• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice before going to the hospital for the first time

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello!:pinklol3:
I will go to the hospital for the first time after getting my bird, and he does not have bad symptoms, so I'm not sure what to do. At first, it was called a regular checkup, but if you take it for the first time, please advise if you need to do other tests, such as blood tests or later.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For his first time at the vet, blood tests are always a very good idea. These tests would be a complete blood count (CBC) and a Chem Panel. This will set a baseline for future issues. On the first visit the vet should do a very thorough external physical exam. an anal and throat swab and gram stain. If these basic tests show the existence of something going on, the evidence they have provided may suggest the wisdom of other tests.

Please ask ALL of your questions and insist on answers. Make sure you listen and know which (if any) drugs he is prescribing.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
For his first time at the vet, blood tests are always a very good idea. These tests would be a complete blood count (CBC) and a Chem Panel. This will set a baseline for future issues. On the first visit the vet should do a very thorough external physical exam. an anal and throat swab and gram stain. If these basic tests show the existence of something going on, the evidence they have provided may suggest the wisdom of other tests.

Please ask ALL of your questions and insist on answers. Make sure you listen and know which (if any) drugs he is prescribing.
I agree with you, because I hear that blood tests are very important so I can use them later. Since my bird makes a sneezing sound from a certain moment, it is so scary that if you go to the hospital for some reason, I will feel comfortable. And my bird is saying "chi", but this is like a sneeze. How do birds sneeze? I'm so worried that it's not normal for birds to sneeze.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds pretty much sneeze like a human does. Sneezes in themselves are not unusual nor an indication of a disease. If she is sneezing a lot (numerous times per day) and if there are liquids or mucous coming from her nares, it could be an illness.

Don't be so nervous nor scared - millions of us got to the vet all of the time.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Birds pretty much sneeze like a human does. Sneezes in themselves are not unusual nor an indication of a disease. If she is sneezing a lot (numerous times per day) and if there are liquids or mucous coming from her nares, it could be an illness.

Don't be so nervous nor scared - millions of us got to the vet all of the time.
When my bird coughs, there is no liquid or discharge yet, and I think I cough about 7 times a day, so is this normal?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I do not know - I don't know your bird and I'm not a veterinarian.
Do you have an air puifier - you should.