• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little help please! (Lovebirds)

Aya&Ponzu

Moving in
So this has been an ongoing problem with my lovebird pair. Basically, I have a female and a male (not sure about this, but most likely) and the female is more brave in terms of exploring new areas/people and she doesn’t get scared very easily. Whereas my male does. And so since around September, the female has become really aggressive and territorial. She tries to bite me through the cage when I’m changing her food and water (by lunging at my fingers) and also whenever I have her out of her cage, she’s flying around freely within the room or perching somewhere, but if I try to go near or if i touch her cage, she immedietaly flies towards me to ‘defend’ her cage I’m assuming. The male practically has no part in this problem, he’s used to me by now but he has never bit me hard or done anything to show discomfort. At first, i thought it would just be a hormonal thing and so I took her happy hut out and decreased her daytime a bit (as mentioned in my previous post). This helped a bit because before, she would fly to my shoulder as soon as I opened the cage door and starting biting my ear, chin, any skin she could get at, and now she only tries to bite me if I come close. I don’t think she’s feeling protective of the male or anything since she has no problem with me getting close to him or stroking him a bit. I’ve done a lot of things I could think about but I honestly have no idea what else to do. It’s been about 3 months now so I don’t think it’s something hormonal…?
Right now, when I have them out of their cages, I just let them do their own thing because they both stick together so I can’t play with the male without the female trying to bite me. I get that they won’t be as close to me since they are paired to each other but i didn’t think the female would become so aggressive? Additionally, the female was unpaired and since she seemed lonely, i bought a male a few weeks after getting her, but before I did, she was so clingy and would love to snuggle with me so I don’t think she has a problem with humans in general. Please help, lovebird owners know how hard they can bite and how they never let go… :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hey welcome to female lovebird I think this is just who they are mini assassins

I have same problem with mine although she calmed a little bit isn’t flying at me to bite
If I want to clean her cage a shut her in pico cage I can change her water and food bowls but I feel this is because it the farest away from her favourite perch because if I go anyway near that she attacks changing her foraging toys attacks

I’ve found getting her flying more recall she’s a no hands bird but if I tap my arm she will come to my arm give treat depending on her mood treats either a longer piece of millet or a safflower seed if she’s playing nice
I got told by my vet to decrease her sunflower seeds to next to nothing as this can cause hormonal behaviours
I’ve increased her foraging so she as less food in her bowl and has to find the rest of her food
I have also been offering her treats though cage bars trying to only treat the calm body language before letting her out

I honestly don’t think theres much we can do just to try decrease the behaviours as much as we can I think it’s just who they are but I get it I totally understand how it feels she’s my hardest bird hurts when the bite because it is pure aggression not a nip to tell you off and sometimes there’s no warning with them either

hopefully @Zara can help more