• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird Vigourously shakes head

Shyamala

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shyamala
My female African peach faced is vigorously shaking her head as if trying to gag/getting some stroke. She's very sleepy. I don't know what to do. We don't have an avian vet here and it's midnight.She looks sick.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We cannot diagnose a shake of the head. If you will let us know where you live we will attempt to find a vet for you.

My vet has told me that a bird who has a headache (yes birds have headaches) will shake his head a lot. That can be consistent with a beginning stroke.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Shyamala,

If she is sat like that in the picture, then she is sick.

Try looking a little farther from home, maybe the next city has a vet. Some of the members here travel hours to seek medical attention (I´ve seen up to 4-5 hours).
As Mary said, if you let us know your city, we can try our best to help you locate a vet.

Shyamala

Real Name
Shyamala
I live in Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India. With the Covid situation travelling far isn't possible. I don't know what to do. My Peach is sick.

Shyamala

Real Name
Shyamala
Peach is fine now. I didn't go to a vet or consult one though. Tried Ayurvedic medicine. Boiled some Basil and Ajwain and gave her the water for two days. She's back on her feet trying to bite my fingers and flying around the house like crazy. Back to normal. Thank you guys.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice to hear your bird seems ok now.

I see you have a nesting box. I would refrain from allowing breeding right now until you are sure your bird has recovered completely from whatever was wrong. The last thing you want is to allow breeding and the worst happen while there are chicks in the nest.