• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I got bit!
I volunteered at the parrot rescue today! LOVED IT! I was giving a sulfer crested cockatoo small piece of banana chip through the cage. He liked my finger better. I had no reaction and they had first aid. Here is a bandaid pic, I will post again when I take it off.
View attachment 364183
I had such a wonderful time. And I'm happy that I'm in the cockatoo-bite club!
Ahh, I'm jealous. I don't know of any parrot rescues in my area. I would just LOVE to volunteer at one. Even with the biting!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Ahh, I'm jealous. I don't know of any parrot rescues in my area. I would just LOVE to volunteer at one. Even with the biting!
Me too. There is only 1 rescue in whole of India, that I know of and it is 1000s of kms away. I am not even sure that they allow to volunteer, but I would love to one day :cloud9: .

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Me too. There is only 1 rescue in whole of India, that I know of and it is 1000s of kms away. I am not even sure that they allow to volunteer, but I would love to one day :cloud9: .
I don't know if any of you are on facebook but if you are you can check out PEARL Parrot Rescue's page. They just posted a very emotional video (to me at least) showing the happy and the sad of rescuing. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to volunteer with them but there are days it brings you to tears too.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
I don't know if any of you are on facebook but if you are you can check out PEARL Parrot Rescue's page. They just posted a very emotional video (to me at least) showing the happy and the sad of rescuing. I consider myself very fortunate to be able to volunteer with them but there are days it brings you to tears too.
I am not, but I am on Instagram, but still we can view FB videos without logging in, so I'll make sure to watch it!!! Thanks for telling! :thanks:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Me three....
Yes I love volunteering! It's one of my favorite things to do! If the only rescues are far away, maybe ya'll could just visit once, just to see what it's like? It's so worth it, I've never been around so many different species!

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Got a good reminder not to be distracted when playing with a cockatoo. Sigh. The bite was completely my fault. Elvis was super excited to play. He knows he has to station before I throw his sock. I grabbed it too soon because I was thinking about the 20 things I need to do today and wasn't paying attention. He went to grab the sock and got my index finger. My not small goffin was hanging off my finger. I think he hit bone. So just in time for wrapping presents etc I have a bandaged up finger. And he's been an angel ever since. I know he didn't mean too. But ouch.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Got a good reminder not to be distracted when playing with a cockatoo. Sigh. The bite was completely my fault. Elvis was super excited to play. He knows he has to station before I throw his sock. I grabbed it too soon because I was thinking about the 20 things I need to do today and wasn't paying attention. He went to grab the sock and got my index finger. My not small goffin was hanging off my finger. I think he hit bone. So just in time for wrapping presents etc I have a bandaged up finger. And he's been an angel ever since. I know he didn't mean too. But ouch.
:hug8: I still whack my thumb with a hammer every so often. Even after a million nails. :D

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Update. So the cockatoo did bite through my nail and cracked it. Currently, it's almost completely healed. It swelled a lot in the first days.
20201206_123852.jpg 20201209_211647.jpg 20201210_122313.jpg 20201210_122521.jpg 20201206_123946.jpg

And I got another bite. Had a caique on my finger for the first time. She/he went to town nipping my hand. I had to put he/she back in the cage. Not bad, but swelled more than I thought.
Notice the red dots on the back of my hand:
20201215_142217_Film1.jpg
20201215_172123_Film1-1.jpg 20201215_170254_Film1-1.jpg
And look at my swollen index finger compared to the rest:
20201215_175629.jpg

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leia drew blood for the first time today! It was entirely my fault and I feel very silly about doing what I did. Poor girl was giving me every warning she could and I insisted on going ahead anyway.

I've had worse papercuts but that's only because she was holding back.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Leia drew blood for the first time today! It was entirely my fault and I feel very silly about doing what I did. Poor girl was giving me every warning she could and I insisted on going ahead anyway.

She really must care about you. Lurch after he finally decided I was his chosen one would very clearly give warning if I persisted he'd bite. BUT he moved slower and usually didn't bite as hard as he could. He seemed to care about me and didn't want to do the damage he did when he was new and scared to death. Of course it was a feature so it was a tool in his box he would use if he felt I needed it...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She really must care about you. Lurch after he finally decided I was his chosen one would very clearly give warning if I persisted he'd bite. BUT he moved slower and usually didn't bite as hard as he could. He seemed to care about me and didn't want to do the damage he did when he was new and scared to death. Of course it was a feature so it was a tool in his box he would use if he felt I needed it...
I think she does <3 I'm not really convinced that she intended to bite - she strikes quickly but I think she just meant to beak me, and it was an accident that her upper beak caught my thumb.

Haha, yes, they do like a well-equipped toolbox.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

I've had a pionus bite my ear once.... HOT DIGGITY DAWG!!!!! My ear burned awful for three hours after that. No holes just a powerful pinch. From then on I swore anything bigger than my conures would ever have shoulder time.