• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak Discoloration in Male Indian Ringneck

kenthebird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kennedy
I just returned home from college for winter break, and my parents have been taking care of my bird this semester until I move off campus next year and can bring him with me. I gave my mom all of the instructions about taking care of my 2 and a half year old male IRN (diet, toys, lots of playtime outside of the cage) and she's done a very good job as far as I can tell. However, she has been letting him eat a lot of pecans from our tree and some seeds in a pellet/dried fruit/seed mix - even though he's never eaten seeds and didn't when I was his primary caretaker (he was on a pellet and fresh fruit/veggie diet).

My cause for concern is his bright red beak has some yellow discoloration towards the tip that I never saw when I was his caretaker. I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid but could the addition of fatty seeds and nuts to his diet be causing this discoloration? Could it be a symptom of a liver or other organ issue? Is it just natural change in color as he matures? His behavior is still very good, he's super vocal and chatty and not lethargic at all, and the feather condition is very good as well, nothing seems off except the discoloration - but I also know if something internal is wrong he could be concealing symptoms.

I have a whole month off from school so I'll take him in for blood work as soon as possible. Please let me know what you all think! Devi beak.JPG

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think he looks good. My IRN dosent have that, but then they are all different. Merlin eats hardley any seed, mostly fruit and veggies with a few pistachios, and lately an almond. Only you know him, do if you feel somethings not right. Then just get him checked.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan has the same yellow tip on his beak., and has had it for years.
If you want to consult your vet about it, go right ahead...nothing wrong with that...it's called being a good parront...;)