• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
@LunaLovebird, I agree for the most part. But, with how I've seen my dog with many birds, and with how many wild birds and baby animals he's rescued for me (I wish he'd let nature take its course), I know there's zero chance he would hurt them. He loves playing, but is extremely mellow with small animals. At a whopping 10 pounds, he's a giant, but completely understands his size. He gets wild with my conure (who plays back), but never to where he could potentially hurt him. With the lovebirds, he just lays down and pokes his nose at them, inviting them to play.

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
Mom, dad, and the babies came out to play tonight. I originally wanted to keep just one baby, but it'll be hard rehoming the other two! Each has such a different personality! The oldest is friendly but spunky, the middle is mellow as can be (completely content just perching on your finger), and the youngest is a cuddle bug (has to be in your hand, or crawling into your clothing to nestle. @metalstitcher, they're about a month old now.

Attachments

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What a beautiful little family!:grouphug2:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Worse case scenario, if the youngest chick gets pushed to the side again, or isn't getting enough food (keep in mind, younger chicks eat less than older chicks), it would be better to try pulling the older chicks first, rather than the younger ones. This should, in theory, save you from having to feed young chicks around the clock, and allows the parents to pay more attention to the younger chicks.

You can also look into co-parenting. That is, helping to feed the chicks while they are still in the nest.
Great advice. I have raised many different lovebirds. The parents have always been the most reliable of all the various species that I've had experience with. You seem to be a good parent! It is good to see a breeder again on here!
Katherine

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
@Monica & @KatherinesBirds , that's a great idea! I've never handfed before, and the two babies that passed had seemed fine, so I never intervened. Them also being first time parents, prob had part to do with it. As soon as these babies are out of the nest and eating, I'm going to remove the box until spring. Mom already acts like she wants to nest again!!! Now to find a mate for my crazy colored peach face hen. Plus meet 3 cockatiels this weekend that need rescuing. Thank goodness I'm single, and most likely it'll remain that way. Crazy cat folks are nothing, compared to crazy bird people!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
They are just so adorable. I would take one but hubby already told me he would change the locks on the door if I brought another bird in the house. He seems to forget I know how to pick locks though lol. You'll find a crazy bird lady one day trust me lol they are out there :roflmao::hehe:

Rolanda

Boy, If I lived closer I might be in Divorce Court! The babies are Sooooo cute!

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
@metalstitcher and @Rolanda, I do happen to have appropriate shipping boxes from when some of my finches came. What could your hubbies do if you got some surprise birds delivered? Lol!!

Rolanda

Mine actually saw one at our Bird store he was intrigued with today. It was a baby in their nursery and was a soft yellow with pale blue in it's backside. He'd SWEAR I did it. But Alas, he couldn't do anything... :hehe::dance4::dance2::birdance:. "But Patrick, The poor LITTLE thing was in the mail ... In YOUR Name... Nothing we can do now but LOVE IT. What do you want to name him?"

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I have no idea lol. He would think it was all my idea probably :hehe:

We went to the bird farm and a Hans macaw kept talking get to me poor thing was a plucker. He was such a cutie I wanted to take him home.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
LOL my husband about went nuclear when I mentioned it lol I think the fact I was spying a mini macaw at the bird farm that was talking to me didn't help matters much either lol. I really do want to get more birds but he is being such a butt about it. I need to figure out a way to get him to just give in.

Petro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Petro
Toooooo jealous!! I'd want to keep them all. I'll always have an extra soft spot for this colouration, as my first lovie looked identical

Rolanda

Hubs and the 8 year old though I was asleep and were talking about me last night. I sleepily said "Huh? Honey, Can I have a Lovebird?" He said "Really?" I said "Yep!" he said "We'll See." :naughty:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Y'all are too funny! Haha. Though I suppose us bird folk always need a non-bird folk to prevent us from becoming bird hoarders! These babies are getting more and more adventurous and curious.

Or you just end up meeting someone who's crazy about animals (doesn't necessarily mean they grew up with them, they just love them!), you show them another species of animals that they've never really got a chance to interact with before, let alone consider, and now they can't decide which species to choose first! ;)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So how are they doing? did you end up keeping them all or did you end up getting good homes for them?