• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
So far, 3 of the 6 eggs from my Lutino Fischers pair have hatched. This is my first time breeding lovebirds. I've only bred finches. When you open a finch nesting box, they tend to immediately beg for food. When I open the lovebird box, the babies seem to just bumble in circles with each other. Is this normal, or should they be begging for food? The parents seem very diligent about feeding them. These are black eyed, so they don't have the lethal gene that red eyed carry.

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It is normal for them to hunch low and pretend to be invisible.

Boy!
You are right about the finches! They are so cute with their long giraffe necks stretching up with a tiny little head up top, bustling and hitting their siblings as their gaping yellow beaks spread wide.
"Cheep cheep cheep cheep"
aka
"Food food food food"!
:D

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Peach faced lovebirds are boring next to finches! As long as they have food in the crop, no worries.

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
Sorry, didn't get notifications for the responses! 5 babies now, and one more egg. BUT, when I came home today, one of the youngest babies was 8 inches away, in the corner of the nest box! Clearly didn't get there alone! He's much too small to hand feed, but I'm debating about putting him into a finch nest that has only 1 baby, ready to fledge in a week. Not sure where he's better off! Ugh.

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
Peach faced lovebirds are boring next to finches! As long as they have food in the crop, no worries.
Mine are Fischers, but they're definitely not more boring. They love going to visit the finches, whereas my only finches that'll venture outside of the cage, are the Shafttails. The Shafttail finches are my favorite finches.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Mine are Fischers, but they're definitely not more boring. They love going to visit the finches, whereas my only finches that'll venture outside of the cage, are the Shafttails. The Shafttail finches are my favorite finches.
Talking about the baby's there. Baby peach faced are boring. Finches are all begging, peachies are almost lethargic.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sorry, didn't get notifications for the responses! 5 babies now, and one more egg. BUT, when I came home today, one of the youngest babies was 8 inches away, in the corner of the nest box! Clearly didn't get there alone! He's much too small to hand feed, but I'm debating about putting him into a finch nest that has only 1 baby, ready to fledge in a week. Not sure where he's better off! Ugh.
It cannot be fed by a finch

Borncountry419

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason Halonen
Well to update, 5 of the 6 babies hatched. The 6th should've by now, so I doubt it will. I had moved the displaced baby back to the best, and all 5 are still doing well. The size difference is crazy from the first hatched to the last!! Parents seem to know what they're doing, so I'll let them do their thing, then start handling the babies once they're a bit older.

Attachments

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Awe little lovie babies:heart::heart::heart:

Just keep an eye on them to make sure the parents don't start picking at them when their down starts coming in.

@Monica can you offer some advice

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Worse case scenario, if the youngest chick gets pushed to the side again, or isn't getting enough food (keep in mind, younger chicks eat less than older chicks), it would be better to try pulling the older chicks first, rather than the younger ones. This should, in theory, save you from having to feed young chicks around the clock, and allows the parents to pay more attention to the younger chicks.

You can also look into co-parenting. That is, helping to feed the chicks while they are still in the nest.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
OMG! That baby is so adorable!

Rolanda

The 2 smallest passes (late hatches), but the 3 are doing great!
That is about the cutest little face I have seen in a long time! There's a Smile on that little face, even!:loveshower:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
What a cutie. I'm sorry the other two didn't make it but you these three to keep you on your toes :fairy2:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sorry about the 2 that passed. Good that 3 are doing well. Cute photos!