• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a male with my female cockatiel

Rosalindag

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rosalinda Garcia
I have a 7month female cockatiel named Sushi. And I am looking to add a baby male for a friend. I won’t start searching for a cockatiel until Sushi is 9-10 months because I have a future trip planned. I do plan on buying a baby male from a local breeder. I just want to know how will adding a young male affect Sushi. I’ve read something about laying eggs which she hasn’t layed yet. I am not interested in breeding so I do want to discourage that. Sushi has a very clingy personality and is attached to me but she’s not scared of my budgies. I just don’t want to stress sushi out by adding a young male. Please give me all the advice/ helpful tips!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Keep in mind they may not get along. To start with you will need two cages to have their own space, in the future if they bond, you can house them together, but it should be a gradual process.
As for the eggs, buying a set of dummy eggs is a great investment when you have a pair of birds. Until then, you can boil, mark with a sharpie pen and then put back where you found them once cooled :)

Chris82

Strolling the yard
I’m getting a male in a couple of weeks so I’ll let you know what happens lol

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup: