• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Caique not too playful?

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Hello everyone!

6 Days ago I got myself a female baby black-headed Caique (3 months old) from a reputable breeder in my country, along with a huge cage with many toys and perches.

I was able to choose which baby to take home and this one was just so curious about me so I ended up bringing her home. Overall she is very calm and delicate, as in she doesn't seem too agressive (yet, at least, as I've read around) and she enjoys chewing and playing with her toys in her cage from time to time. She also just learned how to fly, but does not fly very accurately yet :roflmao: . Whenever I take her out of her cage, she seems to enjoy being around me, already steps up to my hand when I want her to (not 100% of the time of course) and will fly to my hand when I call her from some distance (not too much distance as she wants to come but is afraid of taking off :roflmao:).

However, she doesn't seem to be too playful? She enjoys biting on chain-like toys and playing with the famous plastic balls with some "bell" inside when she is in my hand, but for the most part she just enjoys being "perched" near my bedroom window and, when in the living room, to be perched in the central lamp, above everyone's heads. She doesn't stay on "flat" surfaces at all, like my bed, sofa or tables to play with toys, she just starts climbing me up to stay in my hand/arms/shoulders or to fly to a window perch or the living room lamp as I've said. She also doesn't "sing" too much, just makes some funny and sometimes loud noises. She is cuddly tho! She lets me pet her anywhere without harassing me and when she's sleepy she enjoys being covered around her body by my hands while I cuddle and kiss her!

Regarding cage time since I got her, on weekends I make sure she gets as much as I can of time outside the cage. During the week she is left at home with my retired dad while I'm at work. He entretains her and keeps her company, plays with her and changes her food but doesn't really get her out of the cage (I guess he is a bit scared yet) but as soon as I get home, about 6 PM, she stays outside the cage with me, 1 on 1 time, until bed time at about 9 PM.

I'm not sure why she is acting like this, maybe because she is still young and because of a short bonding time still? Can you guys give me your opinion/experience on the matter?
I noticed that as the day goes by she trusts me more (today she started flying to me on command, yesterday she didn't, for example), but yeah, I'd like some opinions to stop being too paranoid about not making her happy enough :cry3:. I left some pictures of her attached!

Thanks in advance!

Moki4.jpeg Moki3.jpeg Moki2.jpeg Moki.jpeg

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too cute!!!! :swoon:

I actually got my baby in early July of this year and he was very much the same. Always wanted to be on me and attached to me whenever he was out. I think it definitely gets better as they get a bit older. They might not know how to really play with the toys or you're just more interesting to them than the toys right now haha but I would try playing with the toys with him or setting him down with the toys and being near him to give him some confidence to explore and play. Some members suggested foraging activities to me for my bird which really helped him be more independent. I would set him down with a foraging bowl show him treats going in and he'll be engrossed in his bowl.

My boy's about four months old now and a lot less clingy than when I first got him (it's bittersweet I kind of miss him being clingy but on the other hand I can also scroll my phone in peace without him trying to land on my hand every few min :shy:). He'll still fly after me when I leave the room though :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your bird is young and still very new to you and your home so I would not expect a heap of playing till it is well settled in- right now the birds focus will be on learning to fly well, eating, sleeping and learning the people and environment around them.

I know the cuddling, petting everywhere and being held in cupped hands might sound cute but it really is not a good, healthy or positive thing to do for your birds health (mental, emotional, sexual and physical), it is best to start correct healthy interactions from the very start so you do not end up with hormone and behaviour issues as your bird matures.

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
My caique took probably 2 months to warm up to toys after we got him at ~4 months old. He was Very Skeptical of all types of toys and only wanted to be with his humans. Then he discovered that sola is fun to chew, and now he loves all toys as long as he sees one of us briefly play with it first. He’ll happily swing around hanging upside down from whatever toy he’s attacking now, but when we first got him, he’d just stay perched on us or in one spot in his cage and stare.

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Your bird is young and still very new to you and your home so I would not expect a heap of playing till it is well settled in- right now the birds focus will be on learning to fly well, eating, sleeping and learning the people and environment around them.

I know the cuddling, petting everywhere and being held in cupped hands might sound cute but it really is not a good, healthy or positive thing to do for your birds health (mental, emotional, sexual and physical), it is best to start correct healthy interactions from the very start so you do not end up with hormone and behaviour issues as your bird matures.
I’m sorry for replying this late bur my email wasn’t notificating me properly lol. I know about the hormonal precautions, as I’ve had prior experience from two female lovebirds. I tend to stick it to the neck and above only. Except when she goes belly up (yes, she started doing it by week 3 with me!!!) and starts playing with me with her little feet! Overall she is a much different bird, as everyone advised me, being much more playfull, confident and active! Thank you for your reply and sorry, once again, for replying this late

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear your baby's doing well :D
Would love to see more cute pictures of her :swoon:

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
She‘s stunning! I don’t have any experience with Caiques but just wanted to say that she’s absolutely beautifu!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
He's beautiful :xflove: I'm glad to hear he's more active!

Trent84

Strolling the yard
I know this is an old post, but glad to see all the caique babies acting pretty much the same way. I got mine 5 days ago and my experience is exactly the same as yours. Super clingy and always on me or my boyfriend, or our phones, almost 0 interest to all the toys when outside the cage because he find us way more entertaining. I think he needs to feel we're here, and then he can go play on his own since this is already his 2nd home
He did play with the ball a few minutes (I showed him how to use the thing) and he's not afraid of anything, but yeah, I am also very anxious and I really want him to learn how to entertain himself for his own mental health.
Hope your baby is growing great ❤