• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best safe cookware?

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What non-non-stick cookware do y'all use?

Right now my partner and I just have random pots and pans, some are teflon and some are not, but they're all old and banged up and we're looking at getting new ones.
I have a cast iron skillet but am hoping for suggestions that are quite a bit lighter, since I have issues with my joints.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Teflon is horrid for our feathered friends, it can kill them. My humble opinion is to PITCH it.

I purchased a few odds and ends of pots and pans. I look for things that say NO PFOA/NO PTFE on them, I look for both sets of initials. I think mine have a ceramic layer that is non-stick.

Last edited:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Teckechick

Thanks for the post, I corrected mine. I had the wrong initials!

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Mighty thank you, everyone!
I take it ceramic, though it is nonstick, doesn't have the same dangerous air diffusion that teflon does?

Also to be clear on a point: I don't currently have any birds.
But I assume the teflon vapor isn't good for my dog and have noticed now that is does bother me to cook with it. I'm being extra careful for now, but am looking forward to getting a different set entirely.

Thank you kindly for the link to the eco-friendly cookware! <3

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Also to be clear on a point: I don't currently have any birds.
But I assume the teflon vapor isn't good for my dog and have noticed now that is does bother me to cook with it.
My birds probably saved my lungs (and health), too.

I even replaced my stove because it had a self cleaning feature and I was scared my family would turn it on by mistake. I now have a Whirlpool that has a new feature to clean the oven (still won't try until the parrots are away from the house).

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
My birds probably saved my lungs (and health), too.

I even replaced my stove because it had a self cleaning feature and I was scared my family would turn it on by mistake. I now have a Whirlpool that has a new feature to clean the oven (still won't try until the parrots are away from the house).
Whoa~

I will keep that in mind! I didn't even know the self cleaning feature was no bueno.
Thank you kindly!

What feature does yours have that is safer?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have the low heat, steam clean. Haven't used it yet. Info is here:

Frequently Asked Questions

The other oven self cleaning mechanism can kill birds. It is very high heat and burns off chemicals from inside the stove. I used one years ago (before I owned birds) and it scared me, thought my cabinets would catch fire.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I use mostly stainless steel or pyrex. Recently discovered Greenpan | which is amazing! Non stick ceramic. I have two of their frying pans and cook the odd omelet for the birds.

jessicabra

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jessica braham
I am also looking for safe cookware!! If anyone knows best safe cookware than please guide me.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I am also looking for safe cookware!! If anyone knows best safe cookware than please guide me.
There are many threads on the forum on this topic. I suggest you look through them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I don't have birds yet, but have never wanted cookware that kills anything. I use stainless steel & a little cast iron or enamelled cast iron.

jessicabra

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jessica braham
I am looking for the best safe cookware in my budget. If anyone can guide me that would be very helpful for me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am looking for the best safe cookware in my budget. If anyone can guide me that would be very helpful for me.
If you live in the US, then I would recommend that you check Amazon for one of the above mentioned types of pans as Amazon is running different sales daily for the next few weeks.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jessica, we don't know where you are in the world or what your budget is. As such, it's difficult to recommend anything.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My suggestion @Clueless and everyone else - don't ever use the self-cleaning cycle on your oven. As you say, it is very high temperature, around 800F and ash will be produced that is harmful to you and your pets. I tried it on my oven a few years back before I had my budgies. I used my oven about 3 more times after that and then it broke. The repairman told me not to ever use that self cleaning cycle because the high temperature will melt/degrade some of the small wires and temperature sensors. Let your family and friends know. These days when people are baking more, people may be tempted to use that cycle.