• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

birds fighting

wael khayati

Moving in
Real Name
wael khayati
alright so about a month ago i bought a couple of lovebirds (named them victor and victoria) in a faily decent sized cage then two weeks later and out of nowhere victoria he female bird passed away nd was left with just victor, i felt like he needed company so i bought another female love bird (monica) who's younger than him and i also recieved a budgie :budgie: (called bluetooth) as a gift.
i put all of them in the cage with victor and apparenly he didn't like that, whenever one of the new birds come near him he bites their tiny legs as a way of pushing them away from his territory. i started worrying about the new birds as i didn't see em eat or drink and didn't watch them to get hurt especially that victor's much larger and older than them.
what should i do plz ?
also might i add that victor has like a small wooden house inside the cage and none of the new birds dare to even come close to it

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Separate them all ASAP

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
They need to be separated. Victor can do serious harm or even kill them. There should have been a quarantine period before the new birds where introduce to Victor anyway just in case Victoria passed from a contagious disease.

wael khayati

Moving in
Real Name
wael khayati
They need to be separated. Victor can do serious harm or even kill them. There should have been a quarantine period before the new birds where introduce to Victor anyway just in case Victoria passed from a contagious disease.
shoud victor stay in his own cage then and the others in a new one ?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Victor is familiar with his old cage, so keeping him in it would be good so as not to stress him with a new cage 'territory'. However, since Victoria passed away, it would be good to give that cage and its items [dishes and perches] a good clean if you have not done so already.

Keep in mind that lovebirds and budgies generally do not mix well, so it would be best to keep them separate too and observe their personalities after they have settled in.

If you can afford it, you could get a second budgie to keep the budgie company. Budgies really prefer the company of their own species. Is Bluetooth a male or a female?

Currently I have a male peachfaced lovebird and a smaller, slightly younger female fischer's lovebird in the same cage. As most females are, the female bullies the male a little but I have to keep a close eye on them.

My own two budgies are in a separate cage together, both male and they get along peacefully although they were not bought at the same time. So daily I maintain two cages and have a spare smaller cage in case I need to separate one or put aside for vet trips.

Last edited:

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
You mentioned a small wooden house inside the cage. I would suggest taking it out temporarily as the presence of a suitable nesting site makes birds more territorial and can contribute to stimulating an unwanted breeding mood. Also, is Victor a confirmed male via DNA testing?

If you are not able to get enough cages and intend to keep the two lovebirds together, then you could change the cage's layout of the perches and dishes and other items. This simulates a new territory for both Victor and the new female, and hopefully he's more open to adjusting to the changes, including a new occupant

wael khayati

Moving in
Real Name
wael khayati
Victor is familiar with his old cage, so keeping him in it would be good so as not to stress him with a new cage 'territory'. However, since Victoria passed away, it would be good to give that cage and its items [dishes and perches] a good clean if you have not done so already.

Keep in mind that lovebirds and budgies generally do not mix well, so it would be best to keep them separate too and observe their personalities after they have settled in.

If you can afford it, you could get a second budgie to keep the budgie company. Budgies really prefer the company of their own species. Is Bluetooth a male or a female?

Currently I have a male peachfaced lovebird and a smaller, slightly younger female fischer's lovebird in the same cage. As most females are, the female bullies the male a little but I have to keep a close eye on them.

My own two budgies are in a separate cage together, both male and they get along peacefully although they were not bought at the same time. So daily I maintain two cages and have a spare smaller cage in case I need to separate one or put aside for vet trips.

wow i never thought things wold be this complicated our house isn't rly that spacious so adding two more cages isn't such a great idea
bluetooth is a male and well i thought i might tame him and let him out of the cage from time to time so that might help a little with the space problem
i really don't know much about birds i started this whole things about a month ago every piece of advice would help me a ton

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Sounds like they all need cages. Yes, it is more work. The two new ones sound pretty at risk and afraid for their lives. If it is too much, maybe you know of someone with one budgie who would accept a second? I don't own budgies but it seems like I read over and over that budgies seem to pretty accepting (not always but likely) of another budgie and do well in pairs. Conversely, again if it is too much, you could re-home the lovebirds making sure the new owner(s) know the risks and need for 2 cages and get a second budgie. Lots of good articles and tons of experts on budgies and lovebirds on the board that can help with information. I hate to see birds re-homed, but if they are stressed, and you are stressed, it isn't a good experience for anyone. I certainly wouldn't live with a housemate i thought might kill me, and the birds wouldn't do it in the wild. If you do decide to re-home, there is a re-homing section on this board, that way they are likely to end up with someone who understands their needs. I am sorry this hasn't been working out for you, you were being very thoughtful to try to make sure Victor had a mate and the budgie in need of a home got one.