• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blood feather

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
okay so i know it’s been just a bit since i posted my last thread but i really need some advice here
my cockatiel max is a very clumsy bird and he’s had a broken blood feather a month ago but it bled very little so it healed without having to be taken out. (i asked the vet over the phone and she said that was fine) today while he was preening, he let out a shriek or two like he did last time he had broken his feather. i checked and as far as i can see (he doesn’t let me lift his wing or hold him so i have to watch him stretching and such) there is no blood that i see but a feather is out more than normal (you can see it sticking out when he has his wings down) and it’s in the same general area and he broke his last one. i don’t know what to do. i don’t know if i should get him checked out but the nearest vet is and hour away and i couldn’t go at this moment so- any advice?

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
okay so i know it’s been just a bit since i posted my last thread but i really need some advice here
my cockatiel max is a very clumsy bird and he’s had a broken blood feather a month ago but it bled very little so it healed without having to be taken out. (i asked the vet over the phone and she said that was fine) today while he was preening, he let out a shriek or two like he did last time he had broken his feather. i checked and as far as i can see (he doesn’t let me lift his wing or hold him so i have to watch him stretching and such) there is no blood that i see but a feather is out more than normal (you can see it sticking out when he has his wings down) and it’s in the same general area and he broke his last one. i don’t know what to do. i don’t know if i should get him checked out but the nearest vet is and hour away and i couldn’t go at this moment so- any advice?
Get him to the vet. Period.
There might not be anything wrong but my gut instinct is that something is off.

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
my mom is at work and she might not want to take him because it’s a lot of money and because there is no blood coming out of it but i’ll see if we can

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
my mom is at work and she might not want to take him because it’s a lot of money and because there is no blood coming out of it but i’ll see if we can
Call her if she isn’t in any meeting or see if your dad/other guardian is available to take you.

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
i have called her already and she said to keep an eye on him, when she gets home she’ll see if we can take him. currently he’s singing and whistling like normal but idk

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is he just molting out a feather? It's uncomfortable but should just fall out. It's always a good idea to have some corn starch, etc on hand in case there is a broken blood feather to stop the bleeding. Usually blood feathers do not have to be removed unless the bleeding won't stop. And in that case, a vet should remove if possible. However, most often, they do not need to be pulled (that was per my avian first aid class.) So without seeing it, my thought is he's molting out a feather but definitely keep an eye on it.

Birb Mom

Moving in
Real Name
Itzel Rico
i’ll be sure to keep an eye on it . it might be he’s molting the feather because there’s no blood but he seems to be uncomfortable/ in some pain. thanks though :)