• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bells: yes or no?

deftpwnes

Moving in
Real Name
Jude
Hi everyone!

I see so many posts and videos and webpages about how great bells are for birds, but then I see the horror stories of birds’ beaks, feet, etc getting caught in them. So my question is… are bells bad or good? Is there a more complicated answer?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jan

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
It can depend on the bird and the style of Bell, they are not all made equal!
My budgies have 'one' bell, and my Slaty also has one bell. Both were made by @Jan :)
20230321_093407.jpg 20230317_142947.jpg

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hey! It depends on what type of bells they are :) (As long as the bird can't get stuck on something it's safe)

Bells like this are unsafe
1679351908143.png

These types of bells are usually safe
1679351997037.png

If it's for a larger bird I'd use these
1679352203989.png

Attachments

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
They can be safe, or unsafe.
Majority actually depends on the bird. The most common type of bells you see, have a little "hook" inside them to hold the part in the middle. If your bird sticks their beak inside the bell and chews the hanging part in the middle, it can be unsafe, as they can unhinge it and choke, or get their beak stuck on the sharp hook. You are able to use pliers and press it flat against the top of the bell to minimise risk. My favorite bells though are the long, cylinder ones. Like KiwisDad posted, as there's almost no risk. Unless you have a small bird that can squeeze inside it. :)

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
All my stainless bell toys are safe, all orings welded on all toys. I have numerous bell type toys on my site for birdies!!

The common liberty bell can cause problems should the bird twist the metal up inside and remove the clapper ... those type of bells are not welded up inside.

NelBird

Meeting neighbors
I had to remove mine. It was a typical bell shape and bird safe but Nellie would hang off it with his beak stuffed inside. It was wearing his beak down in a circular way around the middle of his beak that was freaking me out and I was afraid of him damaging himself.
I’m going to get him a tubular shaped bell instead but I just haven’t gotten around to ordering one yet.
It was his favorite toy but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All my stainless bell toys are safe, all orings welded on all toys. I have numerous bell type toys on my site for birdies!!

The common liberty bell can cause problems should the bird twist the metal up inside and remove the clapper ... those type of bells are not welded up inside.

I will testify that Jan's bells are macaw safe. I put this one Foraging Bell in the aviary last year. Brought it in when we put the aviary stuff away for winter. I hung it in her cage. She plays, attacks & hangs from it every day. She plays with this toy more than the others she has. If it will hold up to my B&G Macaw JaKhu it'll hold up to any bird, LOL.

deftpwnes

Moving in
Real Name
Jude

Awesome! I’ll start saving up for one <3