• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Little Worried about my Canary

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, that’s normal. Pellets change the color exactly as you described.

Reactions: Ali

arayabd

Meeting neighbors
Hi @Monaco and @finchly - she's now taken to sitting in her food dish for the entire day unless I bring her cage outside with me in the backyard. Her feces also has a slight musky smell which makes me a bit worried, but could just be the pellets. She's also incredibly aggressive. Are these behaviours normal while nesting?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Can you please describe the aggression? I'm not sure I will have any input, but I'm very interested.

Have you tried rearranging her cage? Even changing the dishes might help (swap water and food location) and offer some flight time.

I would say it's time for more in depth investigation about why there's not much movement.

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sometimes they do get aggressive while nesting. I would not be worried about that. As far as sitting in the nest, i don't really have your answer. I want to say "some birds do that" but then again, it could indicate a problem.

I tend to just let them be, so unless I saw a further issue like fluffing up, lethargy etc. I would probably not worry about it.

arayabd

Meeting neighbors
Can you please describe the aggression? I'm not sure I will have any input, but I'm very interested.

Have you tried rearranging her cage? Even changing the dishes might help (swap water and food location) and offer some flight time.

I would say it's time for more in depth investigation about why there's not much movement.
I've rearranged her cage a bit! Even swapping in some cotton puffs over the dish she's usually sitting in so she can sit comfortably, while offering more food at another part of the cage. I also keep her door open but she's just not interesting - UNTIL the moment I set her cage down outside. Then she'll sunbathe and hop all over, taking baths and singing like normal. It's like she's throwing a tantrum!

arayabd

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes they do get aggressive while nesting. I would not be worried about that. As far as sitting in the nest, i don't really have your answer. I want to say "some birds do that" but then again, it could indicate a problem.

I tend to just let them be, so unless I saw a further issue like fluffing up, lethargy etc. I would probably not worry about it.
Thanks Finchly! She's not particularly fluffed up, more just "chilling." I can tell the difference because she fluffs up like usual when she's going to sleep!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@finchly how long can it go on without eggs?

@arayabd I would be a wreck, I am glad you can get her moving if only to check for eggs or any other issues. Maybe take her outside daily, it sounds like she has a great time in the sunshine.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly how long can it go on without eggs?
Sitting? As long as she wants I guess! Who knows what she is thinking. Maybe she is playing at being a momma.

@arayabd seems to be very attentive, surely she will notice if there’s a problem... however I did see a mention of tail bobbing in another thread. Did that get resolved?

arayabd

Meeting neighbors
Sitting? As long as she wants I guess! Who knows what she is thinking. Maybe she is playing at being a momma.

@arayabd seems to be very attentive, surely she will notice if there’s a problem... however I did see a mention of tail bobbing in another thread. Did that get resolved?
Thanks Finchly! No more tail bobbing, just straight chillin'