• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best safe cookware?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Stainless steel is generally the cheapest of the three kinds I mentioned, at least where I live. But there are periodic bargains on cast iron, including Lodge (made in USA!) locally.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I got rid of all the PTFE (Non-stick) stuff before I brought Nibble home 19 years ago. Now I use Stainless Steel pots and pans, Cast Iron Skillets, Glass bakeware or Raw (uncoated, Nordic Ware brand read the label as they sell both non coated and coated) Aluminium. It didn't cost att that much to do. I got eh SS at an outlet store. The cast iron was a (Rehome, if you will) from my stepfathers mother after she passed. the glass and aluminium bakeware both came from Wally World.

A properly seasoned Cast Iron skillet will be non stick with no coatings, remember to preheat it before tossing the food in. And NEVER use soap to wash to just water and a soft nylon pad, then heat it up to drive any moisture out and a light coating of cooking oil to stop and rust from forming. Check garage sales and thrift stores for used Cast Iron you'll likely have to scrub and reseason it but you can get a real bargain that way.

Stainless Steel will also work almost as well as non stick if you preheat the pan first then add the food.

Remember you don't have to buy everything at once, I bought what I needed as needed other then the starter set of SS pots and pans. And you'll find what you use so your not wasting money on things that just gather dust and take up space.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nordic ware is great! My cookie sheets are those. & I completely forgot about glass. I do have some of those for certain kinds of baking, mainly my attempts at pies.