• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

8 weeks Blue and gold baby

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Hello everyone,

Today my wife and I got a blue and gold from a breeder with the Scissor Beak condition, and this is our first time we take care of a Macaw bird so I have few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. Is Scissor Beak a problem for wood chewing or nutshell breaking? how can we cure it?
2. Is it normal that my first eats 5 times a day its weight around 650 grams the thins is each time the parrot won't eat more than 60-75 cc then it refuses to eat. and should i play with the baby or take it to bed
3. When can i start giving the parrot veggies and fruits?
4. When can i start showering the parrot?
5. Is it okay that she doesn't walk more than 3 steps every 30 min almost she doesn't move at all when i take her out of the avairy?
6. When can i start trimming the nails and the Beak?
7. The best age to start training? can i potty train them?
8. When i left her to sleep today she tried to scream, is that okay?
9. How can i play or hug with her at this age?
10. Can she sleeps in the living room while people are talking and tv is on?

Thanks in advance for your time!
7d85af7f69b9b60cfa56315bd9bf065.jpg

7ce6c273e0987bb3dc24bfc785e56c2.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @macawpower58 @Karen @expressmailtome

What a cute baby you have, hopefully some of the more experienced macaw people will be along soon to give you some advice.
Is there a reason you were able to have the baby at your house so young before it has weaned? I just find it a little strange as it comes across like you have not been given any of the information you need to give this baby the best start from whoever you got it from, you have an unweaned baby and not much knowledge on how to deal with the problems your baby has now. Have you done this before? I am not trying to be rude so please do not take it that way- I just find this situation you are in a little scary.

When you say aviary do you mean this baby is currently living outside or do you have an indoor aviary?

The others will be along soon to hopefully explain the scissor beak treatments and care that is suggested, nail care (I am trying to get my boys nails done and he does not want to co operate this week lol), amount and frequency of feeding and other feeding information, potty training (not the best idea), sleep needs and hopefully a heap of other information you will need to safely raise this baby into a healthy adult bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Today my wife and I got a blue and gold from a breeder with the Scissor Beak condition, and this is our first time we take care of a Macaw bird so I have few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. Is Scissor Beak a problem for wood chewing or nutshell breaking? how can we cure it?
2. Is it normal that my first eats 5 times a day its weight around 650 grams the thins is each time the parrot won't eat more than 60-75 cc then it refuses to eat. and should i play with the baby or take it to bed
3. When can i start giving the parrot veggies and fruits?
4. When can i start showering the parrot?
5. Is it okay that she doesn't walk more than 3 steps every 30 min almost she doesn't move at all when i take her out of the avairy?
6. When can i start trimming the nails and the Beak?
7. The best age to start training? can i potty train them?
8. When i left her to sleep today she tried to scream, is that okay?
9. How can i play or hug with her at this age?
10. Can she sleeps in the living room while people are talking and tv is on?
1. At this age it can be cured and is usually the result of improper handfeeding. I can't tell from your photos if it is even truly enough to worry about. It might straighten itself.
2. You should only be feeding 10% of the body weight per feeding so 65cc. Too much and you can stretch the crop and risk aspiration. The weight is a little low but the age could be a little off. Make sure you are preparing the formula as directed on the package. Too thin and no nourishment, too thick and you can cause fungal growth. Make sure your temperature of the formula is between 102-105 degrees F. Too cold can cause fungal growth and too hot can cause crop burn. Weigh your baby everyday at the same time. In the morning before breakfast and after the first poop of the day. Make sue her crop empties overnight.
3. They play with food until about 14-20 weeks old. Some wean at around 16 weeks and others take many more months.
4. Not until he is fully feathered. He needs to stay warm. Wipe with a warm wet cloth and keep him warm while he dries.
5. Babies do not leave the nest until they fly. They are not great walkers. He is normal.
6. He is not needing nails done until he is flying to your arm and scratching you. Beaks are not often done, see a vet about scissor beak if needed.
7. Never potty train. It caused lots of health related issues.
8. Babies like attention, they also like to know that you will come when they need help.
9. Just love and talking. A little too young too play. They really just need to stay in a warm area at this age. It will change fast though.
10. As long as she gets a good 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw @macawpower58 @Karen @expressmailtome

What a cute baby you have, hopefully some of the more experienced macaw people will be along soon to give you some advice.
Is there a reason you were able to have the baby at your house so young before it has weaned? I just find it a little strange as it comes across like you have not been given any of the information you need to give this baby the best start from whoever you got it from, you have an unweaned baby and not much knowledge on how to deal with the problems your baby has now. Have you done this before? I am not trying to be rude so please do not take it that way- I just find this situation you are in a little scary.

When you say aviary do you mean this baby is currently living outside or do you have an indoor aviary?

The others will be along soon to hopefully explain the scissor beak treatments and care that is suggested, nail care (I am trying to get my boys nails done and he does not want to co operate this week lol), amount and frequency of feeding and other feeding information, potty training (not the best idea), sleep needs and hopefully a heap of other information you will need to safely raise this baby into a healthy adult bird.
No worries i totally understand your concerns , its an indoor avairy, and i raised parrots before but not this age. the reason is the breeder is greedy and after the beak issue the parrot got he wasn't treating her properly and i couldn't tolerate that.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
1. At this age it can be cured and is usually the result of improper handfeeding. I can't tell from your photos if it is even truly enough to worry about. It might straighten itself.
2. You should only be feeding 10% of the body weight per feeding so 65cc. Too much and you can stretch the crop and risk aspiration. The weight is a little low but the age could be a little off. Make sure you are preparing the formula as directed on the package. Too thin and no nourishment, too thick and you can cause fungal growth. Make sure your temperature of the formula is between 102-105 degrees F. Too cold can cause fungal growth and too hot can cause crop burn. Weigh your baby everyday at the same time. In the morning before breakfast and after the first poop of the day. Make sue her crop empties overnight.
3. They play with food until about 14-20 weeks old. Some wean at around 16 weeks and others take many more months.
4. Not until he is fully feathered. He needs to stay warm. Wipe with a warm wet cloth and keep him warm while he dries.
5. Babies do not leave the nest until they fly. They are not great walkers. He is normal.
6. He is not needing nails done until he is flying to your arm and scratching you. Beaks are not often done, see a vet about scissor beak if needed.
7. Never potty train. It caused lots of health related issues.
8. Babies like attention, they also like to know that you will come when they need help.
9. Just love and talking. A little too young too play. They really just need to stay in a warm area at this age. It will change fast though.
10. As long as she gets a good 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
thanks a lot for your reply, its very helpful. PFA photos of my baby beak. btw i just weighed her on a professional scale and she weights 997 g.

c81709ad0e118dde376ed95269fbfa3.jpg 776a2373316d6a76034d44aaf01a7e1.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Again, just make sure you weigh her in the morning when she is completely empty to get her actual weight. A full crop and system will easily add almost 100 grams. Write down the weights every morning. These will determine her overall health and be an indicator of trouble. I never fed my BG more than 90cc per feeding even once he was a chunky fat guy. 60-75cc is a good amount for her if that is all she wants. Temperature, consistency and length of time in between feedings also change how much they eat.

While it is scissor beak I think it will correct itself. Is that the side you feed from? I would start feeding her from her right side if you can do that. She is absolutely darling. Looks to have good feather condition so far. Most babies at that age are riddled with stress bars from improper temperatures. Just throw a little towel in her bin so she can stay warm and cuddle. Cute lil bugger... give her a kiss from me!

I see your a long time member here. What parrots do you own?

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Again, just make sure you weigh her in the morning when she is completely empty to get her actual weight. A full crop and system will easily add almost 100 grams. Write down the weights every morning. These will determine her overall health and be an indicator of trouble. I never fed my BG more than 90cc per feeding even once he was a chunky fat guy. 60-75cc is a good amount for her if that is all she wants. Temperature, consistency and length of time in between feedings also change how much they eat.

While it is scissor beak I think it will correct itself. Is that the side you feed from? I would start feeding her from her right side if you can do that. She is absolutely darling. Looks to have good feather condition so far. Most babies at that age are riddled with stress bars from improper temperatures. Just throw a little towel in her bin so she can stay warm and cuddle. Cute lil bugger... give her a kiss from me!

I see your a long time member here. What parrots do you own?
i am doing my best to feed her from the right side, today she almost choked i think she isn't comfortable from that side cuz when i tried the other side it was smooth, i am really worried about her beak condition cuz i want her to be able to play and chew woods, today is our second day and she is more excited but i have 2 more questions if you don't mind.

1. why every time i feed her she doesn't want anyone to touch her As a matter of fact I notice she doesn't like to be touched a lot, maybe because this is only the second day?
2. I notice every time i take her out of her basket she blush in pink.
123655a7426189211d7c69c0395a147.jpg

is there anything i can do for this beak :(

f1492b0d8f0e7115f0ef2b789d591c8.jpg

well, I used to own an African grey and a double yellow headed amazon parrot. The African grey was my parents and they wont allow me to take it with me so its at there home. 3 years ago my neighbor's daughter was infected by cancer and my amazon was the only thing that made her feel better so i gave it to her as a gift after 5 years of caring.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Nope, we don't want choking. Just feed like you have been but try not to apply a bunch of pressure to that side. I think it will fix itself with some time but I would get her to an avian vet to get a check up anyhow. When you are cuddling just give soft little pushes to keep the muscles loose in that area. Gentle stretches.

1. She is a baby. Imagine you have a 8 day old human child. Everything she knows is gone and everything smells weird. They don't even have great eyesight at that age. Just be the one that provides food and love and she will come around.
2. Blue and Golds blush. It's common. They can do it when mad, scared, in love.... My guy only blushes very slightly if he is in trouble and is sorry. LOL

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
Nope, we don't want choking. Just feed like you have been but try not to apply a bunch of pressure to that side. I think it will fix itself with some time but I would get her to an avian vet to get a check up anyhow. When you are cuddling just give soft little pushes to keep the muscles loose in that area. Gentle stretches.

1. She is a baby. Imagine you have a 8 day old human child. Everything she knows is gone and everything smells weird. They don't even have great eyesight at that age. Just be the one that provides food and love and she will come around.
2. Blue and Golds blush. It's common. They can do it when mad, scared, in love.... My guy only blushes very slightly if he is in trouble and is sorry. LOL

Dr please help me, she is sneezing all the time and her nose is runny is there anything i can do? i just added a moisturizer in her room she is breathing from her mouth.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
and btw i live in a very dusty city and now its a season for dust so humans become allergic, maybe this is one of the reasons? maybe i some food went to her respiratory system? maybe because i took her from the breeder to my home yesterday the climate changed for her? after we added the humidifier i sucked out her nose holes and now she stopped sneezing and she can breathe from her nose she is more relaxed i added a towel around her body so she can sleep better i turned off all the air conditions in the home and now its very hot in here but i am worried about her health, she comes first.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OMG I remember worrying to death about Korbel... I don't envy you at all....

This is a new bird to you and a tiny baby to boot. You need to make a few calls and find an avian vet that's used to seeing birds. A simple checkup is where you want to start because I know full well how stressful this is going to be for you. Weko, trust me... find a vet a get a new bird checkup. 1. you will feel better as a professional checked out your sweetie and 2. you will have a relationship with a vet for down the road if something more is needed.

Babies shouldn't be in a drafty area. They like to be warm. I'm cautious to say this but I used to put a heating pad under Korbel's baby tub. VERY CAREFUL to make sure it did not get too warm for him sitting in one spot. I had the heating pad on the carpet with towels laid over it and then his baby tub. I also had a fish tank thermometer on the bottom of his tub so I could read the temp.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0503.JPG

Last edited:

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
OMG I remember worrying to death about Korbel... I don't envy you at all....

This is a new bird to you and a tiny baby to boot. You need to make a few calls and find an avian vet that's used to seeing birds. A simple checkup is where you want to start because I know full well how stressful this is going to be for you. Weko, trust me... find a vet a get a new bird checkup. 1. you will feel better as a professional checked out your sweetie and 2. you will have a relationship with a vet for down the road if something more is needed.

Babies shouldn't be in a drafty area. They like to be warm. I'm cautious to say this but I used to put a heating pad under Korbel's baby tub. VERY CAREFUL to make sure it did not get too warm for him sitting in one spot. I had the heating pad on the carpet with towels laid over it and then his baby tub. I also had a fish tank thermometer on the bottom of his tub so I could read the temp.

View attachment 338118

View attachment 338119 View attachment 338120 View attachment 338121 View attachment 338122
Thank you!
truly appreciate the time you took to write this down.
the problem is that we don't have a trustworthy avian that specializes in parrots health here in Saudi Arabia and they would prescribe an antibiotic for almost anything.
really freaking out and my heart is breaking for the little fella.

do you know any avian that do consultations remotely or online?

Thanks again

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well, you are not going to get through this birds life without a vet, I assure you. Call some zoos and see who they use.

Keep her clean and warm. Disinfect all your feeding utensils and keep her area clean. A few sneezes are not terrible, your heart doesn't have to break. Just keep track of feeding amounts/times and weights.

She is darling. Almost makes me miss the baby stage.... almost but no.

weko

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
weko
quick update, she woke up hungry i weighted her she is 975G she ate almost 85cc she is healthy no more runny nose till now. but do you really think her beak can get better by it self? i don't need to do anything to it massage try to move it to the left? oh one
more thing she is becoming more active today she tried to leave her aviary and later tried to get back in! walking more than yesterday.

a9b7b315ed99fc8e5394b60c1ed398e.jpg