• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Conure?

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Hey, so my boyfriend and I have had a pyrrhura conure, Dino, for about 2 and a half weeks (maybe white eared, honestly not sure, you can see my other thread on that). He is 4 months old and he is very very sweet, doesn’t bite, cuddles, plays, is learning target training and a few other things. He’s absolutely wonderful and we’ve been thinking that we just want more and more birds! With proper research and preparation of course. I worry that he might not be fulfilled as a single bird. We’re really interested in a caique but we’re worried he will be too big for Dino to play with, or that he’ll get jealous. We’re ok with it if we need to keep them separated but that doesn’t solve the companionship problem. I’m wondering if it’s a better idea to get another pyrrhura conure for Dino to be good friends with (hopefully, they would both be young so that helps), or if it is fine to have 2 single birds. Will Dino love us less with another conure? Or will he be fine as long as we socialize him a lot (as we do now)? What sounds better, Dino+ conure+ eventually caique, or Dino+ caique? Would 2 single birds in separate cages provide a bit of fun and companionship for each other? Some other species we’ve been thinking of are quaker(s) or aratinga conure(s), so you can let me know if those might be a better choice. Also, how should quarantining work? I’m seeing some websites that say you need to quarantine for 90 days, which seems pretty long. Thanks for your time!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp has somewhere between 10 and 100 conures :lol:

Another pyrhurra is definitely the best choice and best chance of being friends with your current bird. It is much healthier for them to have a similar species companion for sure!

One thing with mixing beak sizes (aratingas and caiques both have larger beaks) is that even in play or a simple "go away" move from a bigger bird can seriously injure a smaller bird. And, bigger birds can kill smaller birds through the cage bars. Pyrrhuras don't know they are small and can get themselves in trouble very quickly. So I would try to keep the beak sizes as similar as possible.

Caiques can also be bird aggressive, so I wouldn't personally recommend them.

I have 2 quakers and while I love them dearly, I think if I knew what I know now about them, I would have chose a different species. '

Another thing to consider is that getting a bird around the same age means 2x the hormones come puberty. I did puberty with a quaker and a green cheek - wasn't fun and I almost regretted getting birds! :lol:

A true quarantine is supposed to be done in separate air spaces, where you change out clothes and wash inbetween. It is very hard to do in a home. The suggestion is at least 60 days because that is the common incubation time for diseases and illnesses that may not show up in a routine vet visit.

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Thank you. Some of the options I’m thinking of:

•Two single birds with separate playtimes (pyrrhura and caique)

•Getting another small conure and getting the caique sometime further in the future, with separate playtimes
(2 pyrrhuras, a caique)

•Not getting a caique at all, maybe pyrrhuras or aratingas or any other less aggressive birds

Considering the caique, would separate playtime be enough to live harmoniously or is that going to be tough just having them in the same room? They would definitely be in separate cages that are not touching. Would my best bet be putting the caique in a different room? We are a bit set on caiques, but we won’t get one if the birds are going to be unhappy!

When does green cheek puberty start and how long does it last? My bird doesn’t seem to be a gcc but I’m assuming at least he will be similar...

Is this level of quarantine necessary? What is the most successful method?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@Mizzely - :laugh: I have a roomful...but everyone can adopt a couple and help a girl out. ;) In addition to my 16, I have two long term fosters from a friend (which I may have to count as mine as we are going on a year) and nine fosters with Feathered Friends of MI.

Everything ^ she said. Def go with another of the same species but anticipate a worse case scenario that they dislike each other...

You need to read and talk with caique owners about the good and the bad because there can be a very bad. And remember, they sometimes escape from their cages so you should anticipate that in your plans..."what if"...but if you commit to different rooms and have twice the time to devote individually, then your chances of a maimed cheeky are less.

Get all your disease testing done as well and ask your vet about quarantining. But if you are going with a breeder or someone with other multiple birds and/or no vetting history, stick to the high end.

Hormones seem to hit about 9-12 months of age. You may not see issues at all or even notice...some can be extra clingy, or tail tipping and squeaky versus super nippy.

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Thank you! I’ve heard some birds can be best friends one day and attack each other the next. If we get another pyrrhura and the two are best friends, could they eventually be in the same cage? Or would it always be a worry that they could turn on each other? And this might seem like a weird question but is there a way your bird knows you were playing with another bird (I know they don’t have a great sense of smell) and get jealous?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you! I’ve heard some birds can be best friends one day and attack each other the next. If we get another pyrrhura and the two are best friends, could they eventually be in the same cage? Or would it always be a worry that they could turn on each other? And this might seem like a weird question but is there a way your bird knows you were playing with another bird (I know they don’t have a great sense of smell) and get jealous?
Yes, they could eventually be caged together (large roomy cage is helpful)...just be prepared IF they break up later. It happens. I have a girlie who didn't like other birds, liked Happy and then dumped him. Now she is cage mates with two others which was totally a surprise.

And no, unless they see you playing with another, they do not know. However, I do feel they pickup on emotions.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes birds can be the best of buddies and then decide they don't like each other any more and start fighting.
It's not predictable. I've had it happen with birds who have been together for many years. Not conures, though, but can happen with any type of bird.
As for quarantine I generally do that for 30-45 days even with birds who have been examined by a vet.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think it might be too soon. 2 1/2 weeks is not enough time for you to get to know your current bird. If you want a good relationship first then wait. If you want to find a buddy that could possibly share a cage then maybe another baby soon might be OK...but you risk a good relationship with them & no way to &guarantee even if they get along for a year that they won;t grow up 7 want there own space.

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
I think it might be too soon. 2 1/2 weeks is not enough time for you to get to know your current bird.
We’re definitely not getting one right now, we were thinking 2-3 months (and then 1-2 months separated for quarantine). So they would in introduced 3-5 months from now. Would that still be too soon? They don’t need to share a cage, I just don’t want Dino to be unfulfilled without any bird friends.

We’re thinking of a pineapple gcc. Does anyone have tips/links to websites or other threads on introducing birds?

And then after these two are well established in our flock (a year maybe???) would it then be ok to get some/a bigger bird(s) that we keep separate?