• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A post for Isadora and her shenanigans

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I thought the same! My Greenie was hard enough on hers the way she'd pull and ping the bars was awful and it's a sturdy HQ.

I worry for the welds on the cage honestly in all seriousness.

I've experienced first hand the strength of a Toos beak. I was bitten on my wrist by an M2 he grabbed and squeezed and I heard something pop and it was bruised for weeks. So having had a flight cage for 16 years now I can't imagine it could withstand a determined Too.
What cage was she in beforehand if you don't mind me asking.
A smaller cage for her quarantine. This one is bigger all over, and when I talked to the customer service lady she said a too should be fine in it :unsure1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Minimum cage space should be 1.5x their wingspan wide and 1x wingspan deep so that they can spread their wings inside. Her wingspan is probably in the 28-30" area, making this cage too small for long term use, sadly! And yeah if she sets her mind to it, she will be able to dismantle it haha. Those flight cages are designed for smaller birds with less overall strength.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A smaller cage for her quarantine. This one is bigger all over, and when I talked to the customer service lady she said a too should be fine in it :unsure1:
Unfortunately I don't think this will be a good long term cage for you. The strength Toos have will be no match for a cage designed with Finches and Budgies in mind orginally. I wouldn't put any birdie larger or stronger than a Sun Conure in one personally and that's stretching it. I had a Sun for several years in one and he could bow the bars when he set his mind to it and I was fairly limited on how I could set it up so he had enough space to move around and play.
I'm really sorry you were mislead. Maybe she thought you ment a Cockatiel.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ah poot.

Alright well, it shouldn’t take long for me to get a different cage. Maybe this will work for my (eventual, hopefully) IRN :roflmao:

So far (KNOCK ON WOOD EVERYONE) she hasn’t been a bar biter. She’s too busy destroying every toy she’s offered.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah poot.

Alright well, it shouldn’t take long for me to get a different cage. Maybe this will work for my (eventual, hopefully) IRN :roflmao:

So far (KNOCK ON WOOD EVERYONE) she hasn’t been a bar biter. She’s too busy destroying every toy she’s offered.
That's good news! All hail the toy killing

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I know everyone is saying toos are super strong, but some are still very gently.
Quarter's aviary mesh I really doubt would keep any other strong too in, but is completely fine for him as he's a softy.
It's probably wise to still get a better cage just so you don't have to worry about escaping.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know everyone is saying toos are super strong, but some are still very gently.
Quarter's aviary mesh I really doubt would keep any other strong too in, but is completely fine for him as he's a softy.
It's probably wise to still get a better cage just so you don't have to worry about escaping.
I keep watching her to see, and as of yet the only time I’ve seen her put her beak on the bars is to climb around. I’ve got feelers out for a larger (and stronger) cage. This one boasts 15 cubic feet of interior space which sounded like SO MUCH before putting her in there - I guess seeing the visual of her size vs cage size made it click that 15 cubic feet isn’t quiiiiiiite as much as I thought.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I keep watching her to see, and as of yet the only time I’ve seen her put her beak on the bars is to climb around. I’ve got feelers out for a larger (and stronger) cage. This one boasts 15 cubic feet of interior space which sounded like SO MUCH before putting her in there - I guess seeing the visual of her size vs cage size made it click that 15 cubic feet isn’t quiiiiiiite as much as I thought.
Yeah they usually try to sell you with more with vertical space, but birds tend to not use all of the vertical space available to them. Kinda like how a bathroom with vaulted ceilings might make it feel larger, but the height doesn't mean quite so much when you're only able to use the ground level! I always say "birds fly like airplanes, not helicopters" to remind myself that width and depth are more important than height!

I find this a really good reference as it uses actual data that Dr. Scott McDonald has collected on birds: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, that is the cage I buy for the budgies. It's a great flight cage for them, and it is a good cage for small birds--half-inch bar spacing, well made, lots of room for them.

The folks at Exotic Nutrition are good, but the cage is designed for Sugar Gliders. The company mostly makes items for the small mammal exotics, not parrots. So, the customer service lady doesn't have the experience, I'm afraid.

You'll find a great cage for her, I'm sure! Long may she reign!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I found out this morning, she loves my son.

He came into the bird room with me, and she was doing everything she could to get as close as possible to him - and not in a threatening manner. She was talking and stretching out to him and doing everything possible to get his attention. Every time he said “hey Isadora!” She popped her crest up and started bobbing. Losing my bird to my three year old was not on my bingo card :grumpy:

For his part, Roland kept a healthy distance. He doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of birds :roflmao: Tteok landed on his head one time and I think it traumatized him. He loves them from a distance, but no touchy.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
She’s so gorgeous sounds like she’s definitely coming around :heart:

my daughter same she likes making them toys but not so much when they hand on her she’s ok with pico but not others bless him at least he goes in:heart:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie