• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cookware

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hi, I hope it is ok to post this here! My wedding is coming up soon and we have family who would like to gift us some nice things for our cooking- our cookware is definitely due for an upgrade. Our birds aren't in the kitchen but even so, I like anything we use to be bird safe. Here I find it easy to source things that are PTFE free but not PFOA, no one seems to know about it.

Any reccomendations?! We keep being asked what we would like!

Reactions: Ali

scott199

Walking the driveway
ceramic is good and mostly safe but be aware, some ceramic has PFOA in it to stick the ceramic down.

really your looking for both to be safe, i found these, you may be able to source something or your looking at Stainless
C8E4C279-4E3A-4098-8226-318BA310B22C.jpeg
Found this and then emailed the customer service about the claim, the reply below.

"Thank you for your message and I do hope you are having a lovely day.

I can confirm that the ceramic coatings do not contain PFOA or PTFE, which are toxic to birds. I would advise not to overheat the pans, as overheating could cause the pan to give off other potentially harmful toxins. We do advise to only use the pans on low-medium settings in order to maintain and preserver the coating.

I hope this resolves your query and please, feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Kind regards,

Aaron Dennehy
Customer Services Advisor
www.russellhobbs.com"

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
Ceramic contains no POFA or PTFF usually. However you should always check to be sure. :)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have definitely seen some ceramic with PFOA so don't assume that it doesn't!

I keep trying ceramic pans but they die on me within a couple years. I much prefer my stainless steel. I also recently bought a PTFE/PFOA free copper pan and really liking that, but too early to tell the longevity.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

We use Greenlife! The colours are gorgeous too, I love the yellow and the pink, we currently have red.

Here's a link to their website if you wanna look into it a little more

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a ceramic skillet for about 1 year and the coating wore off and food began sticking to it after using. I dont feel they are safe anymore. I picked out a cooking pan that is wonderful to use made from some kind of stone. It is not too heavy for me and has lasted through much use. There are 3 sizes. Plus you can now get a set of pans which is new.
Caannasweis Nonstick Kitchen Cookware Set, Pots and Pans Set Includes Nonstick Frying Pan, Saucepan, Cooking Pots Casserole Dish with lids, Stone Tea Kettle...
Size:4-Piece Set

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thanks everyone! I use stainless steel at the moment but could do with something bigger than what I have for bigger portion sizes maybe we'll stick to that. Don't think I'll bother with ceramic if it wears off and cast iron is too heavy for me!