• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a little finch, or 4.

kitty04

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sarah
hi I'm new here, I hope it's the right thread, anyhoo I have 6 finches, all together, I love their honks beeps or what you call it. 2 diff species have bonded well, a society and zebra.
I have 2 other society male and female, and 2 other zebra male and female.
my one female is trying to climb and hump the new society female. she is also society, the one who bonded with zebra.
plz don't be confused, anyway why do females do that? is it normal? also is astro turf OK for an indoor cage or not safe?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!

Sometimes birds can take on behaviors of the other sex.

How big is your cage? Are you housing all 6 together?

Astro turf will be hard to keep clean and can be a breeding ground for bacteria. It will be difficult to clean daily all of the droppings and food that falls in between the blades.

It's best to keep paper in the cage. You can easily change it daily and keep it cleaner. Also it is good to monitor their droppings for any changes. Paper makes it easy to see.

Last edited:

kitty04

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sarah
yeh I'll stick to paper no I haven't been able to put all 6 together, my newish white one zebra, seems to act like a bossy boots and takes the others nests, so to save stress and fights, (although they're not really agressive) I've separated her into a smaller one but it's big enough to fly, after all they're tiny birds.
the main cage with the other 4 is a long flight cage, they love it, its roomy, one of them with a large tray under some bars, which I think is a pain really. they each have build a nest, but the brown female I mentioned, keeps stealing the material from the society boys nest, there's loads to go round, they have the fluffy kind for birds, and also lots of grass which they have really enjoyed shoving in their nest, but she literally can't fit no more but still steals from him.