• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird doing weird thing with his tongue?

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
I am very confused.
My green cheek conure seems to be itching his tongue a lot (?). I've only noticed it since yesterday, and it looks very unusual, he sticks out his tongue and then uses the tip of his beak or sometimes the bars of his cage to scratch it. I've seen this behavior only once before, over 2 years ago and it passed after a couple of days.

I'm thinking he might have some food stuck somewhere or something is bothering him, but his tongue and beak look normal to me, no signs of injury or anything out of the ordinary. The weird thing is that he only does it in his cage. When hes outside he stops and acts completely normal.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any help would be much appreciated!

He's been to the vet a month ago due to a minor teflon poisoning incident but he was cleared and they checked him a week later as well and said theres nothing wrong with him at all. I'd prefer to avoid going again so soon because I paid a fortune last time and my wallet is crying, also I tend to be overly paranoid, so I wanted to ask here first.

Worst case scenario maybe I'll wait it out and see if it subsides in the next few days. It's so tiring to always worry about him :sad4:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you get a video?

Some birds are just bar lickers!

Tammie123

Meeting neighbors
I've been trying to get a video but he seems to have stopped doing it haha...

He went from doing it for 3 hours on the first day, to just about 2 minutes last time i checked, but he seems to have stopped. Maybe he was just having a weird day...

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My CH Conure is very, uh, tactile. He uses his little, black, spoon-tipped tongue a lot! He licks the rail on his cage top, he’ll stick his beak in between parts of a hanging toy and flick his tongue on and out at the rope or chain, he sometimes sucks on his toes. Maybe using the tongue a lot happens with some conures?