• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Blue and Gold McCaw Sick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Cavin, I'm so glad you found out what the problem is. When you don't know it's so hard, but when you do, you know how to fight. Finding a good vet that you trust is very comforting - you feel that you can get help.

Watch him closely for signs of breathing problems. Sometimes with ruptured air sacs you will see that. If you do see breathing problems call your vet right away, because it could be an infection in the air sacs.

Get some rest and Merry Xmas to all of you.
ML
She really checked his air sacs out really good for breathing problems and she said it sounded really good. Plus checked his heart out really good. She really gave him a really good checking over. She spent a lot of time with him.. We stayed about a hour.. She really knew what she was doing. I was really impressed..

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
So glad you were able to get him into a vet and you found one that was qualified and you were comfortable with. What a relief!!! So very glad your sweet bird is on the mend.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
What food did she recommend? I would suggest only feeding him food from your plate if it is made without salt and sugar.

Steamed veggies, steamed rice, no cheeses or sauces.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Such great news!!!
I am soooo glad you found a good vet, a GREAT vet, it makes all the difference.

Hello Bird lovers,

Just got home and settle down Stitch DR'ed and Fed. We had finally got hold of a Vet in Nashville Priest Lake Animal hospital. They said they are sure Stitches problems were due to the fall.They gave him anti-inflammatory and some good bacteria to put on his food for the stress. Dr.OLLIS was the dr we saw. She is formerly the avian vet for the Knoxville Zoo. Amazing woman. I will take him back there for all of his needs!!! I really want to thank everyone on here that has help us in this time of need.. No one really understands unless you have a Bird. So thats why I am glad that I found this site. MissBird special thanks to you for sending me here. This Vet will be now our HOME for a vet. They are wonderful..
Yah!!! for your wife :)
It is good to have a vet check them for their diet too.

Now we just got to get him a new cage. The one he's got is about had it.. LOL I am just hoping he gets back to his normal self before long. We bought him some new food that the Vet recommended b/c she thinks he is eating to much nuts and not getting enough Nutrients. Which he eats with us when we eat and what ever we eat. But she said he was hydrated really good too so my wife got him Hydrated good to keep him going till time for the vet. We go back to the Vet in 2 weeks for a check up.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Calvin, this is such good news! I thought it might be from the fall when you mentioned it...it is so hard to know but you kept trying to get him help....
If you don't mind, I giving you some sites on food for him....I have many Macaws and they love FRESH veggie etc...
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Benefits Of A Base Diet - Foods for a Healthy Bird
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Feeding Our Birds - A Healthy Diet
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Calcium, Phosphorus & Vitamin D3 in Diets for Parrots and Birds
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician XIII - Greening Of The Parrot Diet
Nutrition in a Nutshell
Hope this helps you....
Looking forward to hearing more about Stitch...:hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
calvin great news follow billie fays advice if you dont shes one that will come kick your $%^$% shes good at that .
now have a happy healthy new year

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Calvin, you have made my Xmas to know your dear bird is on the mend and that you have found a good Vet to keep an eye on any needs he might have in the future. Do have a good Xmas and I wish both you and your dear wife a very Happy New Year.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cavin so glad you found such a good vet. I live in a rural area so I know all too well how it is when there are few vets in the area. Sounds like you have a wonderful resource now for vet care though. I hope you stay on our board and become part of our community here, we would love to hear more about you and Stitch. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
This made my Christmas too. So glad he's doing better.

Ginger

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
What food did she recommend? I would suggest only feeding him food from your plate if it is made without salt and sugar.

Steamed veggies, steamed rice, no cheeses or sauces.
She recommended a pellet type to get him started on that way he would be sure to get his Nutrients. Now why do you say no cheeses or sauces. Stitch loves cheese and sauces. Plus I know it can't be a no no on the cheese b/c the vet said it was ok with cheese.. I give him cheese when hes been good b/c he loves it so much.

Plus to all that has called me CALVIN its just Cavin.. No L. LOL:lol:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Cavin, (see how quick I am)

Truely is a cheese head too, and my vet said a little bit of HARD cheese once in awhile is okay, but not to make it a daily part of her diet because it will clog up their liver. Plus birds are lactose intolerant and can't digest it very well.

And again sauces that are not full of fat/sugar/salt are okay. Spaghetti is a favorite, salsa is okay, and go sparing on cheese sauces and absolutely no BBQ.

Ginger

Last edited:

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Here is a pic of him last nite after us returning from the vet.

He is looking much better.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Big Sweetie Pie. I hope he continues to improve and get back to being a healthy stinky pants.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cavin a little bit of cheese as a treat is OK but as Ginger said, birds cannot digest dairy products. Also anything with salt or artificial ingredients, sugars etc are not good for them either. Same as people, everything in moderation. Have you ever tried birdy bread? That is a good way to sneak a lot of good nutritious foods into your bird. Try hanging big chunks of veggies and some fruit on the stainless steel bird kabobs, they seem to be more interested sometimes when we present food in an interesting way to them. :)

cavinriddle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cavin
Cavin, (see how quick I am)

Truely is a cheese head too, and my vet said a little bit of HARD cheese once in awhile is okay, but not to make it a daily part of her diet because it will clog up their liver. Plus birds are lactose intolerant and can't digest it very well.

And again sauces that are not full of fat/sugar/salt are okay. Spaghetti is a favorite, salsa is okay, and go sparing on cheese sauces and absolutely no BBQ.

Ginger
Yea I agree on that then.. It was just put NO Cheese.. I give him a pieces a cheese maybe once a week. If that much. He mainly eat what ever we are eating.. He's going to have to start eating healthier b/c we are going to ourselves so he better get ready.. LOL

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
guilty as charged CAVIN got it CAVIN from what i understand some breeds of birds cant tolorate some things others can i was told no tomato no onion and a few other things but them i dont use so not up on them shhhhh should be though but not right now i use tomato onion in cooking salt very rare i use garlic it replaces salt i find so dont need it
and im not saying im right using what i do but its my food i use it in nothing i cook for mango do i add it in , but he gets my spag sauce and my curry and any thing i eat hes getting it but onions and tomatoes are cooked not raw or fresh

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I think you will find that if you eat FRESH veggies etc and cut back on sugars/fats you will be much healther....I use Stevia as my sweetner for myself (it is a plant and soooooo sweet)
I use Olive Oil to cook with and Canola oil when making birdy bread (just a little) you can also use applesuace instead of oil when baking also...
Those sites I gave you are really good and you can use them for yourself also...
This is what my birds food looks like every morning:
OK in the winter I don't have the flowers to add but bascially this is it:
Also my birdy bread that I make for them.....
I use Cinnomon, Ginger powder, Cayenne Pepper, and Hot pepper flakes, parsley, any type of herb you want for seasoning....Rosemary is good for them to chew on also....
I do both fresh and cook tomatos...
Take a look in our
Feathered Food Court - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board
for more ideas!:hug8:

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Another good way tomake birdie bread is to blend all the veggies and fruits. I use NO oils in the bird bread noor do I use egg, just apple sauce and juice and soy milk.

I agree with what has been said, little to no cheese, sugary or salty foods.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
Cavin glad that Stitch is doing better. Will keep him in my prayers and thoughts. So glad you joined...just jump in and get to know a few people here on the board. Keep us updated on Stitch.

Last edited:

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Well I was away most of yesterday and I just saw this thread and am so please Stitch is doing so much better and you were finally able to get him into a vet. Hug's and many healing thoughts coming his way. and Hug's to you for all the upset and worry. Barbie and Isis

Status
Not open for further replies.