• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Ouch...just reading this thread! Just one of the reasons I'll never have a big bird. I'm too chicken...pun intended. Gussie is quite nippy...she IS a conure...but has, to date, never broken my skin. I believe she could, if she wanted to. Buddy, my recently departed lovie, rarely broke skin. She had various degrees of pressure when biting, starting with a warning nip & gradually escalating, as necessary, depending on how stubborn--or inattentive--I was being. She occasionally did go for blood...deliberately. The bite that annoyed me the most was the welt she would raise on the skin just below my collar bone. Never broke the skin there, just raised a welt. She knew just where to bite, depending on where she was at the time I annoyed her. Her favorites were just below my eye brow, my nostril, the upper part of my ear, my lip, the skin just below my collar bone, and, my least fave, the smallest but most prominant part of my chest...she knew where it was & went for it, even when it was covered with several layers of cloth! Fortunately she reserved that one for extreme irritation. And, fortunately, she was too small to perform an actual amputaion. I hope your big birds don't ever learn that trick!

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Elima does nails too! Here is the wound when it was fresh back in July and today.

Attachments

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Ouch...just reading this thread! Just one of the reasons I'll never have a big bird. I'm too chicken...pun intended. Gussie is quite nippy...she IS a conure...but has, to date, never broken my skin. I believe she could, if she wanted to.
Lucky! Apple always breaks my skin! :(

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I dont ever really take pictures of my bites. The onyl bad one I had was on the palm of my hand. Lucy got me in between my index and middle finger about 1/2 an inch below the knuckle. She went almost the entire way through my hand I could see her upper beak making my skin on the top of my hand bulge. That was over a year ago and I still have a numb and tingling feeling there and in 2 of my fingers often.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
This is a really painful post to me at present! Not thought of taking a pic of the blood dripping on the floor, suppose looking for he plasters was more important at the time!
Gosh some of those pictures brought tears of pain to my eyes!
never want to see another human suffer like that, but it is a bit of a comfort to know I am not alone!:rofl:

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
I have taken care of parrots, both large and small for over 20 years. No battle scars like that. I know the damage their beaks can do. I never let a large parrot near my face; regardless how well I know the bird; and even if it likes my company. Please exercise caution. Your loving cockatoo may blind you one day. On another Forum I frequent regarding reptile keeping and natural history, there are individuals who feel a need to display envenomation damage (necrosis with oozing tissue fluids) from improperly handling their venomous snakes. The result of Testosterone Poisoning..

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Whoa!
On another Forum I frequent regarding reptile keeping and natural history, there are individuals who feel a need to display envenomation damage (necrosis with oozing tissue fluids) from improperly handling their venomous snakes. The result of Testosterone Poisoning..

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Geez, those bites are terrible guys!!!! Danita I literally cringed at that photo, that is by far the worst parrot bite I have ever seen.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It didn't hurt nearly as much as it looked, until, it was half way healed and then Kiwi bit it in the exact same spot. That was 10x more painful than any of it before.

Geez, those bites are terrible guys!!!! Danita I literally cringed at that photo, that is by far the worst parrot bite I have ever seen.

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
John ... that's some impressive beak damage.

This is a pic of a bite I took years ago from my female Umbrella, Zoe. She wasn't one to puncture ... just grab & twist.

This bite is about 2 wks old.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
The worst bite I ever got was from a Sennie that came to visit the store, I wasn't paying attention and the little guy bit into my thumb.. his bottom beak literally scraped about an inch of skin off my thumb. I've never bled so much!! I probably should have gotten stitches but I refused! It was HORRIBLE and omg so painful!

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:omg: My little bite pictures aren't even enough to post pictures of compared to those.
Yep I'm for sure just going to enjoy seeing everybody else's bigger birds.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Ouchie!!! :omg: The little beaks here can't do that much damage to me. They can break the skin, but rarely do.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I deleted my face picture from flickr so I don't have that one on here anymore and I forgot to take a picture of my daughter's face. Her face still is sore and my ribcage is still sore from Baby's bites but luckily both have healed up nicely.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ouch i am greatful squeeky has never bit me!

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Hey John if you don't mind me asking what bit you in those photos?

It's kind of funny I came across this thread as I JUST got bitten, twice... by my dads bird (red-bellied parrot) didn't feel too good.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I deleted my face picture from flickr so I don't have that one on here anymore and I forgot to take a picture of my daughter's face. Her face still is sore and my ribcage is still sore from Baby's bites but luckily both have healed up nicely.
What type of bird bit you guys?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Umbrella Cockatoo. Hormonal male in his prime and on the hunt (Just under 900 grams). Most of them happened early on when he still had lots of baggage he was carrying around and I was not as good at reading him.