• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any good out of cage toy advice?

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
I wanna get toys and such for outside the cage so that it feels more inviting for Aro to play in given he seems a little nervous to explore, but I feel completely clueless on where to even start. I've been looking into play gyms but all the ones that would be a good size for him are pretty expensive and wouldn't fit in the small room I have (basically assume everything would either have to be attached to a wall or be table safe), which I'm trying to get him used to before exploring the rest of the house, and I was wondering if there was any alternative or ways I could make my own for cheaper? I've seen some made by PVC that seem easy to make myself, but I have no idea where to even start on that.

What do you guy's birds like toy wise to play with most out of cage? What kind of stands and such are best for them? Should I focus more on saving up for really good toys and stands given he currently has little interest in exploring outside of his cage or just go ahead and buy/make stuff that are cheaper in the meantime while waiting to get better ones?

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Sorry! You're right, thats a pretty hard ask xD

Toys wise anything under £50 or around, play stand wise under £100 but again, around that price range works I'd just have to save up if its more then it

Size wise for toys,,,Anything that black capped conures would be comfy with haha, Aro specifically loves toys he can pick up /tear apart, or ANYTHING that makes noise, he LOVES noisy toys not bells though as they overstimulate him.

For perches I was thinking around these sizes? Honestly anything that he would have fun playing on and not just feel like he had nothing to do

X X X X < Images not mine, obviously

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A clothes horse, some untreated sisal or seagrass rope, some bird safe branches etc, there are so many cheap ways to make fun hang out areas for your bird but without knowing what kind of bird, what your bird area is like, your skills for building or your budget we are going to be pretty stuck to help much.

Edit: oops you posted just before I did lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you can find a sisal boing and can attach a plant hook or similar to the wall to hang it from, or hang it from the ceiling, that's been hands down the best thing I've ever done for my birds. Right now I have one attached to a window from a shower perch suction cupped to it!

An end table with a couple of food bowls and a basket of foot toys is easy and cheap.

There are few "playstands" that my birds really have used. Just giving them a safe space to be near you or a window seems to be more popular :)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
You are in uk aren’t you ?
have a look at scarlet parrot essentials they are a massive hit with my lovebirds toy wise they have sisal rope boings too
Foraging toys are my bird’s favourites in and out of cage

paper cup with wooden sticks pushed through millet and treats inside shredded paper on top hung with leather rope @Wardy idea which my birds love
Paper straws stuffed with sunflower seeds @Wardy again
Foraging box plastic container with shredded paper bits of old toys or foot toys seeds/treats in bottom you can put this on top of his cage

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
64E1263B-2E92-4A3D-927A-C7E01CADBFED.png
I zip tie these to cage stuffed with millet 767748B0-CFA4-4429-97A3-B4B2FD59D565.png
Massive favourite to chew strip i

5CF8607F-6AA6-4F4D-B27D-24FBC7CAC7B9.png A7B089F9-35A8-46D4-875B-86AC7248CB94.png
FC833045-2AC1-4CAA-83CE-5BC89140DEB4.png
31795535-01D5-4A0A-85EA-197DC190AE79.png
I zip tie the boxes to cage fill with millet seeds nutberries they love all these toys just as idea for you

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made a playstand for Mojo from pvc pipe i got online cost about £70

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, Kira's favourite toys are a load of chunks of corrugated cardboard on top of her cage - like these

She likes throwing them around and beating them up

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Honestly, Kira's favourite toys are a load of chunks of corrugated cardboard on top of her cage - like these

She likes throwing them around and beating them up
I may have to give these a go indie would love them I’ve just put my order in this morning though

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Rattan balls are pretty fun for birds, usually in the rat or hamster section. Make sure to remove the little bell inside it though. I stuff mine with shredded papers and treats inside.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I would suggest northern parrots as well as scarletts and parrot essentials. They have their black friday sale on and you can save alot of money :)
Amazon sometimes has cheap hanging toys and table top play stands fairly cheap.
I'm in the UK too so I get alot of my bird's toys online.
If you go to B&Q you can get pvc pretty cheap with all the nuts and bolts and get some vet wrap from amazon so your wee one doesn't slip.
You can hang ladders and perches from that too since you don't have alot of space. :)

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you
Just on the note of the paddlepop sticks/lolly sticks, sometimes they can splinter and become sharp so make sure to monitor them.
thank you I will keep an eye on them

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I do so much on a budget. 3 of my cages i got second hand in like new conditions, then scrubbed with soap and water and wiped down with dilute Beach. Facebook market place, Craigslist, some petstores keep returned cages in tge back if you ask. Second hand stores .

I got a mint condition rolling playstand this way as well.

I use ceiling hooks and heavy weight fishing line to hang many perchs, bongs , swings , natural safe branches .

Sesgrass cargo nets are pretty cheap and you can find large long ones abd do a lot with them.

I cut up most of my toys and make several smaller toys and spread them around .

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
I do so much on a budget. 3 of my cages i got second hand in like new conditions, then scrubbed with soap and water and wiped down with dilute Beach. Facebook market place, Craigslist, some petstores keep returned cages in tge back if you ask. Second hand stores .

I got a mint condition rolling playstand this way as well.

I use ceiling hooks and heavy weight fishing line to hang many perchs, bongs , swings , natural safe branches .

Sesgrass cargo nets are pretty cheap and you can find large long ones abd do a lot with them.

I cut up most of my toys and make several smaller toys and spread them around .

Do you think something like this would be good for sticking on the walls/roof and hanging up toys and such? Since I live in a rented house I can't really drill into the roof or walls xD

1669904149823.png

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Do you think something like this would be good for sticking on the walls/roof and hanging up toys and such? Since I live in a rented house I can't really drill into the roof or walls xD

View attachment 418335
If it will support weight yes. Just keep them from reaching and chew livk the metal. Fishing line works great because can't climb it to reach walks or ceiling.