• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Is she still running around?
Yes running, flying on top of doors (I’m closing all the windows this time) breaking things and throwing container from shelves. Notices she doesn’t grab as hard (though both are bent) with the left feet and bites more when she climbs me, I’m guessing a little soreness.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Here’s a little update about Tangawizi.
In the last week she cutoff her feathers (the yellow ones in her belly) twice. She is eating less vegetables than she used to, it feels as if she’s not that hungry however her weight is stable around 910g but sometimes she would make an exception if I hold it in my mouth and she steals it from it.
She loves her sunflower seeds but we don’t give her too much of it. She eats her pallets whether soaked or as is. She also ea her night formula but she doesn’t seem as excited about it as she usually does.
She’s been screaming a lot lately, it feels she wants out of the cage all the time. Oh also she’s shedding feathers all over.
we have just had a weather transformation from too hot to cold and dry (we have heather and humidifier on all the time) could that contributes her behavior changes? DF937419-C763-4325-9D60-65343CFE2E06.jpeg
F92FE614-AD7B-40AB-B3C4-FB2F71D90930.jpeg She does the cutest thing ever when I preen her new feathers to remove the coating she does the same thing to my hair with her peak lol :heart:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Here’s a little update about Tangawizi.
In the last week she cutoff her feathers (the yellow ones in her belly) twice. She is eating less vegetables than she used to, it feels as if she’s not that hungry however her weight is stable around 910g but sometimes she would make an exception if I hold it in my mouth and she steals it from it.
She loves her sunflower seeds but we don’t give her too much of it. She eats her pallets whether soaked or as is. She also ea her night formula but she doesn’t seem as excited about it as she usually does.
She’s been screaming a lot lately, it feels she wants out of the cage all the time. Oh also she’s shedding feathers all over.
we have just had a weather transformation from too hot to cold and dry (we have heather and humidifier on all the time) could that contributes her behavior changes? View attachment 365487
View attachment 365488 She does the cutest thing ever when I preen her new feathers to remove the coating she does the same thing to my hair with her peak lol :heart:
Could she possibly be moulting?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Nouf, I’m not sure what’s normal and what’s not... Burt goes through weeks where he eats like he’s been starved and then there’s other weeks where I stress some about how little of his fresh yummy foods he wants. He always seems to have more than enough energy and his body condition pretty much stays the same.
I find if I even once give Burt attention (good or bad) when he screams then he tries it on again and again to get either attention or what he wants. Do you always respond to Tanga when she screams?
I can’t enlarge the pic on my phone (for some reason this week it won’t let me zoom in on pics here on AA) to see the feathers - hopefully they’re not all snipped ones.
Hopefully Sarah will be along soon to have a look at your pics and give you some advice.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All but two are barbered.

Do you feel that whatever the vet did for her last time fixed the issue and now it is back again?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Nouf, I’m not sure what’s normal and what’s not... Burt goes through weeks where he eats like he’s been starved and then there’s other weeks where I stress some about how little of his fresh yummy foods he wants. He always seems to have more than enough energy and his body condition pretty much stays the same.
I find if I even once give Burt attention (good or bad) when he screams then he tries it on again and again to get either attention or what he wants. Do you always respond to Tanga when she screams?
I can’t enlarge the pic on my phone (for some reason this week it won’t let me zoom in on pics here on AA) to see the feathers - hopefully they’re not all snipped ones.
Hopefully Sarah will be along soon to have a look at your pics and give you some advice.
It’s comforting to know the appetite issue isn’t an issue, her energy levels are the same and nothing changed.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
All but two are barbered.

Do you feel that whatever the vet did for her last time fixed the issue and now it is back again?
sorry I didn’t add a description to the images, so the first image are all barbered (snipped) and the second for feathers that naturally fell (they all have the root of the feather attached) I’m not sure if whatever she had before came back but it won’t hurt to do another stool test, I think she’s is molting because her feathers are falling left and right but shes only snipping the tummy side. She also has a lot of new feathers with the white matter coating them.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
sorry I didn’t add a description to the images, so the first image are all barbered (snipped) and the second for feathers that naturally fell (they all have the root of the feather attached) I’m not sure if whatever she had before came back but it won’t hurt to do another stool test, I think she’s is molting because her feathers are falling left and right but shes only snipping the tummy side. She also has a lot of new feathers with the white matter coating them.
I also only see two untouched feathers in the second pic, the rest look chewed up to me :(

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
I also only see two untouched feathers in the second pic, the rest look chewed up to me :(
Really :(? Correct me if I’m wrong if the root is still attached that means it wasn’t chewed right? And if it has a sharp straight edge it means it’s been snipped? If so then I assure you I have divided them correctly and it must be the image quality :( I’ll go to the vet today and hopefully everything will be good.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Really :(? Correct me if I’m wrong if the root is still attached that means it wasn’t chewed right? And if it has a sharp straight edge it means it’s been snipped? If so then I assure you I have divided them correctly and it must be the image quality :( I’ll go to the vet today and hopefully everything will be good.
Double check with @Macawnutz . In the bottom pic I see only two that look (to me) like they naturally fell and even those look like she might have chewed them some before they dropped?

I could be wrong- my picture quality is not the best and I’m no expert at any of this stuff.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
we still feed her formula at night, can we stop it abruptly or we should wait till she no longer wants it (in case it’s the culprit)? Also is it ok to blend all the vegetables and feed it to her using a spoon or she has to chew them?

she also barbered today but I’m starting to think it’s because of the gray fuzzy feathers, because last time she was cutting the feathers next to the broken wings where the tips where annoying her a lot and she’d chop whatever gets in the way.
The amount of overthink/analysis this cutie is giving me :depressed:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hold tight and wait for the more experienced macaw owners to answer you.
I think I’ve been very lucky with all my past and present birds as I’ve not had to deal with the problems you’re dealing with, it must be stressful:(
:bighug:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
These three look molted.

F92FE614-AD7B-40AB-B3C4-FB2F71D90930.jpg

The rest look to be snipped.

It's unusual for a young bird to be doing this and I do not believe it's going to be feeding related. Unless it was something like an allergy to food. While barbering is grouped into a category of feather destruction it can be quite different from actually plucking the feathers. That is why I keep asking you to note when and why she does it.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
These three look molted.

View attachment 365553

The rest look to be snipped.

It's unusual for a young bird to be doing this and I do not believe it's going to be feeding related. Unless it was something like an allergy to food. While barbering is grouped into a category of feather destruction it can be quite different from actually plucking the feathers. That is why I keep asking you to note when and why she does it.

Thank you! I’ll read the article right away.
She doesn’t do it while with us, she only does it once a day and doesn’t repeat it the rest of the day and it usually while relaxed and alone in the cage. Food and water and toy always presented in her cage. She wants out of the cage all the times. Could it be dry weather? Because even I these days wake up with painfully dry eyes in spite of of the humidifier.

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
We went to the vet and he said she just needs versele laga and we did her beak too! Check our beautiful Tangawizi new look 49DB63D3-4503-4E0B-B145-231EA5BA740B.jpeg