• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Alexandrine or Lord Derby? Help me decide please!

Littlepixie12

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gabriela Fatone
Hello all! I have been looking to get a larger parrot for quite some time. I’ve owned many birds in the past my GCC passed last year and now I’m ready for another friend. In a perfect world, I would love a Grey but since they are out of my budget I was looking at either an IRN (love the colors) or the Alexandrine (love the size not so much the color). I found two breeders (IRN breeder and an Alex breeder). the Alexandrine breeder has a male, which I prefer but now told me she has Lord derby babies too. So now I’m confused as to which bird to get! They are all so precious. I’m a stay at home mom so have plenty of time to spend with the bird and have two small children that grew up around animals so they will respect the bird. Which bird would everyone choose and why? I was leaning towards the Alex until I saw the colors off the Derby but their isn’t much info about them online. Thanks!!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
First of all, Welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you. :fairy:

IRN, Alex and Lord Derbyans are all intense chewers. As you go up in size you will need a steady stream of wood chews. The larger the bird the more expensive these toys will end up being. There are affordable options, like natural branches if you have trusted forests in your area that you can confirm don't use pesticides.

The size of the cage is another consideration. Lord Derbyans and Alex will need a similar sized enclosure. The Alex has a very long tail. Lord Derbyans are much larger birds by weight= more food and more toys. I am bring this up mainly because budget was part of what you shared as a consideration for one of these birds. All of the species will need fresh veggies and some fruit also which can get expensive over the course of a year depending on what your budget is. Keep in mind this toy, veggie, fruit and veterinarian annual budget will be for the next 30 years or more.

Derbyan Parakeets or Derbyan Parrots | Beauty of Birds

Derbyan Parakeet (Psittacula derbiana) | Parrot Encyclopedia
Alexandrine Parakeet (Psittacula eupatria) | Parrot Encyclopedia

In terms of behaviour the Asiatic parrots are not physical birds in the way your GCC was. So be honest about this consideration. If you want a bird that you can scritch and physically interact with an Asiatic parrot may not be the bird for you. Asiatics love spending time with their people and they are HIGHLY intelligent. I find my plumhead very rewarding. They just show affection differently. Their feathers aren't like other parrots and they don't need help with pin feathers. Generally they can be overly stimulated by touch and can either nip or get sexually aroused. Most only get physical for copulation.

Feet are a safe touch area. Step up is no problem :)

If you are coming from a GCC who was all about scritches it might be an adjustment for you. May I asked what happened to your GCC? How old was your little one? It is so hard to say good bye :(

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Wow, I've never heard of a Lord Derby Parakeet. They're stunning! So are most Indian parakeets, but I don't think I'd get one personally because I prefer more affectionate birds. I just like admiring them from afar. Good luck with whatever you decide!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

Littlepixie12

Real Name
Gabriela Fatone
First of all, Welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you. :fairy:

IRN, Alex and Lord Derbyans are all intense chewers. As you go up in size you will need a steady stream of wood chews. The larger the bird the more expensive these toys will end up being. There are affordable options, like natural branches if you have trusted forests in your area that you can confirm don't use pesticides.

The size of the cage is another consideration. Lord Derbyans and Alex will need a similar sized enclosure. The Alex has a very long tail. Lord Derbyans are much larger birds by weight= more food and more toys. I am bring this up mainly because budget was part of what you shared as a consideration for one of these birds. All of the species will need fresh veggies and some fruit also which can get expensive over the course of a year depending on what your budget is. Keep in mind this toy, veggie, fruit and veterinarian annual budget will be for the next 30 years or more.

Derbyan Parakeets or Derbyan Parrots | Beauty of Birds

Derbyan Parakeet (Psittacula derbiana) | Parrot Encyclopedia
Alexandrine Parakeet (Psittacula eupatria) | Parrot Encyclopedia

In terms of behaviour the Asiatic parrots are not physical birds in the way your GCC was. So be honest about this consideration. If you want a bird that you can scritch and physically interact with an Asiatic parrot may not be the bird for you. Asiatics love spending time with their people and they are HIGHLY intelligent. I find my plumhead very rewarding. They just show affection differently. Their feathers aren't like other parrots and they don't need help with pin feathers. Generally they can be overly stimulated by touch and can either nip or get sexually aroused. Most only get physical for copulation.

Feet are a safe touch area. Step up is no problem :)

If you are coming from a GCC who was all about scritches it might be an adjustment for you. May I asked what happened to your GCC? How old was your little one? It is so hard to say good bye :(

Hi there! Thanks for the reply! In terms of money consideration, I was referring to my dream bird (grey) costing roughly 4K US dollars near me (Texas) whereas the Alex and Derby are $800 so that’s a big price difference. I’ve already got a very large cage and the breeder confirm it was larger enough for a derby/Alex and she said I need a wooden perch so I would get one of those. I’m very used to buying toys and such and my other birds always just ate we we did so that should be fine as the breeder said these birds also eat fruits/veggies. My GCC was VERY affectionate. He would sleep in my shirt!! I miss him so. I’m not sure what happened to him he seemed healthy and one day he was sluggish and not that playful and the next morning I woke up and he was lying on the bottom of the cage. I cried all day. He was about 12 years or so but I did buy him from a Petco so who knows how long he really was. That is why I’m going with a breeder this time.

My next bird doesn’t necessarily have to be super cuddly with me as I usually have one of the kids on top of me on the sofa and night but when they are in school I would like to interact with the bird for sure maybe teach it tricks/words etc.

Do you think the IRN is a better choice then?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think all 3 will be just as rewarding :) some IRN like scritches but they will be much less physical than conures.

Lord Derbyans can be a little standoffish with new people, but as you know every bird has their own personality.

I think asiatics are sort of the hidden gem of the parrot world. They are more independent and I enjoy that my Plumhead will entertain himself whilst I work on other things. When I leave the room he calls for me and follows me. He likes hanging out all day. He will nap on my shoulder.

They are all highly intelligent birds. I am blown away by how quickly they learn. My guy is really excited to do training games.

I think it comes down to the size that suits you best. Maybe your breeder will let you meet some of the birds to help you decide. :)

Littlepixie12

Real Name
Gabriela Fatone
I think all 3 will be just as rewarding :) some IRN like scritches but they will be much less physical than conures.

Lord Derbyans can be a little standoffish with new people, but as you know every bird has their own personality.

I think asiatics are sort of the hidden gem of the parrot world. They are more independent and I enjoy that my Plumhead will entertain himself whilst I work on other things. When I leave the room he calls for me and follows me. He likes hanging out all day. He will nap on my shoulder.

They are all highly intelligent birds. I am blown away by how quickly they learn. My guy is really excited to do training games.

I think it comes down to the size that suits you best. Maybe your breeder will let you meet some of the birds to help you decide. :)
Thank you! I’m thinking the same. I want a bird that a little more independent so I can clean the house/ cook etc but I would like if he got on my shoulder or just let me hold him in my hand while I talk to him. I’ve already met the baby Alex and baby derby but I haven’t been able to meet up with the IRN breeder so that is why I waiting to decide.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you! I’m thinking the same. I want a bird that a little more independent so I can clean the house/ cook etc but I would like if he got on my shoulder or just let me hold him in my hand while I talk to him. I’ve already met the baby Alex and baby derby but I haven’t been able to meet up with the IRN breeder so that is why I waiting to decide.
It sounds like one of these guys will suit you :) They love their people and love spending their days with them. They are independent in that they will happily play for a foraging toy whilst you are cooking etc. At the moment Pi my plumhead is eating a sugar snap pea on his play stand and I can type without him needing to do it for me ;)

Pi will relax and sleep on my shoulder and he will also step-up like a champion. I always reward him with a little treat so I am sure this helped. He will also gladly sing with me. They are fantastic!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
May I ask why a breeder bird & not an adoption from a rescue? Maybe you could find your answer by letting the bird choose you....

Just a random thought.

:hello1:& :welcomesign: to AA!

:grouphug2: Rain

Littlepixie12

Real Name
Gabriela Fatone
May I ask why a breeder bird & not an adoption from a rescue? Maybe you could find your answer by letting the bird choose you....

Just a random thought.

:hello1:& :welcomesign: to AA!

:grouphug2: Rain
I’ve looked at all the rescues near me and none of them have any birds. It’s so strange to me. We are originally from NY and most of my other birds were rescued but we moved to Texas and not one rescue (there aren’t really many in my area) have birds. I have seen some local Facebook or Craigslist people trying to rehome birds but I don’t know if I trust that too much.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Gabriela,

I´m sorry for the loss of your conure.

Good luck finding your feathered companion :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve looked at all the rescues near me and none of them have any birds. It’s so strange to me. We are originally from NY and most of my other birds were rescued but we moved to Texas and not one rescue (there aren’t really many in my area) have birds. I have seen some local Facebook or Craigslist people trying to rehome birds but I don’t know if I trust that too much.

I've read there are a ton of wild parrots (like there's any other kind) but that they're more like released parrots that continued to live after, in CA & TX specifically. I've also heard to be careful about Newcastle disease & traveling w/ or for a parrot. It's only in certain states but CA is one if your in that portion of TX. I don't know that much about it other then it's a death sentence if a bird catches it. Please continue to be careful w/ CraigslistCraigslist. A few years ago when I got Buddy one other newer member was in or near your state & was having some issues w/ it. Bad breeders asking a ton of money & feeding poor diet w/ bad house & nest conditions. Type of situations... I don't remember the members name right now, or I might've been able to check. Sorry.

I hope you find a fid that's a good fit for you soon.

:bighug: