• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazon attitude - photo thread.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Fresh off the press....here's Bo our RLA after dinner this evening. He's finally eating healthier human food, which we're thrilled about. But.........try wiping his beak after a meal like this by hand......NOT! He insists on my shirt.

1612307470189.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Had to share.... before the quinoa tonight,
20210202_223131.jpg 20210202_223341.jpg
I start with a spoon because if the medicine drips out of the syringe, the spoon can catch it. Then I put quinoa in the spoon to soak up the medicine.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a great idea with the spoon. Good to know!
Not bad for an old bird, huh? Secret just grabbed at the syringe one night as I tapped the syringe against the spoon and the rest is history. Won't take the meds in the morning from the syringe but at least I know one full dose gets in her.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Had to share.... before the quinoa tonight,
View attachment 372071 View attachment 372072
I start with a spoon because if the medicine drips out of the syringe, the spoon can catch it. Then I put quinoa in the spoon to soak up the medicine.
I wanted to start doing something a few months ago, but never got around to it:

I want to acclimate Archie to take food from a syringe, a treat, in case I have to administer medicine one day. Also, maybe a training reward.

I’m thinking stuff like canned pumpkin, or certain fruits squashed into a mush to fill the syringe.

Any ideas?

Also, I would use a bigger syringe than pictured above. That’s real “medicinal” size, as opposed to the larger ones I have for cooking purposes, or that you would use for hand feeding after weaning.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Use the same syringe you'd use for medicine. Secret didn't like the other size and you'll be up a creek if you need to give meds.

Try organic juice. Tart cherry juice is good for something, arthritis? Memory lapse right now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very clever! ;)

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Use the same syringe you'd use for medicine. Secret didn't like the other size and you'll be up a creek if you need to give meds.

Try organic juice. Tart cherry juice is good for something, arthritis? Memory lapse right now.
Good idea! He likes cherries, so I’ll see if he goes for the juice.

And yeah...the smaller syringe makes more sense.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.

I’m thinking the cherry juice might have too much sugar as a reward treat. At first, to get him/her used to the syringe...okay.

But I wonder about what else for long-term use. This guy just isn’t motivated by food at ALL. (Unlike me. I’ll do anything for a Mallomar.)

Maybe I’ll try caviar!!!

Actually, the right peanut butter might work, if it can flow through the syringe.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're just giving him a little.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sadly I can't post it and she's not an Amazon, but my girlfriend put on a facemask (the kind you smear on your face to help your skin) and Leia was FURIOUS. Full on puffed up angry ball of feathers furious! I'm a horrible person because I laughed and took pictures.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Sadly I can't post it and she's not an Amazon, but my girlfriend put on a facemask (the kind you smear on your face to help your skin) and Leia was FURIOUS. Full on puffed up angry ball of feathers furious! I'm a horrible person because I laughed and took pictures.
Please post it. I would love to see that one :laugh:

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Well, they do make powdered peanut butter... I don't know if it has any additives tho... maybe put some in applesauce and thin it out...
I think it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to have them get used to the small syringe, in case you need to administer some meds... I'd never thought about that!

Doctress

Strolling the yard
He is way too big for the mirror. But he loves it. And he gets what he wants. 9A7F3F8F-3E79-479C-945E-147213FF9AA0.jpeg

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
You're just giving him a little.
My supermarket pharmacy gave me a free syringe yesterday when I showed them your photo to prove I wasn’t going to use it to shoot up! I’ll make the rounds to a bunch of places to build up a stockpile.

The organic cherry juice only came in a large bottle, and cost a fortune, like 9 bucks! Instead, I got these mini-boxes of nothing added watermelon/strawberry juice, but I’ll look around for other stuff and spend a few days first getting him/her used to the sight of the empty syringe, let him nibble on it, etc.

Last edited: