• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blood on head

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
My cockatiel has blood on his head. It’s hard to see in the photo but you can see it. He’s only 5 months and i don’t think he can have Pin feather or blood feathers?? He seems fine, he’s talking, climbing, eating and drinking. I just noticed this a hour ago. Should i be worried? Again you cant see it on photos as much in person. 7851536E-B8BE-4F02-A051-6F429B7282D8.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is he in a cage with other birds or is there something inside the cage sharp? Watch for any further bleeding. I suggest that the skin may be broken somewhere which can let in infection. If you see any further signs of bleeding please take him to a vet.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Is he in a cage with other birds or is there something inside the cage sharp? Watch for any further bleeding. I suggest that the skin may be broken somewhere which can let in infection. If you see any further signs of bleeding please take him to a vet.
Ok thank you! And no he has no one in the cage

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Was he in his cage or was he out when it happened?
Maybe he rubbed against something sharp. Did he bang into something?
I would check the area he has been. As you stated it's hard to see in the pic. Is it dried blood or bleeding?

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Was he in his cage or was he out when it happened?
Maybe he rubbed against something sharp. Did he bang into something?
I would check the area he has been. As you stated it's hard to see in the pic. Is it dried blood or bleeding?
He is molting right now with pin feathers. I wasn’t around him when the bleeding started, the blood looks dry.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
My cockatiel is having his first molt.I noticed blood on his crown. I have no idea if it’s a blood feather. It seems dry and the vessels is a light pink. I really need to know if I should bring in to the vet or not. He has this blood thing on his crown for 2 days now, I need tips and information. The blood is not very large amount, it’s not even dripping so that’s why I think it’s dried. Is this normal??
AE1B9772-0A07-4A8D-A763-94A49E10D713.jpeg E29A6F84-AEB1-44EB-A57E-B590151A5581.jpeg

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yeah, looks like he broke a blood feather. The thing is these feathers are very fine and heal a lot quicker than the larger ones so there's not a lot you can do. Not much a vet can do. It happens, and it does no harm. You'll likely to still be able to see it for a couple of weeks, unless he live to get very wet in a bath.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Yeah, looks like he broke a blood feather. The thing is these feathers are very fine and heal a lot quicker than the larger ones so there's not a lot you can do. Not much a vet can do. It happens, and it does no harm. You'll likely to still be able to see it for a couple of weeks, unless he live to get very wet in a bath.
Ok so should I be worried? Its a small small pin feather that is bleeding.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He is molting right now with pin feathers. I wasn’t around him when the bleeding started, the blood looks dry.
I answered on your other thread. He's broken a blood feather, it's stopped bleeding, he'll be fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's not actively bleeding there's not much to do. If it is still bleeding, you can try either towel pressure or cornstarch.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ok so should I be worried? Its a small small pin feather that is bleeding.
If there’s dripping or wet blood you want to stop that asap but in the case of what you’re seeing I doubt very much it’s anything you need to worry about.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Threads merged to contain all information and responses in one place ;)