• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Specie to Pick as a Golden Conure Buddy?

nuggetluv

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
Hi friends, it is my first time posting here so I am unsure of all the etiquettes but I know that most of you are really knowledgable on different bird species. I currently have a 6 month old golden conure and since I know that they love a large flock, I am thinking of adopting another bird to keep him in company. As of now I have considered cape parrots, blue headed pionus, an african grey, or any large size conure species. I am okay with a loud bird as long it doesn't hit cockatoo/macaw level and I am leaning on getting a male to decrease the likelihood of hormonal behavior. Does anyone know if any of these breeds are communal breeders like the golden, or that they are more likely to get along with other birds/less jealous? Any input is appreciated!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your best best is probably another golden conure. Failing that, choose another large conure.

The other species you mention are very different, and are less likely to show similar levels of sociability and energy.

In addition, Greys produce powder down which can harm your conure's respiratory system.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another large conure is probably your best bet, possibly a small macaw. African Greys and Pionus to me don't feel compatible with the energy level of a conure. Capes I am not sure of but my Jardine's is also not as active as a conure would be.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Agree with other replies, another golden conure is best. Failing that, a a large conure or even a macaw would probably work. Golden conures are very macaw-like.

nuggetluv

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
Thanks for all the input! I have now narrowed my choices to a mitred conure or a severe macaw. Can anyone attest to how friendly these two species are towards other birds? I would love to get another golden but unfortunately they are really hard to find near me.

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A breeder here in Phoenix would put them with Caiques. She felt they made good companions growing up together. They were a riot together as juveniles. As adults, I don't know. Noise levels and bird calls are very subjective and we each have our tolerance level for them.

We joke that severe macaws are called that because they have severely bad attitudes. I've had rude, yet hysterical encounters with them. I've only seen a few mitred conures in person. They are beautiful but I know nothing about their personalities.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
A breeder here in Phoenix would put them with Caiques. She felt they made good companions growing up together. They were a riot together as juveniles. As adults, I don't know. Noise levels and bird calls are very subjective and we each have our tolerance level for them.

We joke that severe macaws are called that because they have severely bad attitudes. I've had rude, yet hysterical encounters with them. I've only seen a few mitred conures in person. They are beautiful but I know nothing about their personalities.
can attest to the severe attitude!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The average weight of a golden conure is around 250g, while a Severe Macaw averages 400g (my Jericho is 450g) -- a yellow-collared macaw would be the closest in size (250g), and a Hahn's would be smaller (150g).

It very much depends on the individual personalities of the birds, whether they will get along. I'd also offer that the history/upbringing of the birds matters. Jericho was raised as the only bird in this past home and he has zero flock manners. He has injured my green cheek conure and even tries to bully my Military. I love my Jericho, but his species doesn't seem like the best match with a Golden conure.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award