• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad to see this thread. It's a great reminder to those who think they want a large parrot.

I've only had mild nips compared to these, but, one way or another, I know my day will come.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I've been bitten twice pretty bad and many not so bad. The two bad one's left scars on my arm. One was from an Amazon many years ago (about 20) from a parrot I took in named Johnny. He loved my husband and hated me. He'd chase me through the house and laugh the whole time I'm yelling and running. After the bad bite in which he wouldn't let go my hubby let his parents have him. They had him until he died. His age unknown.
The other was from an Amazon I had named Queenie. She was something else. So fun.. but she'd try to bite me every chance she got. Then the big bite happened and I gave her up.. but I reqret giving her up. I wish I could find her, I'd take her back in a heartbeat. I've learned a lot since then and just because they bite that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with them any way. Just have to have a different kind of relationship..

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Well this is not nearly as gory as some previous pics this is my most recent blood drawing bite. I just really, really, really wanted to touch Chloe's feathers....and paid the price:hehe::hehe::hehe: Nevermind...I cannot find the picture but it was a bloody fingernail.

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
just adding my pics in.

This is my middle son (10yo when these were taken) with our now rehomed BE2. As you can see she adores him.

This occurred a couple of weeks later when he walked into the bird room and she was on a rampage. he caught her off guard and she attacked. Grab with beak and claws, swing around and go for another spot. My husband had to get her off, get our son out and she spent the next hour smashing at the door before I towelled her and put her and some pinecones in her cage. These pics were taken the day after.

Due to fused wings she was unable to fly so she would wander around the back yard during the day. Her behaviour over 2 years became more and more erratic until we had 4 nights in a row of her waking up screaming hysterically between 2 and 4am. She would not calm down until my husband (who could do anything with her) let her out and went and slept on the floor near her cage. The final morning she was with us she went for my husband. A friend very experienced with 'toos took her short term while we looked at rehoming preferably on property with someone experienced with birds with issues. He put her in with a male BE2 then had to pull her off before she killed him.

I've been around 'toos for close on 30years and never experienced a bird like this.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ouch!!! That's a nasty one. I can see lots of bruising. :(

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Geese are bad bruisers. I've never been bitten by a big parrot but I've taken bites from budgies, conures, IRNs... And not just wee little bites, deeper bites that left a relatively deep gouge (I mean, for small birds!) I wish I'd taken pictures of my past goose's damage on my arms. He was a hormonal male, one of the most aggressive goose breeds out there. I'd "rescued" him as a baby and was trying to deal with his chronic health problems... And found out he was vicious. Geese might not piece skin but what they do is they take the tips of their beaks, which are sharp, pinch onto skin and TWIST without letting go. Twist repeatedly. Nasty little buggers. And see, he did this to me, because he wanted to mate with me. :D

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
oh... i got bit on my cheek yesterday. not gonna take a pic. by my dad's red-bellied parrot...again. bad bruise. never realized how much i used my cheek until now.

i was looking away and didn't realize she was uncomfortable - she prob. gave me signs but i didn't see it. she hopped onto my shoulder and wham...

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Those were some bad looking bites!!

I have to say the worst bites I ever had were from BH Caiques. One was mine, she would get in a mood and come after me and hold on and grind. The other was a friends, the bird was very friendly to me, I had her on my finger to put her back on a perch and she grabbed me. I would hate to have some of the bite like shown.

My G2 will use his mouth to hold on, or to guide my hand to scratch his head, but tonight he used his beak to grab my nose, it was meant to be gently but was a tad to rough. No marks though.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Gosh, we were at a bird store to get some bird food, and my daughter was just swooning over this BE2. SHe (the bird) was just dying for attention, and saying "hello! Hello!" in the cutest voice. There was also a baby M2, rocking back and forth, wanting to be scritched. He came out of the cage and was just like a puppy dog. I'm glad these pics remind me how hard these birds can be!! I'm lucky to have 3 non-biters, and I'd better keep it that way!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Ugh!!! "Exploratory bites" :scared2: ??? Ummmm.... am I just lucky, or should I be expecting some damage from those, eventually?! :huh:
I'm sure that you will probably get bit eventually especially with a conure. That's just part of bird guardianship.:lol:
I got chomped pretty good by a citron cockatoo at the rescue yesterday. Completely my fault. He is really nervous with woman and has full on attacked me trying to kill me twice before, but has been better with me lately. He was really good last night, stepped up once and was dancing and talking on my leg (I was sitting on the floor cleaning a cage). I had to get up to move to the next cage, and he wouldn't get off of me. I offered my hand, he stepped up but was obviously scared I went to put him down on a cage and chomp.

Attachments

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Ouchie on some of these pics!!! The worse bite I've ever had was from Dr. Burkett's Caique. Apparently, I'm not the only one who has a souvenir scar from Elvis... lol.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
This is a bite I got the other day from a DYH amazon. He was over-excited due to the presence of a bunch of little kids in the store, and in saving the kids from most likely getting attacked, I got him to step up on my arm and he clamped down on it twice.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ouch. That one is going to bruise up nicely. Every color of the rainbow!!:)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Jellybean finally got me good! I don't know what triggered it but he bit my lip and ground his beak back and forth into it. My arm went flying and got him off of me, then he stepped up like nothing happened :huh:

Anyhow, here's the lip!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jellybean finally got me good! I don't know what triggered it but he bit my lip and ground his beak back and forth into it. My arm went flying and got him off of me, then he stepped up like nothing happened :huh:

Anyhow, here's the lip!
Ouchie! Hahn's have such sharp, pointly lil beaks too. Sorry he gotcha Heather. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Another big ouch!!! Lips bleed like a sucker too. :(