• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon attitude - photo thread.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I don’t feed asparagus because I’ve read it can often cause gut upset but I have seen a fair few people feeding it. I’ll keep the asparagus for myself I think!
I feed it and he loves it, but I never paid attention to his behavior afterwards.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My supermarket pharmacy gave me a free syringe yesterday when I showed them your photo to prove I wasn’t going to use it to shoot up! I’ll make the rounds to a bunch of places to build up a stockpile.

The organic cherry juice only came in a large bottle, and cost a fortune, like 9 bucks! Instead, I got these mini-boxes of nothing added watermelon/strawberry juice, but I’ll look around for other stuff and spend a few days first getting him/her used to the sight of the empty syringe, let him nibble on it, etc.

Fyi...

You can buy the syringes w/out needles online. I got mine from walmart.com but I believe amazon carries them also. IF your really friendly w/ your pharmacy people they will give you one here & there. Or IF you know someone w/ a child they can ask for one for you periodically.

If your gonna store them, I recommend 2 things. Put them into a ziploc bag or vaccum seal them & then put them in an air tight container. I keep my entire birdy go 1st aid kit in one. I hate it because it came broken but not so broken it doesn't function properly.

I recommend storing them this way because air majes the little rubber gaskets break down over time...

This is a huge Sterlite container.

20210212_131928~2.jpg 20210212_132009~2.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Also washing them makes them beak down. I basically separate and then rinse with hot water but they still deteriorate quickly.

Last syringe from vet doesn't have a rubber gasket but it annoys me to try to look at it and see if it's lined up at the right spot.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
My fav syringe for feeding [anything from a LB to Amazon]... was a 10ml/cc // Cathetor Tip // O-Ring... the O-ring rubber gasket, is fabulous for holding up under multiple cleanings... BUT YOU CAN'T FIND THEM ANYMORE!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My fav syringe for feeding [anything from a LB to Amazon]... was a 10ml/cc // Cathetor Tip // O-Ring... the O-ring rubber gasket, is fabulous for holding up under multiple cleanings... BUT YOU CAN'T FIND THEM ANYMORE!!!
@Macawnutz were these the type of syringes you talked about recently on another thread?
I need to order some syringes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz were these the type of syringes you talked about recently on another thread?
I need to order some syringes.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks. I'll check those out tomorrow. Secret gets a tiny amount so I need a smaller syringe. I only fill to a .03?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Macawnutz -- I will look up the squirrelsandmore.com site, however I APOLOGIZE ... very reluctant to click on the highlighted multi-line https site --- perhaps I am overly cautious, but consider potential problems w/ that many digets...
Thank you so much for your help!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz -- I will look up the squirrelsandmore.com site, however I APOLOGIZE ... very reluctant to click on the highlighted multi-line https site --- perhaps I am overly cautious, but consider potential problems w/ that many digets...
Thank you so much for your help!
Its the O rings syringe on amazon. Not sure why it gave such a long link.

Thanks. I'll check those out tomorrow. Secret gets a tiny amount so I need a smaller syringe. I only fill to a .03?
You need 1ml syringes. I don't think them make those in O rings. Amazon.com: Oral Syringe - 1 mL - Best for dispensing liquids and oils - Individually Wrapped - 5 pcs by BioRx: Industrial & Scientific

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very statuesque & majestic... :smileflower:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Macawnutz @zoo mom @Hankmacaw

I ordered syringes from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. These were awful, I can't read the numbers with the medication Secret has.

Found another syringe with regular dark numbers but it says non sterile. Can I buy these for her medicine? I really want the ones with the black rubber end, she used to them.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Both B-D and care touch are good syringes. You don't really need sterile syringes for oral medication. If you reuse them they are no longer sterile anyway. Just make sure to wash them with hot soapy water. Rinse well and air dry.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
This is the syringe that I have found is least expensive, sterile and long lived. I've used these for several years.

That's what I'm looking for, dark black base so I can see when meds are in!!

@zoo mom I was told not to use soapy water, that it broke down the rubber. I use HOT water from faucet and run through for some time, then air dry. Still these break down quickly.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Unfortunately no matter what you do they will break down quickly. At work (home care) we actually wash them in hot soapy water and then put them in microwave sterilizer bags that are used for baby bottles. The put the plunger in and force as much of the water out as we can. We then pull back the plunger until it is almost out and let them air dry. Our syringes usually last about 4-6 months. We use Coviden monoject syringes. But we have 20-30 syringes in rotation at any given time.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Actually it is probably more like 40-50 syringes in rotation. She uses 8-12 syringes a day.

Unfortunately no matter what you do they will break down quickly. At work (home care) we actually wash them in hot soapy water and then put them in microwave sterilizer bags that are used for baby bottles. The put the plunger in and force as much of the water out as we can. We then pull back the plunger until it is almost out and let them air dry. Our syringes usually last about 4-6 months. We use Coviden monoject syringes. But we have 20-30 syringes in rotation at any given time.