situation. Please take this precious baby to the vet.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
See you are closer to AL state line:
North Alabama Cat and Bird Clinic
1110 Main Street East
Hartselle AL 35640
Phone: 256-773-0844

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like Prince said, I recommend that you take the perches out of his cage, just in case he is very weak. When I have to do that, I put towel on the grates on the bottom to help with warmth and make it more comfortable for the bird. If you have a ceramic heat lamp that would be perfect for added warmth. If not a regular heat lamp will work, just be sure the bird cannot reach it and get burned.

Other things you can feed him are Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, bran meal. you can also put some peanut butter in it for extra caloies and protien. If you don't have feeding syringes and he won't eat on his own, you can use a straw. You know, get the food into the straw and hold it in with your finger then put in his mouth and let tthe food dribble into his mouth. Some of us will use a little corn syrup (controversial) for immediate energy.

Keep us updated.
ML

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
BF Excellent I was just mapping his location to go from there.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
Iron City,Middle tenn is way out in the boonies...we basically live in the land of nothing around ...He is trying to get him into a vet but Avian vets are very scarce around our town...What can he do to keep him comfortable? You might call any regular vet that is open tomorrow Cavin and see if they can tell you someone who is open.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
What can he do to keep him comfortable? You might call any regular vet that is open tomorrow Cavin and see if they can tell you someone who is open.
Warm and hydrated is the most important.
Perhaps a regular vet can consult with an avian vet?

When the bird is that ill it is VERY serious.

Cavin, keep checking this thread and if you have ANY questions about what is recommended, please ask.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, A trip to an avian vet is your best option! I

I'm going to ask a lot of questions, please answer the best you can. How old is the bird? How much does he weigh? Do you have a gram scale? Do you know what Bragg Brand apple cider vinegar is? Do you have Children's clear pedeilyte? Do you have any clear Karo syrup? What does your birds poops look like, color, consistency, volume? Is he eating and drinking on his own? Is the bird perching? Is his posture the same as normal, describe if not? What does your bird normally eat? Are his eye bright and clear? Is he breathing normally? Do you have any hand feeding supplies if needed, If not go to your local pet store and Katee Exact hand feeding formula. Do you have any animal antibiotics in your home, if so what are they?

Like the previous posters have said, keep your bird warm, the air around him, (ambient temperature), should be 85-87 degrees if possible. Keeping him warm allows him to use what calories he takes in to fight infection rather than burning them to keep warm. Keep him hydrated, you can put pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water in his lower beak or on the front of his tongue. Hydration is very important when your bird is sick! Watch his poops and tell us how they look.

Monday is to far off should your bird need antibiotics. Call regular vet and tell them what you are up against. Ask if they can see your bird and give you antibiotics. Please check back here to double check dosage information.

If you don't understand something ask questions. Many here have a great deal of experience with birds and are willing to help you.

gary

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One other question that Gary didn't ask. Does your bird's breath smell funny?
ML

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Saying prayers. Please keep us updated. You are getting very good advice. If your bird landed hard he could have internal injuries/bleeding. Birds are great at hiding illnesses, so he may have been sick or injured for days. If he is weak, please take the perches out of his cage. Sending healing prayers your way.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Shoal Creek Animal Hospital
1401 Old Waynesboro Highway
Lawrenceburg, TN

This is a 24 hour animal hospital in Lawenceburg, TN. Google said it is only about 26 mi. from Iron city, TN.
ML

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You have received some very good advice. I hope you come back so we can try to help. Once a bird is showing signs of illness, they usually are pretty sick and need vet care as soon as possible. Vets do have emergency services, and time is of the essence. Please keep us posted.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Lawrenceburg Animal Hospital
2155 Waynesboro Highway
Lawrenceburg, TN

Northside Animal Hospital
2750 Highway 43 N
Lawrenceburg, TN

Here are two more 24 hr hospitals in Lawrenceburg.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Ok we went to Huntsville AL Alabama Vet Hospital and well the staff there wasn't knowledgeable about birds but i was told before I went that the vet there had dealt with them but after meeting him well he hasn't delt with any kind of bird like Stitch. They wanted to incubate give him a shot for fluid and give him Oxygen to which they didn't even know if it would work. The bill would have been right at $500. So we didn't do that not know what the problem was an waste that kind of money to which we do not have to waste. So after a 4hour long round trip we brought him home and my wife has gotten him to eat some banana and drink more water. He wants to eat his nuts but acts like he can't. So we are going to try an get a Vet tomorrow with avian experience and take him. He has gotten better over time he does not use his wings to hold himself up anymore so that is improvement. We are hoping for the best when we wake up. Thanks for all the advice it has helped a lot.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Ok we went to Huntsville AL Alabama Vet Hospital and well the staff there wasn't knowledgeable about birds but i was told before I went that the vet there had dealt with them but after meeting him well he hasn't delt with any kind of bird like Stitch. They wanted to incubate give him a shot for fluid and give him Oxygen to which they didn't even know if it would work. The bill would have been right at $500. So we didn't do that not know what the problem was an waste that kind of money to which we do not have to waste. So after a 4hour long round trip we brought him home and my wife has gotten him to eat some banana and drink more water. He wants to eat his nuts but acts like he can't. So we are going to try an get a Vet tomorrow with avian experience and take him. He has gotten better over time he does not use his wings to hold himself up anymore so that is improvement. We are hoping for the best when we wake up. Thanks for all the advice it has helped a lot.
I hope all goes well tomorrow! :hug8:

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Hi, A trip to an avian vet is your best option! I

I'm going to ask a lot of questions, please answer the best you can. How old is the bird? How much does he weigh? Do you have a gram scale? Do you know what Bragg Brand apple cider vinegar is? Do you have Children's clear pedeilyte? Do you have any clear Karo syrup? What does your birds poops look like, color, consistency, volume? Is he eating and drinking on his own? Is the bird perching? Is his posture the same as normal, describe if not? What does your bird normally eat? Are his eye bright and clear? Is he breathing normally? Do you have any hand feeding supplies if needed, If not go to your local pet store and Katee Exact hand feeding formula. Do you have any animal antibiotics in your home, if so what are they?

Like the previous posters have said, keep your bird warm, the air around him, (ambient temperature), should be 85-87 degrees if possible. Keeping him warm allows him to use what calories he takes in to fight infection rather than burning them to keep warm. Keep him hydrated, you can put pedialyte mixed 50/50 with water in his lower beak or on the front of his tongue. Hydration is very important when your bird is sick! Watch his poops and tell us how they look.

Monday is to far off should your bird need antibiotics. Call regular vet and tell them what you are up against. Ask if they can see your bird and give you antibiotics. Please check back here to double check dosage information.

If you don't understand something ask questions. Many here have a great deal of experience with birds and are willing to help you.

gary
he is 5 yrs old. poop is a medium color green with white ring around it and is running. Yea I have a gram scale but he is to weak to sit on it to be checked. The vet said his flesh was good. His weight looks good so far.. No on the cider and no do not have pedeilyte. Going to try an get some tomorrow but right now he is eating. He is really drinking some orange juice right now. He has started making the grinding noise with his beak like he normally does.. Eyes are bright an clear like normal. Pupils are large. Breath has no odor. Haven't smelled the poop though.. :(

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
He now is holding his head up good and its not hitting the floor.. Hes putting his wings in closer to his body. Hes kinda flapping his wings a little. A lot more movement than before. Balance is getting a little better also. He's walking around some. We have him on a quilt in the living room near the heat lamp. We hardly ever lock him up in his cage so he is used to being free to roam the house. So thats why we are leaving him in the floor tonite.. Well fixing to hit the sack and going to let him rest he has had a long journey today.. Thanks again.. Will keep you updated..

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good morning,

Nice to see he is a bit better. Keep giving fluids, plain water is a good choice right now. To much of the orange juice will bring on a yeast infection that he does not need. Stitch sounds like a very tame bird, can you take a small pen light and look in his mouth and down his throat? While looking, check for white or cream color plaque, there should be none. If you see any plaque it is a sign of yeast infection and needs to be addressed. Check the top of his mouth and you should see what will look like tiger teeth, they should be well defined and sharp looking.

From your description is sounds like Stitch may need an antibiotic. You have to find a vet to prescribe them!

We will help you as much as we can but Stitch needs to be seen by a qualified vet.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I agree on the juice. It is perking him up because of the sugar, but the sugar may bring on a yeast infection which you dont want. He may have a crop infection already, hence why he is having trouble eating. I hope you will see an avian vet today, it looks like there were many vets listed in this thread. Once he starts on an antiboitic which he probably needs you will be surprised how quickly he will start coming back. Someone mentioned feeding him handfeeding formula. Do you have any? You could feed him this off a spoon. It would give him some much needed nutrition. I look forward to a good update from you today.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Praying you are able to get into a qualified avian vet today. Also praying that Stitch is doing better and that it's nothing serious. Will keep checking this thread when I can for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.