• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird questions

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
The dad is the one in the front and the mum is the one with a flat looking head in the back. I have a few questions that i’m hoping someone can help me out with.
1. The baby is looking very yellow right now, will it stay a yellow bird or will or change colours and if so what are the possible colours it could be? will i just have to wait and see?
2. in one of the photos you can see that one of the other unhatched eggs is two different colours. Is it rotting and should i take it out?
3. this is my first experience with a baby bird, do you guys have any tips?

Attachments

Jogging around the block
@Zara @Gigibirds breed/have lovies, they should be able to give you the best advice.
I was just wondering if you know how to hand feed baby birds if the parents were to abandon/reject/abuse them? It is an essential thing to know when breeding. Really you need to do a lot of research before letting your birds have chicks, but if you haven't, you already have the birds so better late than never

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
@Zara @Gigibirds breed/have lovies, they should be able to give you the best advice.
I was just wondering if you know how to hand feed baby birds if the parents were to abandon/reject/abuse them? It is an essential thing to know when breeding. Really you need to do a lot of research before letting your birds have chicks, but if you haven't, you already have the birds so better late than never
i have done a lot of research, but a lot of it conflicts with one another. i’ve watched videos on how to hand feed, and done a lot of research about it but i know that you have to be very careful because it’s very easy to break a baby lovebirds neck among other issues. I’m just trying to get as much advice as i can.

Jogging around the block
i have done a lot of research, but a lot of it conflicts with one another. i’ve watched videos on how to hand feed, and done a lot of research about it but i know that you have to be very careful because it’s very easy to break a baby lovebirds neck among other issues. I’m just trying to get as much advice as i can.
I know how you feel, I have done research on a lot of animals and there's a lot of different opinions and methods everywhere haha. Here is a great place to ask for advice since most people here have hands on experience. I wish you luck with the breeding and healthy chicks! :D

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1. The baby is looking very yellow right now, will it stay a yellow bird or will or change colours and if so what are the possible colours it could be? will i just have to wait and see?
Oh yea, he´s bright yellow. I can tell you your chicks will be Green series. Non will be Blue series.
Right now, going off the down that is all we can determine. Later once the feathers grow in you will see the mutations.

2. in one of the photos you can see that one of the other unhatched eggs is two different colours. Is it rotting and should i take it out?
That egg won´t hatch I´m afraid. But leave it there for now. Take it away in a few days.
Unhatched eggs are helpful. Though if you have a marble, check there´s no chips in it, wash it and replace the egg with it.

3. this is my first experience with a baby bird, do you guys have any tips?
After reading your posts, I will say, find a local breeder and ask they show you how to handfeed. It´s easier to learn watching and doing rather than reading and videos.
There´s a great thread here;

I´m looking at your pictures, and I can´t work out, is that the base of the nest box we can see under the chick?
Be sure the box has at least 3inches of wood shavings in (Aspen is best, course pine is ok, never fine pine, NEVER cedar). Gently press the shavings down and make a dent with your closed fist for the chicks to sit in.

Another tip, be sure you have everything on the list checked, so you have everything you need;
-Hand rearing formula
-Feeding utensil - I use syringes but always recommend feeding spoons to a novice
-Candy thermometer to check formula temperature
-brooder
-heating pad if your brooder is not a professional one
-Aspen shavings - Course pine is ok if you can´t get aspen. Never fine pine, and never ever cedar.
-Thermometer (digital) for monitoring brooder temperature
-Hygrometer for monitoring humidity inside the brooder
-Weighing scales - you can use a gram scale, or a 0.01 scale while they are so small.
-Pedialyte, or natural unflavoured coconut water
-Papaya
-Nursery cage with plenty of perches (to move the birds into after they fledge)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can tell you your chicks will be Green series. Non will be Blue series.
Oh, I think that is three pics of the same chick? If so, then I´m refering to that one chick, and not the unhatched one inside the egg.

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
Oh yea, he´s bright yellow. I can tell you your chicks will be Green series. Non will be Blue series.
Right now, going off the down that is all we can determine. Later once the feathers grow in you will see the mutations.

That egg won´t hatch I´m afraid. But leave it there for now. Take it away in a few days.
Unhatched eggs are helpful. Though if you have a marble, check there´s no chips in it, wash it and replace the egg with it.

After reading your posts, I will say, find a local breeder and ask they show you how to handfeed. It´s easier to learn watching and doing rather than reading and videos.
There´s a great thread here;

I´m looking at your pictures, and I can´t work out, is that the base of the nest box we can see under the chick?
Be sure the box has at least 3inches of wood shavings in (Aspen is best, course pine is ok, never fine pine, NEVER cedar). Gently press the shavings down and make a dent with your closed fist for the chicks to sit in.

Another tip, be sure you have everything on the list checked, so you have everything you need;
-Hand rearing formula
-Feeding utensil - I use syringes but always recommend feeding spoons to a novice
-Candy thermometer to check formula temperature
-brooder
-heating pad if your brooder is not a professional one
-Aspen shavings - Course pine is ok if you can´t get aspen. Never fine pine, and never ever cedar.
-Thermometer (digital) for monitoring brooder temperature
-Hygrometer for monitoring humidity inside the brooder
-Weighing scales - you can use a gram scale, or a 0.01 scale while they are so small.
-Pedialyte, or natural unflavoured coconut water
-Papaya
-Nursery cage with plenty of perches (to move the birds into after they fledge)
Yes that is the nesting box. Is it okay to pick up the baby bird to put more shavings in? Also thank you for the advice!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes. Just be sure to thoroughly wash your hands first. You can put the chick on a piece of kitchen roll on in a shallow bowl for a second while you do it, or get someone else to put the shavings in.

BUT, if that white egg (not the weird non viable one) hasn´t hatched yet, just wait for now. When it has hatched, then you can do it.