• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best cage for college dorm?

ghostsnbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mattis
I'm taking my ESA (a green cheek) with me to college and I was planning on a new cage to get for my dorm. I'm not allowed to bring furniture in that's larger than 3'x3'x3' which his current cage is larger than that. I'm planning on leaving his cage at home for when I travel down for the holidays.

Is there any cages y'all would recommend for a roughly 12'x12' dorm with three roommates (myself included)?
Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is not really an environment fit for any bird. 3' x 3' x 3' is the obvious absolute minimum because he's going to be spending a lot of time in it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Mattis :)

I agree to get a cage that is the maximum size of a piece of furniture that you are allowed.

Also, be sure that your roommates are happy to adhere to rules RE living conditions with the birds health in mind; no deodorants, no perfumes, no candles, no sudden loud noises after your birds bedtime. Hopefully they are good guys and you can work something out.

Reactions: tka

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The best I can think of is just a standard 32x21 flight cage. Most larger cages have legs or a built in stand, making them more than 3 feet tall. But the flight cages can be used without their stands - the cage itself is 3 feet tall.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Not a good environment for a parrot to be living in.

ghostsnbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mattis
(Kinda a catch-all more info reply) My roommates have had birds for most of their lives so they know about living with him as well as a lot of the things unhealthy for birds are banned from the dorms for being safety hazards. Toshi rarely spends a lot of time in his cage as he's always out with me and my longest class is roughly an hour and 45 minutes long with an hour and a half long breaks in between. So he will rarely be alone. His current cage (not including stand) is under the minimum requirements so I will be able to take something of that size.

As for not the best environment, I think my college is atypical of the regular college environments. As it's a small arts school where the whole campus is contained to one block that's in a quiet suburban neighborhood. If I had any inclination that the school and Toshi wouldn't be a good fit then I wouldn't do anything that could harm him.